Have ski, will travel: Cheapest $/set?

andjules

• Baller

I'm finding that as I look at ski sites around the country/world, there's a pretty big range in cost-per-set at various ski schools/sites. It's not good or bad, just interesting; I thought other ballers might know of low-cost sites, and that a thread like this might be a good repository of that collective info.

Please share any sites you know of where a baller can show up (and/or make a reservation), lay down some modest $, and take a set in a slalom course, ideally on a private or semi-private site.

*disclaimer: this thread is driven by curiosity re: cost/set at pay-to-ski sites/clubs in different parts of the country/world. It is not a comment on the well-worth-it value of an expensive session with a top coach; it also purposely overlooks the common practice of reaching out to fellow ballers for an informal pull at a private site when travelling.

Low-cost locations I've found on the web:

Swerve Watersports | between Chattanooga & Nashville, Tennessee | $25/set ($35/coached set)

Lapoint Ski Park | Orlando, Fl | $30/set (not coached)

TE Wake 'n Ski | outside Bangkok, Thailand | 1100baht/set (approx US $31)

Ski Clube Quinta Grande | outside Lisbon, Portugal | €32/set (approx US $37)

Sesena Waterski & Wakeboard Complex | outside Madrid, Spain | €38/set (approx US $43)

A few more (some from other posts below):

Entre Dos Aguas | Outside Acapulco, Mexico | $25/set

Waterski Italy | Ravenna, Italy | €42/set (coach + driver, approx US $48)

McGinnis | Fort Lauderdale, Fl | $50/set

Passage | Poros Island, Greece | €40/set (approx US $45)

Pangaea Puddle | Canjoharie, NY | $30/set

While hard prices for a drop-in set aren't always easy to find online, as per a few posts below (thanks @gsm_peter) Europe seems to have several sites well under US $50/set, with some much, much lower than that. Greece, Spain, Poland, Sweden, Ukraine, Hungary, etc.

• Baller
The $30 for a walk-in set at LaPoint's still stands. I flew into Orlando last Tuesday and just drove to LaPoints because I wanted to ski on my brand-new ski and boots at least once before going to Rini's the next day for coaching. They were happy to pull me and they charged me $30 for the set. By the way, shortest set-up I've ever been in at LaPoints.

• Baller

@Garn you have been blessed in the sites that you ski if Lapoint's is the shortest setup you have ever skied. It is longer than one end of my home site and we have at least 2 tournament sites in New England that are shorter.

Pangaea Puddle in Canajoharie NY is $30 or $35 a set (I believe that is accurate I haven't been there in a year). You should probably check first but the owner is around a lot in the summer as he is a school teacher.

• Baller

Many clubs in Sweden are cheap.

From 12 usd per set.

From type 65 usd for one year membership with unlimited skiing with own gas.

So membership pays off at type 10 sets...

There are clubs in Poland that charge about 15 usd per set.

Will travel to Paris Gravon soon.

They charge 35 usd per set when buy 9 sets.

• Baller
@andjules Correct, not cheap, but nothing is cheap in Hawaii. Sadly there is no longer a course on the Wailua River. Still a great time if you have a couple people.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Bell Acqua in Sacramento charged me $40. Well worth it. World class, beautiful site. I think it was an extra $10 if you used their onsite driver, I did once, got lucky the second time and a member, and hell of a skier, pulled and coached me, no charge (no driver charge). Still paid the set fee.

I owe @Horton a six pack for my trip to Bako.

• Baller
I think there is a difference between getting a set in with someone when you are traveling somewhere and a business where you can be a regular skier for a fee. I will always try to take someone skiing who is in the area for vacation, work or a short period of time. Generally if you are just in the area I will pull you for free. I am not able to regularly take people to ski for a fee. Unfortunately I have limited time and given public water access to calm water to add people to my regular rotation. That may sound selfish but I have a family I need to spend time with in addition to satisfying my desire to ski.

• Baller_
Keep your eye on Orlando Waterspots Complex. Wade is ramping things up and the previous no coach rates were dirt cheap with options to rent a 200 (with driver) by the hour, half or whole day. Split among some friends that could be cheap.

• Baller
@aupatking - just a clarification for this year at Bell Acqua (Lake 1). The usual $30 guest fee (for the day, not per set) plus $15/set, so $45 total. CC 200 and ZO. We are supposed to have a driver/coach this year, but not sure what extra cost for driving/coaching on top of the $45. You're right though, if you wander up and it's not too crowded, a member (such as myself) will pull you for the $45 with no added driver/coach fee.

• Baller

@jetpilotg4 we are 60 minutes west of the western suburbs...you would probably be looking at close to 2 hours one way. If anyone at Trophy Lake Estates in Center City is available that would be convenient for you. @gjohnson ?

• Baller
I've pulled several Ballers in Houston, and I've had several Ballers take care of me while on business travel in other states and countries. I always try and bring beer and give gas money at a minimum. This is an amazing network of unselfish people who share the same passion and a familiar backyard; its powerful if we take care of those who take care of us. One of the coolest things about skiers is that most all enjoy meeting and supporting others that appreciate the sport; and there is a kindred understanding there, so long as it isn't abused

• Baller

@savaiusini ... I was the one who had the course on the Wailua River and I left it in place when I left there some years a go. Unfortunately, it seems no one wanted to maintain it, which is a real shame. It was a great place to ski. Even had Christy Brinkly come ski it with us when she lived there.

@Ed_Johnson - Great memories in the Wailua river 4 ball course. Having to float under the bridge almost to the ocean breakwater to get enough lead in to the gates.

Unfortunately- the river has gotten really busy with kayakers and tour boats recently- especially over the Christmas holidays. But still a great place to free ski with Ken.

Just missed skiing with Marcus Brown and his crew this winter.

• Baller
@BCskiier ... If there were no Tourists on Kauai, it would be the greatest place to live you could find. Back in 98 they extended the length of the Runway and allowed direct flights from the mainland. The tourist population doubled. It was one of the main reasons we left.

Earlier this spring I skied with @Sethski for $45 a set. It was a "non-coached" set... except Seth was the driver and threw out some great advice even though he insisted on not charging me for the coaching since he was driving. Plus he let my 10-year-old ride along who is now entirely pumped about skiing this year.

• Baller

Thanks @crashman. Would love to have you back. In general we aren't the cheapest per set but would

Love to have anyone who wants a quality ski ride or coached set. We charge $45 for a ride, $70 for a staff coached set, and $80 for me coaching a set. I wish we could do it for less, but that's what we have to charge.