2016 Ski Nautique 5.3L Zero Off

Triplett

• Baller

Hey guys,

We have a 2016 SN with the 5.3L. I would like some opinions from drivers and skiers about how the boat feels.

To me, the boat feels like it is always running on me. I never really understood the feeling until I skied my Nautique and a 2016 MC in one day. The MC gives me way more swing and feels more efficient. As a driver, the nautiques engine note is flat, unlike the MC, which you can hear it react to the skier load behind the boat. The Centurion (Horton's old blue 6.0L) and the TXi all feel similar to the MC, along with engine note change while skiing.

Is this a similar feeling others are having with the 5.3L SN, or is it just my boat and I need to reflash the ZO? @Jody_Seal might be a huge help on this one.

• Baller
From your description of the feel and the flat RPM, it sounds like you have the very first version of the ZO software released with the 5.3 single puck package. I'd get the latest software loaded if I were you.

• Baller
I have heard this description before, I have also heard that the single puck with 5.7 is too soft. This last comment seems to come from heavier skiers. Now for me (160) I notice no real difference between a '16 200 and two different MC's I skied behind this season. Some other skiers, pulled by these same boats had the same experience as me.

• Baller

@MS I love the feel on the MC, hate the feel on the SN. I moved to C2 yesterday and it felt better. @Roger , I suspect this is the case. The boat was delivered in January. I will work on getting the latest and greatest from the dealer.

• Baller
just go to the ZO web site and download the latest version from their portal. Also read the detailed release notes and release history that is clearly documented. Don't forget to also review the compatibility matrix that explains which versions are supported by the different engine combinations and puck types, going back in time to the original versions. After that you can read the blog entries and instruction guide that explain the pull types and letter combinations and how they work. They also have a great manual for how to do upgrades to ensure you dont lock up you system and have to send the head back to get re-flashed. They also have a great resource for how to source the upgrade cables, jump cable and ancillary equipment you will need to keep your system upgraded and performing to the latest release.

• Baller_

@Triplett, I only got one pass (well, not quite) behind your 200 on Saturday and did not drive in that round. It might have felt a little strong to me, but I had many other issues anyway. I did select C1 instead of C2, because I had been concerned it might be "on me" more. I would need more skiing time with it and some driving time to comment more intelligently.

@Horton old Centurion pulled many great scores and PBs in the 3rd round with the old two puck system. It drove well, too.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
I used B2 on the old 2 puck 5.7 and 6.0 Ski Nautiques. I use B2 on everything except the new 5.3/6.2 SN where I use B1. I just feel the new engine single puck combination is slightly firmer than the old setup. I'm still using B2 on the Centurion with single puck, but they have not switched to the 5.3 or 6.2 yet (the one I ski behind is a 6.0), so I don't know if that will be a factor or not. In the last tournament at Okeeheelee that I skied, I ran 3.5@35 behind all three hulls (5.7 MC with 2 pucks, 6.0 Centurion with 1 puck, 5.3 Ski Nautique with 1 puck). If you include the Malibu, all 4 boats are pretty great these days and we have to get really picky to find issues...

• Baller
@Triplett, for what it's worth, E1886400R is shown on AWSA's website as the approved ZO version for Nautique (revised 3-15-16). I don't know if there is a later one that may be in process of being approved by AWSA, but some of the promo Nautique guys on this forum probably know.

• Baller

@Triplett, E1886400R appears to be the correct software for single puck Nautique. The approved versions are posted USAWS/AWSA/ Towboats & Speed Control/216 Approved ZO software.

• Administrators
@Triplett my old 6L! So kick ass. Come to Cali. My current Centurion is 5.7 but skis the same as the blue 6.0. The 6.0 is more fun to drive but in the Centurion they ski about the same.

• Baller

Thanks @Horton. Our hoist has been broken so I haven't been able to see the prop number.

I have thought more about @B_S's comment with DI being more responsive. This would mean C is actually on you earlier than on the Port injection boats. So moving to B or even A might not be a bad idea.

Drove a 5.3 2 summers ago. I was shocked by how quickly it accelerated. It only hit 42mph at like 5500 RPM though. Honestly kept thinking a prop with a higher pitch might be good on it. I was only needing to use a quarter throttle to pull up a fully grown man. We just didn't need that crazy kind of acceleration and a little more top end would be fun for barefooting or tooling around a public lake.

• Baller
@shansen345 don’t forget to to pull the Hydro Gate back for more top speed and a better barefoot wake. Wow, I’m 185 and 38 mph is more then fast enough for bare footing. That’s the first thing a barefoot school will teach you is slow the boat down!