Boat buying decision....(driving me nuts).

Laz

• Baller

Hi Ballers, apologies for the long post.

After 9 years of great service, I think my family has outgrown out our current boat. It's not an entirely rational decision, but I have it my head to get a new boat. We have three generations of skiers. Some ski long line at 26-28 mph, others are working on 35 off 34 mph. An important factor is tracking if I hope to get my wife to drive for me. We will trailer the boat and ski on public water with a drop in course.

Please help me decide:

2015 Nautique 200: a bit more expensive, but very used to it from our local club and tournaments.

1) is it worth the extra money?

2) If I get a closed bow, will it not work as well as a family boat?

3) is this the gold standard?

2015 Mastercraft Prostar: (current first choice)

1) Only skied behind it twice. Seemed great at 22' off. Should be good at long line and slower speeds.

2) Is it very loud? Didn't notice.

3) Are the trick wakes inadequate? My son is starting to trick.

4) Is the wake too wide? Is the boat too strong? (things I've heard but can't confirm).

5) How well does it track?

2016 or 2017 Malibu TXi

1) Any reason not to get this one? Seems good all around.

Centurion Carbon Pro

1) Skied behind it once. Seems nice. Only closed bow. How well does it track?

2) Trick wakes?

Anything else I should consider?

Much appreciated.

The TXi is pretty great if you need a boat that can occasionally be put into service as an open bow party barge but the interior isn't as modern as the others, if that's a concern. It's still very nice. Aside from the wetted surface (and, therefore, wake), the rest of the boat hasn't really changed since 2007. I spent three days behind a Carbon Pro last year and was pulled at 26 to learn the course. The wake was a tidal wave at -15, as it probably is in most boats. My tug is an '08 LXi and it doesn't feel as massive as the CP did at that pace. SN200 and Prostar were my first choice but everything I've read indicated that they have lower freeboard and aren't as good for recreational use as the Malibus. If you have flat water and money isn't a concern...used SN200 OB or Prostar. All of your options are great, though.

• Baller

Hmm. Sounds like open bow option would be helpful. With that...

Each of those hulls been around a bit...why buy new? Save a pile and find a used Txi, 200 open bow or Prostar and you will be fine (would get the big motor in the Prostar and from an ideal standpoint in the 200).

• Baller

@Wish Yes, hopefully no loyalty wars, but the responses so far are good.

@Porkfight, @6balls Money is a concern, and I don't think I'll buy new.

I'm looking at a 2015 Prostar with 110 hours. I think this tops the list. The second choice is a 2014 200 with 390 hours, well maintained but closed bow.

@dtm8119 I'm not sure an open bow is that important to me but my wife disagrees.

• Baller
All good choices. Can't go wrong with the 200 for tracking. However, I own a 2015 Prostar and I think it drives great. Very good utility on the interior space and strong driver ergonomics. TXI is a solid slalom tug but for and finish aren't going to stay nice for as long as the other two.

• Baller
If your going to be on public water, an open bow could be a bit of a concern if the lake has sizeable waves when it blows up. That open bow will catch a lot of water should it take a wave over the top.

• Baller

Sit back take a deep breath and then ask yourself why ? The 200 is more expensive.

It tracks well, it pulls well , it has great wakes for all speeds + tricking, it is comfortable to drive all day, nowadays you get what you pay for, the other boats will do the job, your call

• Baller

Closed bow - not the most useful family boat if you intend to have more than 2 people and their stuff in the boat when towing, which pretty much eliminates the Nautique and the Centurion

Malibu tends to have a wedge on it which makes it a more useful all around boat if your kids want to wakeboard at some point.

• Baller

@Gloersen I couldn't agree more. At this point she is just tolerating my planned purchase.

@jetpilotg4 What do you hate about driving it?

@fox197 Yes, it has the removable bow cover

@Orlando76 We have a 2007 Moomba Outback. There is actually nothing wrong with the boat. However, as my son and I start to ski shorter line lengths and get a bit more competitive (me), a lot more competitive (son, he's at the nationals today), the differences become more obvious. Besides, no zero-off and the much harsher wake, drive ability is key as I will not have experienced drivers most of the time.

@MISkier My PB is actually behind a TXi.

• Baller
Buy a promo boat. Now is the time to get a motivated promo owner to hook you up. Support the promo program and you will get basically a new boat perfectly maintained but having all the bugs worked out and anything that wasnt perfect has been fixed by the dealer already.

