All New 2017 Radar SENATE

TallSkinnyGuy

• Baller

I just ran across the video for the new 2017 Senate line. For those of us who are not at the Vapor level yet, there are some interesting changes for 2017 in the Senate line. Here is the video if you want to watch it, but it looks like all the other slalom promo videos:

Here is Radar's description of the Senate line:

New for 2017 the Senates match shape to our latest Vapor. This is hands down the best Senate we've ever made and it comes in three constructions. Lithium Senate is 100% Carbon Fiber and PVC Core. Graphite Senate is 100% Carbon Fiber and a Polyurethane Core. And new for 2017 the Alloy Senate is 100% Carbon Fiber and our new Hybrid Core which is a Polyurethane Core with Paulownia Stringers for a damper calmer ride.

So, new shape for the Senates and the Alloy version gets wood stringers often used in the wood cores of snow skis but bumps up to 100% carbon fiber.

Really looking forward to hearing from people with experience on the last Senate shape and how the new ones compare.

• Baller
as an aside, I have a 67 inch Senate a that I bought last year as a "guest ski" at my house. My brother skied it today. He's 6'7" and 220lbs. He usually skis on a 69 inch Mapple Sixam 1.0. The 67 inch Senate had plenty of support for him despite his size. I've had about 5 guests of different sizes ski this same ski -- it looks good for all of them. This ski seems to serve a broad range of weights/sizes/levels with equal ease.

• Baller
@gmut I think I saw a video or read something from Radar that said their Senate line is manufactured in their factory in China and "overseen by Radar employees." So, it sounded like they outsource to a China factory but have Radar employees on site managing the production and doing quality control.

• Baller
Currently on a 2016 71" Senate Lithium. Love this ski, very fast side to side and it turns extremely well. I will admit that I too was disappointed that it was made in China and I did tweak the ski a little, added relief holes(are already there on the Vapor series) in the ski for the depth and length screws on the fin box and the wing assembly on my particular ski was not symmetrical so I replaced it. Very easy ski to ride, no surprises.

• Baller

I have and I absolutely love it! Of course I am extremely biased but the ski is a big improvement over the Senates of the past. As you may have already heard, the 2017 Senate is the same shape as the 2016 Vapor with .2" added to the width. They should be available toward the end of this month or early October in all three constructions.

• Baller
@eddie_roberts_jr My understanding from last year's Radar brochure is that the Senate/Lyric is not just 0.2" wider than the Vapor, but also has a different rocker (longer flat spot for increased stability) and something different in the tail shape to make it more stable for us intermediate skiers, correct? I assume that is the same for the 2017 versions?

@gsm_peter I may have miss understood. You running 32 off or 32mph? If 32 mph, I probably wouldn't worry too much about upgrading until consistent 15off at 34mph. That's my goal. I also would like a lithium, but I just like trying new stuff! B)

• Baller

@gsm_peter the shape of the old orange Senate (2012 & older, Strada shape) is awesome BUT you have the 1/2 fiberglass version. That fiberglass is NOT helping you any. Get off the glass man!

Any of the '17 Senates would be a big upgrade. Even the Aloy is now 100 % Carbon.

• Baller
@Bill22 The glass/carbon mix is supposed to make the ski more forgiving, so for someone who is developing technique and needs a forgiving ski, the fiberglass could be helping a lot. I'm with @paco, in that I think I want to stay on the Alloy version until I can run 15off 34mph consistently. I want the forgiveness until I can be more consistent with my technique.

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy Correct. When my Goode broke and I was waiting for delivery of new ski I skied on old fiberglass ski, ski was heavy like cast iron bridge ))

But it gave a very nice feeling that I can do some things easier than on modern carbon/PVC ski. Very forgiving when you come closer to personal limits.

• Baller

We need more experienced help on this...@Wish, @Chef23, @RazorRoss3, @6balls, @MrJones, or someone with experience teaching please comment on this.

Q: Is someone who consistently runs -15@32mph and moving up to 34 on a fiberglass ski, due for an upgrade?

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy I agree get a forgiving ski that fits your ability but 34mph isn't easy (for someone who didn't grow up running the course). Get the Senate (wider= more stable) but get one that's all carbon, it's like racing fuel.

Think about this, Radar is making the Alloy ski out of 100% carbon. That's the low end ski. They are the experts. They know what makes a good ski, not me.

• Baller
Wow, I feel really special now, thanks for the call out @Bill22. Hi @gsm_peter, I think it's possible that a ski upgrade could help you, definitely not out of the question. That said, the more important thing while moving through speeds is to make sure you are edge changing earlier and earlier and controlling your handle off the second wake. An equipment upgrade is probably not a bad idea in the near future but I think working on the technical side will be just as beneficial in the short term.

• Baller

@eddie_roberts_jr I think there is a group of us here that would really appreciate a better understanding of the target markets for each of the versions of the Senate. Do you consider skier ability for each construction, even if that is not the key consideration? If so, do you have a target skill level for each construction? For example,

1) Alloy Senate for just learning the course up through 15 off at 34 mph

2) Graphite Senate for 15 off through 28 off at 34 mph

3) Lithium Senate for 28 off and shorter at 34 mph

Obviously there is tremendous cross over between each segment (i.e. someone just learning the course would likely do just fine on a Lithium Senate). But, do you have target skill levels for each construction or is price point the only concern for your target markets?

• Baller

@eddie_roberts_jr

Is there any other benefit besides the Core material in the Lithium compared to the Graphite version?

Thanks all for your support

I think the ski shape in it self could be a reason to upgrade?

The new Vapor shape could support me being more forgiving and also increase consistency?

The Strada shape might have some disadvantages compared to the latest Vapor shape.

More Carbon is most lightly not a bad thing either.

In any case I have to wait for a new ski until next season since there are no Senate Lithium in Sweden at the moment.

• Baller
@Bill22 I would say you could upgrade but be careful if you get on something that is less forgiving it could set you back. I would say demo and if a ski isn't better in the first 2 or 3 sets stay in what you are on until you are running 34.

• Baller

@Chef23 great advice, I could have used it last spring! We are helping @gsm_peter who lives in Sweden. I don't think he has any demo opinions there.

@RazorRoss3 I thought you said you were a captain of your college ski team. Either way to a 15 off guy if you run -28 = expert and -35 = Grand Master... lol