Wakeye App update

Jibbo

• Baller

Wakeye iOS app has just released an update that includes:

Auto Mode will now be the Default setting

It will retain the FPS and Zoom settings previously set even when app is completely shut down

Low resolution in iPhone 6s bug fixed.

Any feedback on these updates would be appreciated.

• Baller
Ok I had to buy a Samsung to shoot any decent video with the Wake eye setup. I have a 6s plus now so is it going to be any better, I understand this is/was an iPhone problem not the app? On the Android app it would be nice to have a better zoom function, one that you can recall each time rather than the slide.

• Baller

What is the preferred setting? Stabilization on/off?

I had mine off because someone on BOS said the app works better with it off (maybe that was for a Samsung). I tried both but don't see a difference when viewing on my cell. Maybe on a bigger screen like a laptop it would be obvious which is better.

• Baller_

Before and after the update. Note: not a Wakeye tracking system. Shaking may be more of what I use. Also forgot to set zoom to 1.25 this morning. It is the pixilation of the first video that has beed drastically improved. Just pause either at any given point and it is obvious. Still playing with RTP and settings so skiing kinda...meh.

• Baller
Looking forward to the Android version update here. I get a minor rolling shutter effect with my Nexus 6P. Nothing terrible, but what I have had happen on a couple occasions is the app crashing. Missed my second set this morning since the phone had shut down. Haven't seen this happen on my HTC M8, but I don't like that camera as much, especially in the early morning lighting.

• Baller
Videos taken on smartphones are excellent ... IF ... a capable person is holding the camera and filming. But mounting smartphones to pylon trackers is often terrible. Between the rolling shutter effects, and the anti-shake algorithms, the murky, wavy results aren't nearly as good as any GoPro at 1080, narrow, 30fps. If your smartphone gives you the option, make sure any video stabilization or ant-shake features are turned off. The camera shaking you get when the skier grabs the handle will be there, but most of the software-induced waviness will go away. And this waviness makes it tough to get a good read on ski behavior for tuning purposes.

• Baller_
@SkiJay i find the phone vids extremely helpful when importing them to "Coach My Video" app. Slow motion, stop fame, frame by fram make all that waviness or shakyness or recoiling from taking up some slack vertiallally unimpactfull to analysis. Watching at full speed does have its benafits with noticing things like pace, timing, rhythm but the above doesn't really affect that either. Most technique things get analyzed at slowed rates. Add to that the ability to pinch zoom, draw and do side by side videos and it's a powerhouse. All from the convenience of the boat at the end of a set. No need for wait on transferring from a SD card to a computer then analyze much later. Just says..... :-)

• Baller
@Wish Coach My Video isn't available for Androids, and Coach's Eye has been nothing but frustrating. I like the benefits you've listed, so I wish Coach My Video would port to Android for a try. So far, however, the phone apps I've seen are good for technique work, but not detailed enough for ski-tuning. I'd love to not have to carry around a laptop.

• Baller
@Jibbo -- question. My brother and I skied today and on his iphone 6s the video playback starts out in normal speed and then all of the sudden goes to slow motion just as he is entering the course. All of the videos playback this way. Is there some setting we don't know about or a way to make that stop happening?

• Baller
You need to go to edit and slide the little bars at the bottom of the screen all the way to then watch. I wish regular motion was the default and slow motion was an option. I also have an issue on iPhome 6 where 240 renders the app useless? 120 works well so I will stick to that

• Baller_
@Texas6 it may be that your 6 memory is full or close enough that 240 is just to big of a file. I never went above 120 but often ran out of space. Lots memory used if some are in the app at 60fps and some have gone to your photo album. Just a thought.

• Baller

resurrected an old thread...

I usually shoot at 120 fps so it goes straight to my phone's photo gallery, mostly for ease of use/sharing and can easily see dates and times. However that takes up a lot of unnecessary space, is there a way to get 60 fps videos to default to saving to the phone gallery instead of the wakeye app gallery?

• Baller_
@Lars that’s really good to know. I have not upgraded past 6s as the camera works well. But would consider if I knew the GPS still worked for the app. So you just pull the phone carriers some card and use the app as normal?

• Baller_

@BCM and @Wish, I am also using my iPhone SE (the old SE, not the new version they revived this year). It is my active phone. I do not know how/if it works when it is used as an inactive/spare phone without service. When I set it to 60 fps and Stabilization on, I get very good video and decently smooth tracking with the Wakeye mount. Here is an example:

P.S. You should be able to view in 1080p HD.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
One caveat on using the old phones: my iPhone 4 GPS did not function after I discontinued my service and/or upgraded that iOS to the last version it could take. So, I don't know if Apple disabled my GPS with the upgrade or if the lack of service caused the GPS to stop functioning. But, I could not use my iPhone 4 for Wakeye video after that point.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Buy an older Android phone. Works great, even in low light if you get a decent one like an OG Pixel. I grabbed one off Ebay for about 45 bucks this summer.

It was DARK when this video was shot, and I think it turned out pretty well considering the light conditions. Can see a bit of pixelation, but who cares? It's a phone.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tu43Qdmwaive3FyY9

• Baller

@mylemsky Pixel 2 and later introduced OIS (optical image stabilization). OG Pixel has a phenomenal camera and is a really recent handset to NOT have OIS.

Any phone with OIS is going to struggle. They're tuned for the frequencies of shaky human hands, not a metal pole bolted to the same bulkhead as a small block v8 at 3700 revs.