Best way to get in skiing shape ?

jetpilotg4

• Baller

Back in the day , I could just strap a ski on and go .... Now that I'm longer in the tooth , strentgh and stamina are at a premium ... What do some of you guys do in the weight room , and cross training to get you to your best skiing form the quickest ?

Thanks

• Baller

For me there are no magic tricks. This sounds like starting a diet a week before summer holidays and expecting unrealistic results.

I think that the only thing you can do the very last minute is to strap a ski on your feet and ski in ski shape, but take it easy by running lots of openers and easy passes.

• Baller

Train year round, and have a 9 month ski season. At 59 I play ice hockey 2x week,

ride my bike 5x week, lift weights 4-5x, do pull-ups during weekdays when not

skiing. Started season with 4 pass sets, 2-3 sets per weekend.

• Baller
CrossFit for sure- Been doing it 3 years and every spring I experience almost zero soreness after my first sets. The "functional" movements are really what skiing is in many ways. You have one connection at your hands and another at your feet and everything in between gets worked over.

• Baller_

For my lessons in FL a couple of weeks ago (after about 6 months off the water), I did this to get back into skiing shape (while not risking injury):

1. Free ski on open water as soon as it is liquid. Take at least two long runs with continual cutting/turning until you are tired.

2. After 4 days, repeat #1. Add a third run, if possible.

3. Take two sets of 6 passes on a course about 3 days after #2.

4. Take two more sets of 6-8 passes in a course about 3 days after #3.

After #4, continue increasing either passes or sets while simultaneously reducing time between ski days.

For me, #1 was March 13. Due to uncooperative weather, #3 was March 26. My lessons were April 4 and I was in reasonable skiing shape.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
At 55 I've been doing a cross training regime for about 35 years which gets modified a little every couple years to avoid boredom and take care of some aches that come with age. Basically... 3 to 4 days per week various combinations of - sit ups, push ups, pull ups, back arches, squats, lunges, calf raises, dumbbell lifts, stretch, walk, run cycle, swim, and officiate 40 to 50 basketball games through the winter season, And there's always the yard and house work. Check out @jhughes article on mental fitness too.

• Baller
Gym workouts with weight training and elliptical for cardio. When you think you are in shape, you find out every year (why do I forget this every year) that you aren't even close. When I start skiing I try to run slow passes on the course on jumpers for a couple weeks before getting the slalom out. Seems to help. For me, if I can finally get on the slalom for a couple weeks with no injuries life is good. The older you get, the harder that is to do!

• Baller

If I start not with weekend session but travel for skiing 7 or 10 days, for me having clincher gloves is must.

Because it is such an upset to sit on ponton on the day #3 with fingers done and see how others ski.

First week of the season grip is the only limiting factor for me...

To stay in shape - uphills on mountain bike help a lot. Cardio, strength & endurance in one glass ))

• Baller
I workout 12 months a year with a focus on staying in the best shape for skiing. Crossfit is my favorite but I also like rowing and outdoor cycling. If you are asking at the end of April is late and going to a gym and working out won't be worth it. Might be the best to just start skiing and plow through the pains.

• Baller
After many years of this, I've come to believe that 75% of the soreness in the traps and upper back is due to deep water starts, as opposed to just skiing. It's the almost hyper extension of the arms going forward that occurs during the "get up", or at least the way I get up. I was less sore this year, and I think due to seated cable rows and upright rows, working rather hard at each.