Would you continue skiing if you knew you set your last PB?

oneski

• Baller
I'd never consider the question , rather I'd always be focused on recovery and getting back. Agree with so many of the comments here that focus on the joy of the sport, not the end result only. Let's face it, with age you at some point ARE going to be past the point of maintaining a PB . But why should that stop you from enjoying something you are so passionate about. Enjoy it all - PB or not. If you're only in it for the next level.. you're doomed to eventual disappointment. At age 62 I'm blessed to still be crankin it, but my goal each day is to have fun, not get hurt, and ski again tomorrow.

• Baller
@Ilivetoski you are still young my guess is your perspective will change as you get older. I haven’t had a Pab in golf in 10 years and I still love the game. I am very competitive as well and focusing on being as good as I can be given whatever challenges are in front of me keep me going. As you age there comes a time when you don’t improve (I don’t think I am there yet) but that doesn’t mean you should quit everything.

• Baller
If my plan works properly.......I will stop skiing when I stop breathing! PB's are great but it's ok to adjust expectations with time and changes in life. This is not how most of us make our living, it's what we like to do when are not making our living! Ski on!

• Baller
I had a major milestone in my skiing when I hit M7. With the reduction in speed from 34 to 32 all of a sudden I realized that in reality I'd never again have a PB and that my goal of running 35 off (at 34) in a tournament would never happen. Anything that I scored would have the dreaded * attached if only in my mind. It was kind of a melancholy moment as that really smacked me that I'm getting old. I'm still skiing, knowing that PBs are a thing of the past, but my drive is waning as I see my performance level sinking a little each year.

• Baller

@LeonL my dad went through a similar thing with golf in his mid 70s and took a year off. He is back playing again and has a renewed attitude enjoying being able to be out there.

I have been off the water for a couple of years (I am ramping up again now) for various health reasons and if I never have a PB again I still love getting out on the water. Being unable to ski makes it a whole lot sweeter when you can ski no matter the level.

• Baller

Lifetime is one thing, but you have localized PBs as well. Even over the course of several seasons my best scores was and wane. I keep skiing and hope to best what I've done recently.

As for lifetime PB I hope I'm not there yet, but M5 so I'm certainly close.

• Baller

I don’t know if it was a PB but @MikeT ran 1@39 today in Men’s 6. I think he has run 38 in a tournament before but it has been a long time. Mike has struggled with some weird injuries the last few years it is great to see him healthy and strong again.

Congratulations Mike. Motivation for us all.

Hey @oneski sorry to hear about that injury mate. If I where in your shoes I would now have only one PB goal.....a solid recovery!. As for a skiing PB that might just end up being a different "type" all together. The reality is due to your injury the goal posts have moved and the game has changed. Harness all that passion and love of skiing that you have and start playing the new game. ;)

• Baller

If any of you fellow ballers need a little extra motivation to help you get you to the next level, then look no further than Jeff Rodgers, who at age 57, went out to Trophy Lakes and just ran 1/2@43’ off the freakin rope! Ok, we know, it’s Jeff Rodgers. And he likely isn’t human. But still, this guy is on the near side of 60 and had the kahunas to run 41’ off in a tournament!

Every time that little voice creeps in my head and says...”you’re getting too old”; “you have a neck injury”; “take it easy and stick to bad mitten or bowling”....I start thinking about what guys like Jeff Rodgers as well as the Big Dawgs and top Masters Men have accomplished.

I’m a realist and know that one day I’ll be too old to ski (at a competitive level)......but that day ain’t today! Remember, age ain’t nuthin but a thing!

• Baller

@oneski

a) would you continue to have sex if you knew it wasn't going to be as great as that one super-amazing time?

b) would you continue to drink beer if you knew you could never get another bottle of that super-amazing craft beer that you can't find anymore?

c) Jeff Rodgers is amazing, but I'm pretty sure he's 51, not 57. Still...

• Baller
EFW, I think most would answer your question with a resounding “yes”, but the more important question is “how” would you live your life? Would you continue to devote the countless hours spent in the gym and on the water trying to improve, or just spend that time doing something more leisurely, like watching tv and drinking beer?

This topic hits home for me as I suffered to back injuries in the last year and had to stay off the ski completely. So with that, I still have been taking my group out to ski once a week and coaching each of them. I found that I am not thrilled with the fact of dry land and driving, but at least I am still growing the sport where I can and pushing mates to hit thier PB's. I doubt I will hit a PB again, but still plan running bouys.... Eventually!

• Baller

I’d like to dedicate to this posting on BOS to the slalom course, for without it, we would all be surfers...

I love trying to get PB’s in the course as a constant journey of pushing myself to be better, to enjoy living in the moment and the comraderie of spending time with those who share the same pursuit of greatness!!

So for me, I will ski until I simply can’t, what age will that be at, only time will tell.

• Baller

For the last 5 years or so, I had the assumption that back surgery, shoulder surgery, elbow bone spurs and AGE have conspired to limit my ability to set a new PB.

But by working on body position, my weight and form I set a new PB last year by a 1/4 buoy and this weekend at a Record Tournament (by 2 1/4 buoys). If at 64 I could set a PB, most everyone can if your truly work at it.

• Baller

I've missed 3 of the last 4 seasons with surgery and/or injury. Taking it easy on the comeback running nothing but 28 off openers and having a blast. No missed balls, never out of position, wide/early, enjoying the swing/accel/cornering. I'm really having fun in an entirely different way than I'm used to...which of course historically is shorten to my level of incompetence and beat the hell out of myself getting out of purple maybe 15% of the time after running effective but abusive 35's.

Skiing is fun, man. I will run down the line again after full recovery...but if this is all I could do I'd keep doing it no question.

• Baller
I’ve never skied a tournament so all my PBs are behind my boat on a portable course. But if for some reason I couldn’t make another, (which I hope is a long way out) I would still be free skiing or course skiing on a longer rope until I couldn’t do that anymore. I was at Eden Lake earlier this year and after my runs a 78 yr old guy came up and ran 2 at -22, not sure what speed but he was still loving it and I hope I’m doing that when I’m that age. Like other have said, it’s so much of a lifestyle and I love waking up and skiing before breakfast and then after dinner. Hanging with other skiers and teaching people how to ski is a blast! One things for sure, I’ll be skiing with a smile on my face til I’m gone then I’ll be creamated with my ski!!!

• Baller
I've set 3 tournament PB's this summer, expecting to get my 4th on Saturday. Of course I'm not setting the world on fire but at 72 I'm pretty happy about the results! It didn't help when M8 increased speed to 32.3 mph but I got a couple @ 15 off, 32.3 mph on Monday. Looking to do that on Saturday for sure. Three rounds so I've got a legitimate shot at it.

• Baller
Yes I would & will keep skiing until I can't anymore. I, like others have said on this thread have actually started skiing better as I age. Mostly because I sought out some coaching but bottom line is - I just enjoy hanging on to a handle behind a boat and swinging back and forth from side to side as best as I can every chance I get! :)