Reflex,,,which boot and why

Deltaslayer

Looking at reflex bindings, just sprained ankle on vapor boots, tore Achilles with the Goode powers hells , now I'm interested in the reflex system. I like the idea of the flexion brake on the white cuff but not sure about performance. Black boot was recommended to me but it has no flexion brake, then there is the supershell which I heard is too stiff so I think I narrowed it down to the black or white cuff. Just looking for insight on personal experiences. Thanks in advance.

• Baller
I skied on the black top then supershell. It took me a week or so to get used them. Ski wanted to bit a little more in the turns. Once I was used to them I loved them. My ski partner is also on a supershell also due to ankle injuries on Animals. He gets through 32off and likes his.

i use a white cuff on my slalom ski and a black cuff on my trick ski, i feel safer using the white cuff when i'm slaloming and the black cuff i feel like i have more feel for my trick ski but at the end of the day its all about personal opinion :)

• Baller

The Vapor/Strada boots are fantastic boots. I've run them on-and-off on several different skis. Nothing wrong with them.

My all time, and only boots I would call "my setup" are a slightly modified black cuff with R-Style. Well, other than the loop on the back still being there, pretty modified. I like the flexion brake, and the black boots. I altered my boot ..........

Long story short, ankle sprains are going to happen, any boot system. The severity can be, somewhat, mitigated maybe. I have sprained my ankle twice in the type of crashes that would have broken my ankle in the boots that broke it the first time. With these mild/moderate sprains, I still say the boot system protected me from real injury.

• Baller

@londonskier - A couple weeks ago I transitioned from some slightly modified Powershells to a Supershell. My PS boots had carriage bolts through the cuff to make the joint stiffer. The Supershell is much stiffer laterally, but my powershells were stiffer at the ankle joint (using same liner), MUCH stiffer.

From what I have gathered the black boots (likely PS boots as well) deform a little which increases the friction at the ankle cuff. The Supershell doesn't seem to do this due to the stiffness of the lower boot, resulting in less friction at the ankle cuff.

@rico that is a clip off the new HO teaser. It's Willy's Frankenstein Reflex/PowerShell setup. There are some theories behind it. I tried the same thing with an old PowerShell I had sitting around and modified it to work with the reflex system. I still like the feel of my Reflex boot.