Ski length confusion

Daddyodaman

Hi again, I just turned 40, and for my birthday I was lucky enough to be given a brand new Radar Senate Graphite by all my friends who chipped in together. Super excited about that naturally, but the only thing I'm unsure about is the length. It's a 67" and the guy in the ski shop who sold it to my wife said "get him to call me about making sure it's the right length for him as we can exchange it". I haven't spoken to him yet, but wanted some opinions. According to the radar website, the 67" senate is suited to guys weighing between 160-200lbs. I'm approx 155lbs, 5'9". That puts me in the upper limit of the 65" which is recommended for up to 170lbs, which makes me ask, which size should be better? My current HO TX is a 67" but now I ski at 31-33 mph and I'm trying to get more aggressive with my skiing as I improve. I've read conflicting advice regarding length, and some sites have said longer is better, I'd just love to see what you advise. I only free ski on a fairly well protected river where conditions are very good most of the time. Any thoughts?

• Baller

Have a Chat with the Ski Shop , ask if you can demo the 67 and the 65, if you put tape under the bindings it will not mark the ski, it is the only sure way to tell which ski you feel most comfortable with, if you don't do that, you will always be thinking that maybe you should have had the other ski, you are already questioning the size of ski, that thought will never go away unless you demo the 65 as well as the 67, once you have decided, be happy with your choice and concentrate on your skiing.

• Baller

Although @Stevie Boy is right and it'd be best to demo both, here are a few additional thoughts:

- don't worry too much. It's easy to fall into a mental trap of thinking one size will be "right" and the other would be "horrible" and ruin your skiing. In reality, you'd probably figure out how to make either work.

- That said, the Senate (and its sizing chart) assumes a 34mph boat speed. At 31-33, you might find the 65" a little short/that it rides a little deep in the turn. Similarly, if you find yourself sometimes breaking forward in the turn, that's another reason to favour the 67" - a little more forgiving in the turn.

- On the flip side, if you only free ski... you might find the 65" a little more exciting.

You're probably right andjules, I might be over thinking it. I tend to do that with most things! My 67" TX feels ok (although I don't know any different), so I'm sure the senate wouldn't feel like an oil tanker under my feet. The worst part is at the moment the river I ski on is badly affected by blue green algae, so it's safer to look at it than go in. Not happy about that!!