Recommendations for buying first slalom ski

Emmababel

Hi,

I am thinking of buying my first slalom ski, and was wondering if anyone had some advise.

I am not sure what length i would need. I am about 1.62 meters and about 63 kg, would a 65 inch be enough?

I am thinking of buying either a P6 or a Theory. I have skied before. My goal is to be able to get up with one ski on (for the past 2 years i have just dropped one once i got up) and to start going in the course. I am very close to being able to start with one. I have not tried out the slalom course yet, but have done slalom without any buoys, with one ski.

Would a P6 or Theory be best for what I am looking for? I would like to buy a ski that i would use for a while, while i am learning how to get through the course, and that would help me being able to get up with one ski.

• Baller_
@Zman yes but feel the P6 has a wider range for where he is at and how far he wants to go. Had a buddy start out on a Theory and while its a good ski, he advanced quicker on the P6. Skill levels were similar. We kept thinking it would be time to move back to the Theory as he increased his speed in the course but the P6 just kept turning and currently he's rounding buoys @ 30mph. And the reality is it was a bit to long of a ski from the start...but it just keeps performing.

• Baller

@Emmababel I taught my cousin to ski last summer on a Theory. He progressed extremely quickly on it and is getting into the slalom course already. I have since pulled 5 more skiers for their first time ever on a slalom on that ski. I've free skied on the Theory a couple times and it can easily handle some aggressive skiing as well. I've heard great things about the P6 as well, but my only experience is with the Theory.

Either way you go, you cannot go wrong with Radar Skis.

Also, get the best coaching you can, it will help you more than any ski. Welcome to ball of spray, and slalom skiing!

I ended up buying a P6, I found a brand new one for 150 dollars, so now i can't wait for to get home over the summer and try it out (don't know any lakes close to where i live unfortunately). The only thing I need to buy now is the binding, will go with either a vector or a prime.

Thank you!

• Supporting Member
Awesome! Please don't hesitate to share your experiences here. If @Horton's stats are legit, there are a ton of skiers at exactly your level who read the forums regularly. I am also interested to follow, because you question is a very common one, and so it helps me to know about skier's experience with the P6.

Hi, I have finally been able to try out my new skii, and it worked perfect! I made it up with one skii on the second try this time (after having struggled all last summer). After the first time i had a couple of falls, but then today i made it up on every try, and felt a lot more stable. Now the next step is to start going in the course :) All in all, so far the P6 has been working great!