Help with Ski and Bindings

kderbyusa

I am a 59 year old self taught Slalom skier now working on the course.... Again self taught....I have a 67 in. 2005 Monza with HO Approach front binding and HO RTP rear. I am getting through the course now at 15 off and 30mph. Not looking to tournament ski, just improve. Looking for the right ski and binding for me... There is no shop near that has equipment to demo or setup. I need a forgiving ski " I'm sure my form is poor" .... Looking for a couple year old "Ski" Willing to spend the money on new boots.

I am 5,11 175 lbs

Would like some recommendations plz

This sounds exactly like me. The approach binding was cramping my foot. Bought a Wiley's, same thing.... I'll be watching this for suggestions.

I went from an ho a2 to a cx as i am a newbie to the course myself, really helped at the slower speeds. Been on a friend's d3 nomad lately, and it seems to be a little better. At least for my type of poor form! Keep an eye on ski it again, you'll find a nice one there. Radar senate, ho cx and other crossover skis will be good ones to watch for.

I envy the guys that get to demo equipment regularly. The little bit of stuff I've got to try this year has helped me tons! Mostly ski partners older equipment. I'd buy all new in a minute if I just knew what would work best for me!

I've been on it a month. Probably 15-20 sets? My foot is just wider than average I guess. I'm not gonna give up on it yet though. Makes the third binding I've been on this year. Toes start hurting after forth pass and completely numb after fifth pass.

• Baller
@paco I took my trick wrap apart and used a razor blade to cut a little bit of the plastic horseshoe on the lower inside of the plastic. It allows the rubber top part over your foot to come up a bit more to give you just that extra bit of space without compromising ankle support. Its a pretty easy process and I think it made my foot hurt 50% less but it still hurt. It may extend you to 6 passes tho. I would recommend it.

• Supporting Member

That's the wrong size then. Many bindings can be slightly reshaped by moving the screws underneath. For a very wide foot you might need to buy a size up and then move the screws wider.

Also, the overlays can be adjusted, but you have to remove the pieces that hold it down to the plate in order to do so. I recommend learning how to do this anyhow, because as a binding ages you may need to tighten up the overlays occasionally.

• Baller

HO is coming out with a new softshell boot (2017) with removable liner that looks pretty good. I could never go back to rubber personally after years in softshell boots. I swore off Wiley after a week at ski school. 10mins in the water was OK, but 1/2 an hour was foot numbing. Mine were adjusted many different ways and I was right at the short end of the size spectrum.

A good compromise between rubber, hardshell and a high end softshell is the Radar Vector boot. Probably the most popular intermediate boot in the last 10 years. the HO Xmax is the HO equivalent. A step up from there is the profile and then the Vapor.

HO CX or radar Senate ski 67"

• Baller

HO A1 would be a nice migration from the Monza and you should be able to find one real cheap. I went from that vintage Monza to an A1 with good success. An S2 might be even better. Radar Senate would work also. For a boot that is super comfortable I would suggest trying a Radar Vapor. If you take the stiffeners out of it you should be able to make a very easy migration from the Approach to the Vapor and it is very comfortable. I went from a Wileys to a Strada boot with no problems at all.

There are a lot of good skis out there that would work. HO S2, CX or TX, Radar Vapor or Senate would both work. It kind of depends on what you want to spend.

• Baller

I'm at your level and was skiing on a high-end ski last season (Connelly Prophecy), and determined it was too much for me. I wanted a more forgiving ski that would allow me to work on the basics of form and would help me not fall as much. I moved to the Radar Senate Alloy. It feels about five times more stable than the Prophecy. Unless you plan on getting past -28 in the next year I recommend sticking with the intermediate-level skis like the Senate, HO CX or Connelly V. Each of these has a base-level version and a higher end version. The base version is fine for your current level, but the higher versions would be something to grow into without being too much more unforgiving.

I am using the Connelly soft bindings that are like the Radar Vector boots previously mentioned. Radar Vectors or HO xMax and the like are great bindings for our level -- very comfortable and enough support for our level of skiing.

