Another on bites the dust......almost (it's only a matter of time)

• Baller

One of the only good non-private ski lakes near Charlotte, NC (Lake Davidson) is pretty much closed off to the public for the foreseeable future and long-term it's becoming a lost cause. Myself and probably 15 others use this as our primary lake throughout the season.

For years we've been at the mercy of a property developer who graciously turned a blindeye to people launching from their property, but they've finally roped off the access road due to liability concerns. We are negotiating with the developer to regain some access, but it's unclear at this point if will get it or not. And even if we get access, I am not comfortable with the long term prospects. Pretty much our only hope at this point is petitioning the local government for a public launch on the Mooresville side, but that's already been shot down in the past.

So it feels like only a matter of time even if we regain access. For now, I'm leaving the house at 5am to try to ski from sunrise to 8:30am when there are just too many boats to even bother. Even before then there are periodic boats passing through and we're lucky to get in 2 sets with only two people in the boat.

I consider myself dedicated and obsessive, but to be honest, trying to work through all these problems to ski in crappy conditions just isn't any fun. I kind of had it good before, but I can see why people would leave the sport. I'm not necessarily very important, nor are the 15 others, but how many times does this happen every year? Death by a thousand cuts?

Anyway, I just felt like bitching.

• Baller

I feel sorry for you.

Hope that you can solve the problems.

It seems like we are lucky in Sweden with so many lakes and ski clubs.

There are type 10 clubs within 2h drive from Stockholm.

And they are not expensive either.

• Baller

I feel your pain. We used to ski, with a course, on a clear lake in the boondocks in orange groves. Never caused any trouble. Did this for nearly 20 years. Developer came and ruined it. Today it's the almighty Isles of Lake Hancock, popular amongst slalom skiers who are important with deep pockets, not the average joe like me who's willing to pay but can't compete with that kind of coin.

Wish we had a national organization that would fight for our rights to ski and on a course.

• Baller
I talked to some officials here a few years ago and they said no way. In the 80's there was probably a half dozen course plus a jump on lake austin. Now they're too worried about disturbing some fisherman.