Yes, I'm really posting this

gt2003

Ok, a little better than last time but not great. Just made it around 5 ball in the mini course (must use slo-mo to see or looks like I missed it). Made 5 ball again this last weekend with maybe a foot wider width. Creating a tiny bit of angle. Still dropping hips a bit and am surprised at how far handle is from body. Not skiing near as much as last year since we sold boat and this is hurting technique as well as endurance. Will be skiing much more in the coming year. This is 15 off at 30 mph. The gates are SORRY as I started my cut too soon, pulled out of it, then resumed it. What are probably the 1-2 things that I need to make it through the mini and start picking up a ball or two on the regular course? And "NOT SUCK" is not an option... And yes, that is my wife in the boat wondering WHY I didn't go for 6!

• Baller
How fast is the boat going? Perhaps slow it down a bit. You're not in a tournament, so don't worry about the gate, if you start too soon just keep going. Try to get your hips up and close the gap between your hips and handle. I've never been fond of the mini course. I'd rather see someone shadow the regular course than go around buoys on a min course. The angles are so shallow that it's hard to learn decent technique and timing.

28 maybe?? I'm not proud, just want to run this SOB so I'm open to speed suggestions! I'm really close and had not gotten around 4 ball until the run I posted. I went ahead and went for 5 and was surprised when I got the tip around it. I'm going to keep after it, no doubt. I'll run the mini and pick up a few balls on the regular before years end. I'm planning to ski this coming weekend as well.

@LeonL , I agree with body position. Mines been better but lack of skiing this year has caused it to suffer a bit. I'll be more mindful this coming weekend.

• Baller

My trainer has been pulling me full length at 26 in a full size course. This last weekend things started to come together and I hit all 6 more than I have ever before. His rule of thumb is if you can't do it slow you can't do it fast.

I was hesitant towards his method but it definitely worked for me.

I would suggest slowing it down and letting the line out and ski the whole course.

• Baller

28 mph. Stand as tall as possible at all times. Point ski more across the boat's path so as to get over there sooner.

The course is not wide. Each buoy just comes up quickly. Work on getting over to the other side earlier by pointing the ski across more; and the extra width of the full course will be no big deal when you are ready to tackle it.

• Baller
28mph definitly !!!!! and give up the mini course, beter shadow the buoys, more angle with the ski and better turn. I learnt the course 2 years ago and 28mph is a good speed to work on techniques and you have enough time to feel what is going on plus be aware where you are in the course to correct your techniques in all the phases of the course. It worked pretty well for me to have the course cut in phases. And go for it !!!!

I was trained at 26 on a Senate and it felt like I was sinking. Another vote for 28, here. The mini course will give you confidence once you nail it a few times but then start shadowing the big course. You'll get a lot more out of it and advance more quickly.

• Baller
I 2nd (or 3rd....4th) going a little slower. I've been working at 28 mph for a while but full course (not half.) I just completed the whole thing a couple months ago. I started just being able to get around 2 balls, then shadow the rest maybe picking up another ball down course. Being LFF the 3rd and 5th ball were hardest for me so I soon got to where I would get 1,2,4 and 6 shadowing 3 and 5. Gradually adding more. Balance the course with free skiing to work on position, particularly your offside cross position.

• Supporting Member

To go along with all of the comments about slowing down, I think you might want a significantly larger ski at this stage. Personally, I think 26* is the ideal speed for most people to learn the buoys, but you need a ski that doesn't get buried and spray water everywhere when going that slowly.

I'm not the resident expert on ski sizing, but it's not unheard of for somebody to learn on a moderately wide 71".

*Or slower if you can. My daughter is about 130 lbs and with a proper ski (I think it's an old 67") she looks pretty comfortable at 21 as she is getting a feel for buoys on a single ski. When she gets better, she'll probably work her way down to a 65 or even a 64. But right now the larger ski gives her a chance to have some success by running very slowly.

• Baller
Give this a try. Go around 1 shadow 2,3,4,5 and try for 6 and the exit gate. Then try adding from the far end. Add 5 then as you get more comfortable 4 then 3 then 2. You get more turns and pulls with falls .

• Baller

As someone who just coached a friend from not ever skiing to running the course at 15 off at 30MPH in 9 months you need to forget the course for a bit.

I made my friend run drills for weeks at a time. Pull out, coast and cross the wake. He wasn't allowed to attempt the course until his wake crossing was solid. Trying the course too soon will only make bad habits worse.

My advice. Get out of the course, slow the boat to 26-28 MPH and work solely on crossing the wake. Focus on starting your cut in with proper body position. Hips up, handle down, stacked and connected across the wake. Forget about your turns. Once you can nail the wake crossing turns will come.

I know it is not what you want to hear, but it will pay off ten fold in the long run. I know I hate when I am told to get out of the course and run some drills. I promise some good drills and muscle memory will make the course much easier in the long run.

Thanks. I only have a private lake to ski on right now but that doesn't mean I can't do drills. My stack has never been great but it was better last year when I was able to free ski more often. My endurance this year sucks as well!

• Baller

I started on a Radar Theory 67 running 26. Some times just below 26.

Took me type 50 runs to do all six.

Trick skiing on a single ski helped me get better stack and better balance.

Also ski the course with the trick ski.

Have made all six 26 off at trick speed (26 km/h).

Fyi. I am an old guy starting skiing very late in life.

Best luck.

• Baller
Had my daughter ski with Breanne Dodd 2 weeks ago and all they did was wake crossing drills just like @BrennanKMN mentioned. Just outside the whitewash, no further, hips up/handle down as the crossing gets stronger move out farther and repeat. What an amazing difference I saw in her skiing in only 3 sets of coaching. Breanne actually did the same drills before running a 32 and 35 pass for the girls riding in the boat.