1999 Ski Nautique stalls and quits

rodltg2

• Baller
Boat has been stalling and quiting lately. First time thought it was out of gas. Put some in but would not restart. Tried about 30 minutes later and started and ran. Did it again on Sunday. This time I know gas was full . Let it sit for about 15 and restarted and ran fine rest of day. When it wasn't starting I swapped out relays and still no go. Fuel pump primes so that should be good. It has been 100 dog when it happens. Maybe vapor lock ? Lanyard has been bypassed. So not that either Going to swap out fuel filter next. Anyone know part number for auto parts store or is it a PCM part only ? Engine gt40.

• Baller

Could be high pressure pump, difficult to hear if that primes (primes simultaneous as the feed pump).

If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge it will save you a lot of time if you can establish wether you have fuel pressure or not when the engine won't fire up.

• Baller
One of my ski buddies with a '98 SN was having a similar problem and it ended up being the little power connector to the fuel pump. Is that the "relay" you mentioned? If so, I guess that is not your issue, but it was an inexpensive and easy fix for my friend.

I've had a bad tach. .I could tap on it and make it cut out.and stall is how I found it ,just a thought probably not it.I've also had a main wire harness go bad had a bare spot in it after hours of searching with a meter .after checking harness it was broke under the floor about at drivers seat how, u tell me.it gave me trouble then finally broke in half far fetch but if you run out of ideas

• Baller
Assuming it turns over but doesn't start, so I agree on the fuel pressure gauge to see if it comes up to 80 - 100 psi when the key is turned on. Since you mentioned hot and suspect vapor lock, if it happens again and there is no fuel pressure at the rail, try icing down the fuel lines and fuel control cell and see if it picks up pressure. If it has pressure, check spark with a spark tester (not just the gap on the spark plug), shoud be able to jump at least 1/2 inch.

• Baller

Had a similar situation. Boat would start and die during the 1st pass or 2nd. I was sure it was my wife not properly engaging the cruise control. After much diagnoses and trial an error, it was a clogged screen at the fuel pick up at the bottom of my fuel tank.

It would allow the low pressure pump at idle to fill up the fuel chamber (PCM Fuel control cell) at the high pressure pump which has enough for a 1/2 pass before fuel starvation. Easy to check, disconnect the incoming line to the fuel control turn on the key and see if you get good supply of gas from the line.

• Baller_
Check the red 14 gauge wire that comes from the battery to the back of the PME. if the steering cable has been replaced at any time or times that wire can become broken or intermittent fail where it comes up through the bilge from the battery box behind the drivers kick board. also check the fuse holder in the battery box on that same wire.

That's how I figure my big red power wire to dash from computer ,main harness got broke it cut the insulation then turned green then finally broke all the way boat died had to tow it home .probably took a couple years to finally die .