Denali Mid review

Horton

• Administrators

I now have 11 rides on the Denali. I am still tweaking the fin settings to get the apex the way I want it on both sides. Amazing thing is the Denali guys help with set up as part of owning the ski. I have 10 or 12 rides to go so I do not want to say too much.

Few things I will say for now.

The ski is SO easy on the body. I can ski more passes on this ski than any other I have ever ridden. I am not sure this is the same as being fast. The ski is really fast but more noticeable it is just not a lot of work.

Angle. Holy Sheep Dip does this ski take and hold angle.

Adjusting depth on both sides of the fin is weird but genius.

• Baller_
It will be interesting to hear how many passes @Razorskier1 can pull off now that he's on the Denali at peak season considering he's mentioned here of some insane number of passes (32s and 35s) in a single set. Easy on the body is a good description. Fountain of youth would be another.

• Baller
I think Mapple and now Denali have really pushed the industry toward helping with setups. I've always gotten help when I ask for it but lately it seems like they are really going the extra mile.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan I've pulled him ten 35's straight when he was on his Mapple single set...following the 28 and 32 off warm ups, of course.

About to go hit the head/tail on the Denali making it skiing 4 of the last 5 days...that never happens. Funny thing to bring back on topic is I'm not sore. I'm tired for sure legs are getting fatigued but I'm not sore riding this ski.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan you've created a monster here I'm sure...fifty 35's in 24 hours will go down this season. My guess is 4 sets of 12-13 passes each in a single day rather than 2 sets sleep and repeat.

It's blowing 30 today and we ran head tail...the swamp has so much weed surface mat/surface tension that the water conditions were passable. Spray in the face at 28 off, 34 mph on a 196 headwind you know the wind is big.

The Denali is silly-good in the tailwind. Never any slack, absolutely giving haircuts to the buoys rarely have I ever been so early. Even in a gust if I had a loopy ball and thought I was a little late absolutely backside the next ball. No stall, no tip rise...and still not a single slam dunk 2 or 4 ball for me since jumping on this ski. A little knee bend while tall into the ball...just pick your spot and turn cuz you have...all...day...to...think...about it. So much north/south space.

I'm not sure how it keeps the line tight as it doesn't feel like it's hard on the decel...feels like it's running but I never get slack and the hook-ups are smooth. There's some very good voodoo going on here for sure.

I don't mean to overstate this stuff. I'm not on the payroll, I'm not on the test team...just riding my brother's former prototype ski and I'm really having a lot of fun. I'm in ski shape now, the weeds are clearing from the boat path, the water is warming up a little...can't wait to really push this ski down the line. Even if I don't get better absolute "great day" scores, I think I will be more consistently close to my best and do so with less abuse on my body. There's also a chance I can take this thing deep...my brudder once ran 39.5 with me driving ZO, surveyed course. I sure would like to do that as well.

• Baller_
I prefer a tail wind now. Who even thinks that? But since I've been on the Denali...tail winds are better. Sounds like your becoming accustome to all that space before that ball. That took me a while to get used to. Nice to hear that "fun" is being brought back into your ski vocabulary...or at least fun..er

• Supporting Member

A ski built by Tony Stark out of Vibranium and Dark Aether would not get me a 6 buoy personal best. In fact that might not be enough to tie my outlier of a tournament best.

But at this stage, incremental stuff is exciting.

• Baller
@OB1 for me just having a lot of fun skiing on what seems like a pretty cool ski so far...nothing more, nothing less. More time will be revealing...at least to me anyway. You can ignore my posts that "don't count"...but you can't resist my barbeque ribs.

• Supporting Member
@OB1 I gotta admit I'd be pretty curious to hear your thoughts on the production version. Then again, all signs point to the Rev6 working so well for you that I'm a little surprised you're trying anything else. New toys are fun, though!

• Baller

Waiting to hear more on this ski? Seems to have died down on the Horton review/comments.

My wife was interested in this ski, she even sent Denali an email to ask some questions, but has not heard back as of yet.

Has anyone had anyone one this ski that is skiing from 32/15 off to 34/22 off?

She needs a ski that gets cross course quickly and finishes the turn well and generates angle.

• Baller

Come on Fedex, don't let me down.

5/26/2016 - Thursday

2:00 pm Arrived at FedEx location KENNESAW, GA

6:30 am Departed FedEx location CHARLOTTE, NC

2:19 am Arrived at FedEx location CHARLOTTE, NC

5/25/2016 - Wednesday

8:37 pm Left FedEx origin facility HANAHAN, SC

7:13 pm Arrived at FedEx location HANAHAN, SC

• Baller

Weather and ski buds permitted me to ski 6 of 7 days in the drysuit. What this means is I peaked about day 3 and then predictably began wearing out. This means my body position fades and I start pulling harder AND longer to compensate (same story, different year).

If one pulls hard, one realizes the ski is very quick. If one pulls too long and too hard one comes into the buoys HOT. Ski turns regardless losing very little speed, tight line and off to the next hectic ball. So...ski it crappy like that and it can be very hectic but bail you out...wierd.

Ski it right with proper angle, good stack and some back arm and find yourself wide and with a lot of north/south space. It's a very interesting ski. I'm looking forward to warmer temps, better physical conditioning, out of the drysuit and go down the line some.

I don't get to try a lot of skis...but continue to feel there is big potential here. Time and line off will tell but I'm confident it's a winner. On the margins am I gonna pick up a line on any ski at this point on any new stick...my gosh probably not...wrong end of the law of diminishing returns and age but so far it's really fun. Hard to argue with fun. If I run near my personal limit more consistently, bonus. If I run shorter yet, double bonus.

• Baller
@Krlee my wife is right in that range. I set her up on a 2015 model (v3.1) about three weeks ago. She is generally not a fan of changing skis or setups, but she's doing awesome on the new ski. Week 1 she was right there at her average, by week 3 she up'd her practice PB by a buoy. She's been skiing more and may have progressed regardless, but the ski really does look pretty damn good.

• Administrators
@Krlee I hope to publish the final review in about a week. That Adams have been great helping with set up. Now I have to run a few more balls and find the words...

• Baller
@Booze, it's on your order receipt. But that sounds right. I don't understand about @bradb though. It may be they run their molds in a particular sequence. Waiting to hear from @Higleyskier as to his order number, as he got his Thursday apparently.

• Baller
@6balls experience on my v3.1 ski is very consistent with how I felt on it. I was running 38s in October in a drysuit last year and they weren't even dramatic. If anything I felt like I could screw them up because they were going so well, not because I was working so hard. That setup is more of the "short and deep" rather than long and shallow. Historically (on all skis) that has worked better for my particular ski style and body type. Just shifted my v3.4 to similar settings and, while I have only had open water skiing since, it feels great. Can't wait for a better wind condition so I can get some buoys!

• Baller
Well, @RB I guess the order number can be dismissed as an estimation tool for delivery. I'm sure they're working diligently to get them out as quickly as they can and still produce a quality product.

Just an fyi, heard mine will ship next week. Think it's sill a good tool for estimation.

Their reason for delay was understandable.

Looking forward to making some turns!