• Baller
Mastercraft Prostar. Too loud...No. Tracking and comfortable driving...Good. Boat too strong? Wha...never. Ski and drive friends 2016 6.2L and it's pretty nice to drive and ski. Tracking is excellent. Short setup....never a problem. 22' off...typical bump not bad.

I'm amazed at how different all the boats can be.

I have had experience with '15, '16 Txi . Great wake , but to drive straight you need a spotter.

The 200 wake is soo good from 23mph to 36 that it's hard to believe it could work .Also zero spray! Also the boat drives so well with only a driver , or a full boat. It's clearly a better tracking boat.

Than slow a bit more with the wake shaper gear shift, and it's incredible again for trick sports.

The 200 hull again is hands down more roomy than a 196, or Txi.

@6balls is right. Pair 200 with the 6.0 and driving is so smooth and easy for spouse(or for everyone).

• Baller
+on a 200ob. A little more work keeping the nose out of the lake than a TXi, but the most overall user-friendly and comfortable boat of the choices I think. I've been disagreed with on this, but my wife's and sister's boobs don't lie...the public water ride of the MC is hard on a lady's chest. When just joking about buying a new boat, my wife said I better hire a driver too, if I bought a Prostar.

• Baller

My two cents. The 200 and the PS are bigger and have more room in them than the TXI. I have a bunch of seat time in the TXI and it drives great. Not quite as good as the 200 or PS but there are certainly no issues with keeping the TXI straight in the course. I don't know what you are driving now but my guess is unless it is a 200 or PS the TXI will track better. All three of those boats track better (from my driving them in tournaments) than my 2002 Response LX and the two 196s (not sure what year but both have factory ZO) that I drive on our lake.

Regarding the 196 they are nice boats but I don't believe that the wakes are nearly as good as the 200 or PS at slow speeds. For the person working on 35 off it doesn't matter.

For trick skiing the TXI is the best of the three but I have tricked fine behind the 200 although I am not flipping. I haven't tricked behind the PS but driven it for tricks and it looks smaller than the TXI.

I would love to be looking at any of the three.

• Baller
If you're buying pre-owned agree with the promo comments. Should be deals to be had on your choice of brand with full warranty. If you're considering new, wait for the '17s. One of the big 3 is supposed to have an all new hull to go with an all new boat.

• Baller

In regards to tracking...

I've spent a lot of time driving a '12 TXi and '15 Prostar. The tracking comes down to how each boat is set up. My TXi tracks much better than my buddy's Prostar. BUT my TXi was setup for the Malibu Open and my buddy's Prostar hasn't been touched.

The reality is that either boat will track well after they are set up right so don't let that steer you in one direction or the other.

My advice would simply be to drive and ski all three and go with what you feel the most comfortable with.

Mike

• Baller

I'll jump in the fray:

2015 Nautique 200: a bit more expensive, but very used to it from our local club and tournaments.

1) is it worth the extra money?

Yes

2) If I get a closed bow, will it not work as well as a family boat?

Closed bow works fine for family boat. Lots of storage up front. I think open bows are overrated for this size boat. Too small to be safe when at speed, catch waves too easy and most importantly ski like crap if someone up there.

3) is this the gold standard?

Yes, for ease of driving and tracking. Check the "What's wrong with CP" thread, even the CP guys say it tracks better. For wakes they are all very, very good. Complaining about any of these for slalom is whining.

2015 Mastercraft Prostar: (current first choice)

1) Only skied behind it twice. Seemed great at 22' off. Should be good at long line and slower speeds.

It's good but my wife prefers Nautique, 26-30 MPH, she won't turn down a ride behind either though

2) Is it very loud? Didn't notice.

It's louder than the Nautique and CP. The MC guy on our lake, injured so not skiing, said "My boats loud" when it went by. Not bad, but louder.

3) Are the trick wakes inadequate? My son is starting to trick.

The MC guys on my lake are elite trickers and they do fine, as do lot of beginning/intermediate trickers that come to train with them. Whole lot of little gas cans filled with lead shot in there though.

4) Is the wake too wide? Is the boat too strong? (things I've heard but can't confirm).

Too wide? Seem normal to me. Too strong, what?

5) How well does it track?

Tracks very well, just not as good as Nautique. CP twists and easy to get in rhythm, MC slides. MC is different, but if its yours you learn and get used to it.

