MasterCraft Revolutionizes Boat Docking with Towsports Industry-First Dockstar Handling System

Horton

• Supporting Member

I totally disagree. This is a rare worthwhile new feature. The fact that ski boats are so awkward in tight spaces is a real barrier to entry. Of particular note, a non-skiing spouse can be really discouraged by feeling like a dufus near the dock.

If you grow up with a ski boat from Day One, I guess you get used to it. I came from outboards that I'd driven from age 7 (shhh) to 21, and my first time driving a ski boat was basically "What the #%^& is wrong with this boat??" I suspect it might be even worse for someone with no prior boating experience.

• Supporting Member

I totally disagree. This is a rare worthwhile new feature. The fact that ski boats are so awkward in tight spaces is a real barrier to entry. Of particular note, a non-skiing spouse can be really discouraged by feeling like a dufus near the dock.

If you grow up with a ski boat from Day One, I guess you get used to it. I came from outboards that I'd driven from age 7 (shhh) to 21, and my first time driving a ski boat was basically "What the #%^& is wrong with this boat??" I suspect it might be even worse for someone with no prior boating experience.

• Supporting Member
With all of the ski boats being excellent these days, this feature might just push me to a Mastercraft except they don't make one that can fit through the Cochituate Mouse Hole Tunnel. 91" beam please!!? :)

• Supporting Member
With all of the ski boats being excellent these days, this feature might just push me to a Mastercraft except they don't make one that can fit through the Cochituate Mouse Hole Tunnel. 91" beam please!!? :)

• Baller
Question for the believers - how much are you willing to pay for this feature? Lets assume it is mechanical and all you are talking about is 2 new rudder assemblies and a gear plate (I'm assuming they are not actually going to use a rod type linkage), figure $600-$800 in parts cost so maybe a 3K option cost?

• Baller
Question for the believers - how much are you willing to pay for this feature? Lets assume it is mechanical and all you are talking about is 2 new rudder assemblies and a gear plate (I'm assuming they are not actually going to use a rod type linkage), figure $600-$800 in parts cost so maybe a 3K option cost?

• Baller_
@oldjeep : my answer= $0 when my objective is to lighten the transom as much as possible to get the best slalom wakes & I am fortunate enough to not have reverse/tight maneuvering space as a high priority item. Kudos though to MC for another innovation in the sport boat market.

• Baller_
@oldjeep : my answer= $0 when my objective is to lighten the transom as much as possible to get the best slalom wakes & I am fortunate enough to not have reverse/tight maneuvering space as a high priority item. Kudos though to MC for another innovation in the sport boat market.

• Baller

It won't be on the prostar, at the bottom of the page is this disclaimer:

*DockStar is available on NXT20, NXT22, X10, X20, X23 and XStar, only as part of the Sport Handling package.

• Baller

It won't be on the prostar, at the bottom of the page is this disclaimer:

*DockStar is available on NXT20, NXT22, X10, X20, X23 and XStar, only as part of the Sport Handling package.

• Baller

Interesting system. Kind of like a dual implementation of Centurion's CATS system back in the 90's. It was a single tracking fin tied to the steering and was on their ski boat. Current CATS seems to be different in that it is independent of the steering and I think not available on the current ski boat.

Seems if the MC system could be put on the ProStar without adversely affecting the wakes it would improve tracking. Also possibly a very unique drive where your actually could move the boat sideways to stay on center going down the course

• Baller

Interesting system. Kind of like a dual implementation of Centurion's CATS system back in the 90's. It was a single tracking fin tied to the steering and was on their ski boat. Current CATS seems to be different in that it is independent of the steering and I think not available on the current ski boat.

Seems if the MC system could be put on the ProStar without adversely affecting the wakes it would improve tracking. Also possibly a very unique drive where your actually could move the boat sideways to stay on center going down the course

• Baller
Smaller ski boats are not that bad to dock and maneuver, but large surf boats are a pain. My nephew grew up with ski boats and he now has a huge surf boat and it took him a while to figure it out. I will say that mercury has had a system out for some time for outboards but I believe it incorporates a bow thruster. Watching our close friends who have a large offshore center console makes me envious on how easy it is for them to dock it. @Than_Bogan is on to something with the spouse comment though. It was quite windy yesterday and my wife gave up trying to dock the boat and turned the duties over to me.

• Baller
Smaller ski boats are not that bad to dock and maneuver, but large surf boats are a pain. My nephew grew up with ski boats and he now has a huge surf boat and it took him a while to figure it out. I will say that mercury has had a system out for some time for outboards but I believe it incorporates a bow thruster. Watching our close friends who have a large offshore center console makes me envious on how easy it is for them to dock it. @Than_Bogan is on to something with the spouse comment though. It was quite windy yesterday and my wife gave up trying to dock the boat and turned the duties over to me.

• Baller

I am of the opinion that if you needs a bunch of aids to do something than you probably shouldn't be doing it. This to me is like when GM added quadrasteer to some trucks and when Ford made that trailer backup assist deal.

Sure there is a learning curve, but with some practice it is not that hard. When I am in a new situation I always analyze it so I know where I can and cannot park and how I can get out. Same with when I tow a trailer, I always make sure I can get out of whatever I go in.

Cool idea, but not for me. I'd rather learn how to drive my boat than strap on assists.

disclaimer - I have never driven a v-drive longer than 20 feet - maybe they are much harder.

• Baller

@BrennanKMN For the most part I agree. However having one of those monstrosities they call a wakeboard boat weighted down and the wind catching the sail they call a tower really can make for a PITA boating experience.

Between this and the F150 backup dohicky I think its going to ruin the experience for many to enjoy a beer at the launch ramp watching people struggle to launch their boats.

• Baller
I'm pretty sure that Rob Shirley proposed a triple rudder design to MasterCraft almost 20 years ago. Needless to say it was never produced. Shortly thereafter Rob started Infinity. The Infinity incorporated another outside the box design.....the inboard v-drive

• Members
Keep bringing out more technology that makes it easier for the unskilled to play, the funny stuff at ramps and docks will only get better. Heck my weekend schedule is getting closer to going to ski in perfect conditions on private water then grab a lawn chair and some beers and get to the public landing about 11 to watch the show. Now all I need is @MS, @thager and a megaphone