A NEW GOODE!

skibug

• Baller_

Hmmm interesting:

"..the ReVR allows you to carry more speed from buoy line to first wake, leaving you upcourse and ahead of the boat."

Now where have I heard this same philosophy....? Thought Goodes were turning skis ;-)

• Baller_

So in watching the video...which is cool by the way... my questions is... how is it that the slots are not drag? A lot of drag? If I cut the same slots in my ski, I'm almost positive drag would be the result just skiing straight down the lake. What am I missing?

Also, there seems to be no closing of the gaps in the turns. I thought I would see the water get cut off coming though the ski on one side in a turn as it flexes the slots shut or close and then the the reverse when turning the other. And I feel bad for all those flex tails out there that seem to now be relegated to just the spring board to "the greatest innovation to date".

• Supporting Member

@Wish I would not say Goodes were "turning skis" in general. The NanoOne fit that description, but I don't necessarily think the skis before and after it did.

The exact function of the flex tail is likely much more complicated that anyone has been able to measure. It changes flex in multiple dimensions (maybe stiffer in some), and it may affect drag and it clearly affects pressure release (since that water is shooting up through it), much like holes in the fin do.

In fact, seeing that picture makes we wonder if the pressure release as the fin slides is actually the most important aspect, and might help explain why some people really liked the flextail even after blocking most or even all of the slots from flexing.

Pure conjecture. But bottom line there's a lot of complex dynamics going on there.

• Baller
Flextail functions to both enhance turning and, at the conclusion of the turn as the fin "snaps back" it pushes the ski out in front of you. Having skied on one, I definitely feel that the slots created drag -- the ski shut down fast after the second wake. That is a characteristic that some Goode skiers really like.

• Baller_
@Wish He just keeps rolling them out. Like I said about the FT, I will wait for the finished product which this would appear to be. My problem is that I would like to ski on a 2K ski for at least a year before I get teased with and new 2k ski. Rev 7 will be out by the time I get to Cottonwood in June.

• Baller
Skiers love the next bright shinny thing, skiers want to believe its going to make them ski better. Skiers need to be able to pick the difference between genuine innovation and hype. I'm not saying this is the case here but the new Denali is set to make more than a few sales which almost certainly has the attention of the established brands. The pie is only so big after all.

• Baller

I'd be curious to run a FT ski with a little more surface area. The one I skied literally shut down so hard that I would get pulled over the front at the ball as the ski progressively got behind me after release. The turning potential was cool, I felt it seemed too small and unstable at CL, and that a little more size may help both issues. More stable at CL, and ride higher after release such that maintains a little more speed but still turns well would perhaps make it special. Maybe this ski does so.

Given limited water time in MN summer and my other commitments...chances are my only experiments are on my brother's new skis!

• Baller
Only way to tell is to try one out right? They make that pretty easy to do. @6balls you wouldn't even have to smooch off your brother. Just order one for 30 days........... I loved my flextail....... this REV6 is gonna make more people happy......... the sets I had on it were pretty darn sweet this winter!

• Baller

@GOODESkier

Have you skied on the nano 1ft?

If so, you say in anther post that the rev 6 is much more connected than the previous FT. How does that connection feel compared to the N1ft.

I skied the flextail for a month and it just rode too high on the water and I felt out of control.

My N 1ft is so stable but a little more speed across course would be nice.

Matt

• Baller

@mbabiash you nailed it. I was on several sizes/versions of the FT1 this winter and the new Rev6. I only skied my flextail last summer and didn't get on an FT1 until this January. There are some really neat aspects to that ski, but my style is better suited to the flextail shape.

The Rev6 rides more connected, yet is faster cross course. Watching other skiers on the Rev6 made it very noticeable. It really is worth a test/demo.

• Supporting Member

I think it's a little unfair to criticize any manufacturer for coming out with new skis. Consider what I believe are the only possible alternatives:

1) Stop doing R&D.

2) Keep your best ski to yourself until the currently released one has been out for two years.

In my opinion, releasing skis frequently is a much lesser evil than either of those.

But then we as skiers need to have a little bit of discipline. If you want to stay on a ski for two years, then DO.

• Baller_
It is interesting to note the water spray through the gaps on both sides of the ski. Although easy to assume symmetry, the reality could easily be a difference in drag side to side in roll as the water dynamics would be very different (side to side) when the ski is in roll. For oval track racing, we developed a very asymmetrical aerodynamic profile where there was enough side force to significantly yaw or turn the car as it ran around the track. Basically, an object running through a fluid, so the concept and principles apply.

• Baller

Per Goode website, here are the sizes for the Rev6:

Available sizes and recommended sizing:

64.25" - up to 120 lbs.

65.75" - 110 lbs. to 170 lbs.

66.5" - 130 lbs. to 190 lbs.

67.25" - 170 lbs. to 210 lbs.

68" - 200 lbs. and up.

Can anyone sum up why to choose a 67.25" over a 68" or the other way around (other that the obvious weight numbers)?

• Baller

I'm on the 68 at 210.

I'd say the old adage get the biggest ski you can turn, applies with the rev 6.

It is a hard turning ski and keeps speed really well.

I feel it is a little slower across course than the original flextail, but this ski is super stable and it's really hard to get dumped on this ski.

If your in between I'd say go up.