2016 or 2017 Malibu TXi

1) Any reason not to get this one? Seems good all around.

Not much experience with it but few tourney rides seemed fine. Seems a little tighter inside.

Centurion Carbon Pro

1) Skied behind it once. Seems nice. Only closed bow. How well does it track?

Tracks very well but need to drive it, counter a little and so forth. Not much but needs to be done. Very nice boat.

2) Trick wakes?

?

Straight up all the above boats are damn fine boats. Given my choice with a rookie, less capable driver or timid driver I will take the 200 every time.

• Baller

Wow. Thanks for the great responses. I appreciated hearing from so many with a lot more experience than me. More to think about it, and I'm getting there. I will hopefully check out a couple of these boats this weekend.

Just put my boat up on ski-it-again, if there are any interested Canadians. It's a great boat that got us into the sport.

• Baller

@UWSkier Yeah. That's about it. On mine the rudder was shaved. Can't say why it was shaved rather than just adjusting the tab. I'm assuming that shaving it and affecting more surface area works better than adjusting the tab. No clue.

And the Prostar is almost completely neutral right now.

In any case... when pulling the same person that's real heavy on the line I don't need to do much at all. With the MC I need to turn the wheel a good deal. I'm sure it could be easily corrected. Just getting across that setup does have a big impact.

All great boats so personal preference and dealer should play a big part in the decision IMO.

Mike

• Baller

I've only skied behind the 200 OB of the three you listed. The 200 is a tractor in the course, it doesn't budge when the skier pulls hard. I thought my 196 resisted the lateral pull extremely well, until I drove the 200.

one other small feature on the 200 I really like is the side ski lockers - so convenient with 3-4 skiers in play, no more stepping over skis...

• Baller
were on public water daily. Lake Couchiching, and Simcoe. Laz I believe you are from TO and ski in Newmarket. In our club we have all 3 boats, and depending on your time not skiing, we all agree that the open bow in the Malibu is by far the roomiest, and least likely to get swamped. For me with 9&11 year old girls, we almost always have them and a friend or two, or sometimes mom up there as well. with the 190 and 200 this is not possible. As for tracking, the setup is as important or even more important than the boat between the top 3. I know they all have adjustable rudder, but when I got my promo boat it had the rudder significantly ground/grinded on the one trailing side and provides a very positive push and feedback on the wheel, making it quite easy to drive straight. One other consideration, especially with Can $ for gas, is the 200, at least with the 5.7 seems to consume substantially more fuel than the other 2. as you know, they all ski great. when we got ours the 200 was not introduced yet, so it was lxi or 197, I'm a smart husband, I let my wife pick...

• Baller
We are a family of four skiers, closed bow 200, no issues with space on private water or on public water. Love the storage of closed bow, but the side lockers are even better. However, when we do the trips to a shallow cove for the kids and dog to play and have a cooler full of drinks and snacks, we take a friend's beater pontoon. There is your answer, get two boats.

• Baller
Even though I am a CP promo guy I would have to say that in your situation the PS or Txi would be the best boat for you. I would lean toward the MC, wider withmore floor space-----even with the rear seats in the PS has a ton of room for skis and a the portable course you mentioned. You don't get a trunk but if you bring extra family/friends 'pop the bow' and you have more seating. Plus the driver controls and ZO interface are very well done. (Or I do like @BlueSki's suggestion, but get a Promo CP and a nice used pontoon for the price of the PS and just have fun all day long)

• Baller

Thanks for all the great advice I received from the collective BOS wisdom.

I ended up spending a few hours driving and skiing behind a 2015 Prostar: This is the best looking boat, IMHO. I liked the layout best of any boat I've been in. It definitely torqued to one side going through the course, but tracked pretty well. It was a bit loud. The wakes are good, but not quite as good as I had remembered.

Then the initial deal on a 2015 Nautique magically improved dramatically. It's a 6L 200 OB. Really tough to beat. I think it's the best driving boat of the bunch, which is critical for my wife and (soon) son to drive. She will be ours in the spring.

I sold our 2007 Moomba for a fair price.

One last thing about the Moomba: it's too bad they are not making a direct drive anymore. This boat is 90% as good as any of the big three but about half the price. It was the boat that allowed us to become a 3 generation ski family. Otherwise, we would have gotten another stern drive and eventually switched to sailing (or lawn bowling). It wasn't until my son and I starting making some 35' off progress, that we began to appreciate the newer boats.

Again, thanks BOS.