• Baller

The Senate models from 2014-16 are the same except for graphics. These years are based on the Vapor shape. The prior years were based on the Strada shape. I've only tried the '15 but as far as I can tell from other people's comments both shapes have been well liked. The carbon version in the older shape was called the Senate-C while the carbon version of the newer shape is called the Senate Graphite.

I'm sure if you skied the Alloy and the Graphite versions back to back you would notice a difference, but I can't speak from experience on that. I know that the recommendations I've read have been to go for the Graphite (of Lithium) if you expect to be in the course a lot. I couldn't find a Graphite version in my price range when I was ready to buy, so I just went for the Alloy. I'm happy with it but would like to try a Graphite version to find out for myself how different it is. I'm certainly not in need of a higher performance ski yet since I am still working on getting consistent in the course at 32 mph -15. I figure if I ever get consistent at 34mph and -22 and sometimes into -28, then I'll get serious about looking at a Graphite or Lithium Senate.

I'm in this same category pretty much - same age and background. I had a KD7000 that I loved for open water and find it harder to run the course with. Bought a new (2014) HO CX and finding that I don't trust it as much for leaning on it like I used to for my older ski. Wondering about switching and what might be a better gripping ski?

• Baller
@kderbyusa I can tell you one thing for sure - that Approach binding with RTP combination is not a good one, particularly if you still have that velcro closure over the instep. I had skied that exact ski and binding configuration for about 3 sets before I broke my foot in an OTF. My foot came only part way out before the velcro suddenly stopped it. After getting my cast off, I continued to use the Approach only after getting the matching rear boot to try to keep both feet in.

@dchristman , this is the set up I had beginning of this season. After reading here and other places of how the approach doesn't release well, I took extra care in leaving it loose. Barely snug the laces and the Velcro just barely touched. I actually wiped out first pass on it. Released and it still left some bruising. After a few sets, it seems to have broken in to the point of releasing at a safe level. I would highly recommend being careful with a new approach. Especially with rtp.

Sorry to hear of your injury!!!

Another binding question.... I've found a deal in a 2015 radar vector boot and rtp bundle. Two months later, my Wiley's is still causing numbness and pain. To my understanding, the vector will be much more comfortable. What's everyone's thoughts? Will they ski as well as the Wiley's? Comfortable?

• Baller
I did the same move years ago and never looked back, but I did not take to the vector like some others. I may have been between the size range of 7-11 (which is fairly broad) and it didn't have the support I was looking for so I went to the then RS1 binding double boot setup and have never looked back. I also found the release more consistent (less 1/2 in/out) with a properly sized RS1 vs the vector. my 2

• Baller

@paco

I have skied the Vectors a lot.

Now I am on the Profiles.

Vectors

-Expand a lot. Can have wet suite socks in them in cold weather.

-Less side ways support.

-Light

-No L R.

Profiles

-Substantial better side ways support.

-Closed toe=Warm.

-Wider foot bed compared to Vapors.

- Slightly heavier.

- R and L boots. Plats decide front back.

My limited experience with Animals was as you say Narrow, Low toe, cramping.

Sold mine after 10 sets.

Not for me...

• Baller
I have a HO Animal RFF and I find it very comfortable and I took it one size longer than my regular size. I can tight it or leave it a bit loose. I ski at 32mph to 34mph open water and no problem with release when need it. I don't want to hurt myself bcause recovery at my age takes longer time (60)

• Baller

It very much depend on anatomy of foot - I tried Willey and it was a pain from first minute, changed to Animal and can ski unlimited time, despite to fact that it holds my foot to ski stronger than Willey. In addition Animal has foot specific footbed that gives better edge feeling.

I always tempted to switch to modern stuff, but release of rubber boot is unbeatable by definition. I do not need to pay lot of attention to how tight laces are.

Once in open toe O'Brien boot I torn hamstring in OTF and was out for 5 weeks not to mention pain and one week on crutches. It was my fault to overtighten laces in a rush, but ....

Anyway I feel that time to try something with real lateral stiffnes is comming... or not?.... :)

• Baller

Different things work for different skiers. I went from rubber to Reflex and am now on a Radar Vapor [2016 Boa]. Plenty of support and comfort is like skiing in slippers. Depending on size there are still some older models about at good prices.