Radar Binding Quality & Customer Service

H20_2_Ski

• Baller
Same thing just happened to me. Front boot blew out in the heel. I reached out to radar and they told me to find a shoe repair guy to see if they could patch it with something. Mine are vectors from 2014. I get it they are old but haven't been used much due to geography for the past 4 yrs. I figured it was an isolated issue. Sounds like it is more common.

I've worked in a pro shop for ~4 years (not anymore) and I saw radar products come back less than any other brand we sold. Rare that I had a warranty claim from them, and even if something wasn't in warranty they were frequently willing to help correct the issue.

I have a rear 2014/2015 vector that I'm still using with no issues as well.

I had a pair of 2018 Radar Vector boots both front and rear boots that basically disintegrated behind the ankle and fell apart. WTH? I took them back to the local dealer, and was impressed Radar covered it under warranty. I ordered new 2019 Radar Boa boots with aluminum plates, paid the difference of about $50. Previous version had the feather plate. I can say I really respect Radar standing behind the warranty, and love the new Radar Boa's. They changed the material to Carbinex sides, and they are super comfortable and more responsive than the old Vectors. I give Radar credit for innovating and improving the design and standing behind warranty. Kudo's to them.

• Baller

@brooks, @eddie_roberts_jr, I bought these Vector boots 2 1/2 years ago and a month ago the back of the front boot ripped. I just went down to Perfski and bought a new pair. It didn’t occur to me to contact Radar concerning any warranty coverage nor would I ask for any now. My question is: were these made from the TPU that @tjones999 was referring to, the type that must be keep dry between use? Secondly, my new pair is pictured. Do these need to be stored dry to keep the rubber from deteriorating? I really like the new boots so I’m not at all unhappy I had to get a new pair!nhus64b64vti.jpeg

h8zbs4zofcvt.jpeg

• Industry Professional
Hey @Cnewbert, looks like you put that old set through the ringer. Those new boots look great, you’re definitely going to want to dry them in store them in a clean, dry place. Thanks

• Baller
Thanks @brooks! Okay, then. I'd been in the habit of zipping my ski into its bag when done skiing and leaving it there until my next opportunity. From now on I'll take it out of the bag when I get home and let it air dry. I appreciate your advice.

It appears as though Radar made a mistake and used a material that doesn't hold up in water or wet environments, not good, but looks like they recognized the mistake and are changing out the material that will last what they are used for. I've seen other binding just falling apart behind the ankles, change the material is the ticket.

• Baller

@lakeside7455

Maybe better said that TPU when left wet, or stored wet, or left wet in ski bag is susceptible to failure.

I have used the Stada/Vapor boots since early 2013 without any issues. And, many, many sets, nearly year-round ski season.

I also remove my wet liners between ski sets. So, boots are only wet while I ski.

I hope the new material has similar stretch and release characteristics.

• Baller
I have been using Radar Vectors and Radar Profile boots since 2013 with zero failures. I’ve had to replace laces occasionally but that’s it. I do store my skis in a Radar neoprene ski sock in a dry garage otherwise no special treatment. 6 sets/week, seven month season. I keep the ski out of the sun when I’m at the lake waiting for my turn.