Buying First Boat

akale15

• Baller

Looking for a some suggestions when buying a first boat. Looking for a mid 90's Nautique w/ PP and hoping to stay around $10-$12k range. I am not in any huge rush and probably will be holding out until at least the end of this season (unless I can find a good buy this summer.)

Hull condition and mechanical issues are my two biggest concerns. Interior issues I can live with and to a point can be tolerated and/or replaced over time. A lot of boats in my price range are 1000+ hours. Many are very well maintained and seem like a great buy. The thought of buying a boat with over 1000 hours doesn't at all worry me....but should it? You figure a lot of those hours are idle hours anyway and I would say the boat owner who uses a boat this much is maintaining/checking belts, hoses, ect on a regular basis....more so than an older boat with minimal use and low hours. So I guess, how many hours is too many hours? What other flags or items should I look out for?

• Baller_
If slalom is your thing, hold out for a 1997-2001 SN with GT40. Best slalom hull.. best engine. 1000 well maintained hours on one of these is nothing. And they can be had in the 11- 12k range. There's one now on SKi-it-Again for 10.5k in CA as an example.

• Baller

Mid 90's boat in 2016 @ 1,000 hours is approx 50 hours per year. considering the 2012's and newer for sale with 300-600 hours that is not a lot of use. A northern boat sees approx 1/2 a year of use, which means a 1/2 year of out in the sun. Most get stored indoors and are kept up.

Where are you located? I may have what your looking for!

• Baller_

While the mid 90s Nautiques are good boats, Nautique made a significant hull change in '97 that was a big step up from anything else available in that timeframe. They also introduced the GT40 engine that is rock solid.

Most mid 90's boats were still carbureted and had breaker point ignition. The introduction of EFI and electronic ignition in the late 90's effectively reduced boat maintenance by 90%.

So I would revise your search to '97 to early 2000s. Most had the GT40, but there were lower power options (carbureted) so be sure to check. I think you will still be able to stay within your price range. Check ski-it-again under comp boats.

While many people look for low hour boats, personally I would be much more concerned about a 20 year old boat with only a few hundred hours. That very likely means it went for several years between oil changes and other basics like transmission oil changes and impeller changes were neglected all together. A boat with 50-100 hours per year is much more likely to have had regular maintenance and a few thousand hours on a well maintained boat is nothing to worry about.

You should do a compression check on that age boat regardless of hours to confirm nothing major is lurking.

For disclosure I own a '97 Nautique and am biased:)

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield and that I have. @Wish also suggested the same thing...so I now have adjusted my search to looking for '97-'01 with the GT40. I am finding a good number available that fit this criteria so I feel confident I will find something when I am ready to purchase here in the next month or so.

• Baller
I own a 92 SN and its mint, regular maintenance every year, runs like new, wouldn't trade it for nothing, i put 80-100 hours a season on it, i am the 2nd and final owner :) No disrespect to the SN by rodtg2, boat looks beautiful, yet, its been for sale for a few years now...i remember it when i was looking for mine, and mine has PP. Just some insight, i hope you find what your looking for, Nautique is the only way id go, yes, i am biased, Good Luck...

• Baller
I bought on '01 SN 196 last September with the GT-40 engine in it. One of the best things I have ever done. Love the pull of that engine and the hull/wake are absolutely fantastic. @rodltg2 has a great looking boat. Great color scheme and really clean - find a way to make it work @akale15!

• Baller
@akale15 You could consider Uship to help get @rodltg2 's boat, or even just to make up those 20 hours. I had my boat shipped to WI from Buxton Marine in TX for $600 last spring with the "name your price function". For real, Rod's boat is what you're looking.

@akale15 thanks to ball of spray I bought a 2001 nautique from another member and had it shipped from California to Indiana. It's been nothing but fantastic. Flat wake, handles great. Slalom nuts tend to take care of their stuff.

• Baller
@OB1 I own both hulls and I'd argue the difference between a 90-96 slalom wake and a 97+ isn't a night and day thing, it's an incremental improvement but the 90-96 "no wake zone wake" as still a terrific slalom wake even by modern standards.

• Baller
@akale15 I was in a similar situation to you last summer looking for my first boat in about the same price range you are in. I ended up with a 1995 Prostar 190 for under 10k and less than 400 hours. I had to drive 30 hours round trip to pick it up (12 on the way there and 18 on the way back but that is a whole other story). With the Mastercrafts from that era you get a great engine with the LT-1 and the ski wake is great.