Risk Taking

disland

• Baller

@disland - I wonder if anyone else on here besides you and me reads Ski Racing. Maybe a couple.

I think risk taking in water skiing applies most to jump. How to incorporate risk into your training in a smart way that limits your potential for injury, but maximizes your progression. I'm going through that with my 16 yr old son now. It's a mix of learning good technique from good coaches, athleticism, cojones, and brains. Very much like the speed events in alpine racing.

• Baller
@jimbrake I'm guessing @Drago reads ski racing :) . The author of the article, Dr. Taylor (www.drjimtaylor.com), has some great insights on competition in general, applicable to more than just ski racing if anyone is interested in the mental aspects of competing.

• Administrators

@jimbrake

I fixed your post. I could explain why but this seems better.

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

• Baller

This is a somewhat apples to apples comparison between ski racing and water ski short line slalom skiing on the risk taking equation, however, water skiing is so much more of a controlled environment with less variables than ski racing so the big difference is in water skiing you believe one or the other where ski racing you need to evaluate other factors.

There are discussions all the time on here about ski paths and what is the optimum path through the slalom course. Some argue it is the fast and narrow which you have to ski at shorter lines, but that feels "risky" and fast, while some say that the more rounded early approach is best. That is much like the more direct lines in ski racing are faster, but don't feel as controlled as a slightly more rounded approach.

In my ski racing experience, which was decades ago, it depended on the terrain and course set up that changed with every race which helped dictate the risks you could take and course inspection, understanding of the terrain etc... really guided when to take risks and when not to. Some courses/sections were great for "taking risks" others rewarded a more measured approach.

Great article, thanks for posting!

• Baller
@Stevie Boy careful getting up off that couch ;) Waterskiing has risk, snow ski racing has a lot more. The article is talking about risk/reward for taking various levels of risk. If you're not falling/crashing occasionally then you are not trying hard enough or you are not trying to be competitive (which is fine). For my part, if I am consciously making a risk decision while skiing then it is already too late and I'd better give up on the run because I'm not thinking about what I need to do to finish. The trick is training your subconscious to get better at making those decisions that you don't have time to "think" about.

• Baller
at the risk of getting another panda. When I posted this I was thinking about the process of how we go about training. Not how you think in the middle of specific run but more about how we go about improving thru stretching our boundaries and comfort zone. Just like Chet spoke about in the video. If you keep going about your skiing the same way you will not improve.

• Baller
@jimbrake I didn't even know the panda*3 was yours. I would guess jump is more like alpine (felt similar when I did my 3 total jumps in my life). I agree with what (I think) you said, The closer you get to true alpine racing and knowledge, the less similarly

Please do not take risks! I would suggest you push the boundaries of your style gently. Look at your weakness and work on it. Maybe, hips further forward, hands on longer , you have read all the tips.

If you cant hold it , throw it, let it go. Their is always the next pass. 27 years of slalom and one lesson learnt, don't take risks. (One very nasty otf that nearly changed my life, where my ambition outweighed my talent).

I am planning next season already, with some 'exercise', and visits to some old friends at Extreme-gene in Spain and Swiss ski school, Florida. This sport has fascinated me , challenged me and kept me vital. I met so many interesting people in my skiing career and I wondered why. Skijay sums it up in the last chapter of his book with a comparison to motor racing. We are like minded people.

Please do not risk all for one tiny moment. At 57 I am planning many more years of Bouy hunting!