Announcing "The Edge One" binding system

Horton

• Baller_

Not any worse then Goode. Possibly better. Cut down lower portion of boot provides full and unbound movement of upper cuff forward and backwards. Adjustable stop straps to protect ankle from going beyond normal ROM. Rear strap assists in quicker and more complete release of dual lock. Elevated heels (rear even higher) to promote weight on balls of feet. Upper cuff, even with incredably unbound ROM forward are laterally stiff for edge control. Flexible, durable and light plate.

$5 boots (garage sale)

$25 black cutting board

$2 web strapping

$4 SS hardware.

$ Priceless. My time in the build and the fun that went with it.

Weight and hight were confirmed by the Goat himself that neither matters.

Would I suggest anyone attempt this? HELL NO!! . Can it be done? Ya, kinda think so. Any major or injuries? Nope. How long on system? Cumulative 5 yrs. Releases? A several..but I toss the handle...a lot. Line lengths? Into 39 often enough for me.

Note, I am not a fan of dual lock reliability and consistency. But others that ski way way better then me believe in it. No safe system. Since a single dual lock boot is not an option and I'm moving to that and an RTP, I am on a Reflex.

But, I may have met @Hortons criteria for a bottle of Scotch sent my way. Anyone agree? ;-) Lets not forget it makes @Horton buy and ship the Scotch.

jz4scm2r8l65.png

95a3pkqz703x.png

icqd6r5zd0py.png

• Administrators

@wish if your time is only worth about $2 an hour you may have a argument for the Scotch. I would still highly discourage other skiers from going down the path you've gone down. I think you're actually very lucky that you never got hurt back in the day when you were screwing your cutting board to the ski.

I guess you could grow all your own vegetables and make all your own bread too.

• Baller_
I kill fake plants if that's any indication and agree that home brew boots should not be attempted. Before most, including myself, understood duel lock way back, I was not releasing much, went to Big Dawgs back in the day and watched guys take insane crashes with duel lock and not release and never seemed to get hurt. So that along with wanting to test skis (inserts and screws needed) I started screwing plates to skis. But, back then the cuffs of my hard shells were just like most of today's. Forward ROM gets reduced dramatically as skiers shin travels past 90 degrees do to the upper and lower portions binding into each other. The result is stiffer and stiffer as the forward travel continues. This makes the shin vs the ball of your foot (from which your brain receives balance information) the driving force behind COM movement and regulating it. Not so good. But, if cuffs are stiff enough, and mine were, it can also act like a stop. In falls back then, I rarely if ever had ankle tweaks. Both feet locked in a sort of cast scenario kept me from injury. Now through the Adams, Denali and GUT, I've come to realize the draw back in ankle cast style boots. Easy enough fix but now the ankles have easy and free ROM so release has become imperative. Thinkn my hourly rate was $1.25 but was still fun. It's to bad I'm not a fan of Scotch or I'd really argue my case. :-)

• Administrators

Ok fine. If time was not an issue and I had access to a machine shop and knowing what I know today I could build my own system. 99% of the skiing public done not have the time, knowledge or interest.

So back on topic.... I am super looking forward to skiing in the Edge system. The softer cuff and better connected sole really has my attention. I also like the idea that a guy like JT has done all the work to get the details right.

• Baller

Seems like rather than cobbling together rollerblade boots and old style ski bindings that you could some up with a combination of a modified snow ski boot (or snowboard hardboot) and bindings. so you had something that had been designed to actually hook together.

Something like an Apex boot might make sense for waterski modification

http://apexskiboots.com/

• Baller_
Just a comment (to JT really), when the system gets upgraded with a rubberized hoop, make sure to repeat the release tests to ensure the difference in coefficient of friction does not alter the characteristics. Unintended consequences / the unknown tend to catch us all off guard.

• Baller

@oldjeep I agree to an extent but the market just isn't there for big r&d and the system were talking about is essentially a modified alpine touring system.

I've alpine skied and raced for over 30 years and the idea behind most expert skiers i's skewed more towards a late or non-release than a prerelease. Ripping 60mph turns down a mountain is probably infinitely more dangerous than running a slalom course though.

• Baller_
@MAD11 not even the slightest. Water never touches them. If it did, the boots would be dragging significantly first. Water just never raps around a ski like that. Trust me, Andy would have said something when he mounted a similar one of mine on his ski. But, back on topic, I would certainly welcome the chance to test ride The Edge. Having been on a Reflex for a few months now and getting used to it, I'd like to see/feel the difference.