Looking for Orlando area rental on ski lake

303Skier

Hey Ballers - My wife, son and I are planning to move down to Florida for 6 months or more and we're looking for a rental house/property on a ski lake with slalom course. Does anyone know of anything for rent like this?

Also does anyone know which lakes in Orlando area have ski courses that are sited in, not floating?

Ones I know of:

Lake Pickett - Orlando

Lake Louise - Orlando

Saw Mill Lake - Clearmont

• Baller

I just bought a rental in Clermont but it is for short term rentals so probably out of your budget as I rent by the week near Disney. Not on a lake, but 30 minutes from 6 different ski schools. I decided to go that route instead of dragging the boat down every winter. $35 / set at LaPoints or Active ski, doesn't make bringing the boat worth while. I would do a search for a place 30 minutes from the different ski schools in the area

Travers, Jodi Fischer, Lapoint Ski part, Active ski, Swiss, Lucky Lowes, etc.

• Baller
I live on John's Lake west of Orlando between Winter Garden and Clermont. 2,500 acre public lake with 4 permanent courses. Can be very busy on weekends but usually good skiing mornings and evenings. Don't know of any current rentals on the lake but they do pop up occasionally.

• Baller

Where's lake Louise and Saw Mill Lake?

Sighted-in courses that I'm aware of, not already mentioned:

Lake Ola (2)

Lake Olympia

Clermont Chain (2)

Conway Chain (2)

Trout Lake/alligator chain (2) surprisingly low traffic

Lake Hiawassee

Lake Rose

Lake Olivia (ski with Ben Favret)

Evidently Hickory Nut Lake now

Sand Lake

Where's @Wish and his secret gem?

I have a friend who has a house 1 block away from John's Lake ramp that he rents out, not water front.

There's a feller on Lake Olympia renting his dock for $200 a month. I'm so tempted to take him up on it so I'd have a reliable course but I wouldn't have a driver there, love fishing and skiing that lake.

@ESPNSkier if you ever find yourself looking for a ski partner who's a terrible short line driver let me know, John's lake is my best public lake option.

@Orlando76 Saw Mill lake is in Clearmont, FL (Will Asher lives there). Lake Louise is the small lake just south of Lake Pickett (Which has two sited courses).

Good feedback so far, thanks a ton! Still looking and probably be ready to move in October 1st.

Which parts of Orlando should we stay away from?

• Baller
@Orlando76 PM me next time you are out this way. We have some great short line skiers out here (Whitney lives on our lake)....I'm just not one of them as I am struggling to run 28 off consistently. I maintain the north/south course on the east shore across from Magnolia Island. This is the only course out of the four here that has not been surveyed recently.

• Baller

Add Lake Hancock, Sawyer lake, Ivanhoe. Butler chain has 3 courses.

I can't say any part to stay away from, I'm partial to the west side of town having lived in clermont and now in winter garden, both are great. Good instruction is all over, but many good choices on the west side....swiss, jack travers, monte carlo training center (Teddy Winter over winter,) all in the clemont area. Joddi fisher, Aidan Willers, Degasperi, Drew Ross in winter garden. Im sure I left off some.

• Baller

Any area in central Orlando is no good IMO. I think most will agree Lake Pickett area isn't pleasant. That area is called Bithlo..... And as we all know thanks to Bithlo its called a toothbrush rather a Teethbrush. Clermont area is getting way too crowded and there's only 1 road in and out and everybody in clermont works in Orlando. I myself am very partial to Mount Dora and Lake Ola.

Is lake Ivanhoe a real course or floating? I swear it shifts but could be I4 keeps shifting everyday.

To be on water in FL I hope you have some deep pockets, more so than other areas. Not sure on what's available and association dues but you can't beat Swiss Fairways, if my wife skied we'd pack up and move there tomorrow.

• Baller
I had not idea that there were so many options for courses in the Orlando area. I will be at my new place Jan - March next year, and I will always be looking to hook up with other skiers. My plan had been to use the local schools as I don't have a driver and decided not to bring my boat down for the winter.

• Baller_
@303Skier I am shopping for lakefront real estate in Otown. My criteria is that it has to be within about a half hour of LaPoints. Although I'd like to live on a lake for the benifit of my family, I have no intention of giving up a great ski opportunity. Whitney McClintock would have to ask me to be her daily ski partner for me to rethink that one! To each his own. #iskiconnelly

Lpskier

Looks like my family and I will be moving to a house on Lake Price October 1st. We are excited and thrilled to start exploring Orlando and the surrounding areas. If anyone lives on Lake Price, we look forward to meeting you and having another competition skier on the lake. I want to thank everyone that helped in this process and want to personally thank @Wish for all his help. If anyone is a Florida USA Waterskier I'm going to try and catch the last few tournaments in the Orlando area. Hopefully I get to meet some new people.