Any Ballers around Akron, OH ?

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I am an intermediate skier looking for someone to ski with and to learn from if possible - My wife can only handle so many days on the water as she doesn't ski and doesn't have the slalom bug.

My boys ski but are not quite old enough to pull me yet. Currently i ski about 30 days per season on public lakes and just not enough to progress.

• Baller
I am on Aurora Lake which is private access, but am happy to give you a pull. During the summer the course is typically only useful in the early morning, but once the school year starts weekdays become a good option. Deeper into fall 1 pm on sunday (Browns game) is often good. My wife and I are typically off tuesdays and usually try to ski in the morning once the kids are on the bus. If wind is from the ssw to west, then the course is generally trashed. There is also a couple private sites toward Newton Falls (Glassy Waters, I-80 lake, etc).

• Baller

Hi Guys, Thanks for the kind words :) I currently i ski on Springfield Lake in Akron 80% of the time. It's a nice lake but has odd hours 10AM-7PM (grrrr). Sometimes I go to Tappan or Salk Fork but that is a longer drive.

I have been to Glassy Waters 2x with a friend who keeps his boat there - but it's almost a 1 hr. drive. I see a course on i-77 near New Philly that looks nice but I don't know anything about it.

What clubs are you aware of ?

PS - i don't have a comp boat currently - i ski behind a 19' with outboard - wake is medium size but soft thankfully.

• Baller

I have seen the course on I77 as well but don't know anything about it. I also know of one in Streetsboro but don't know who runs it (I think my brother may have skied there a couple times, will find out)

Emerald Lake off 76 in akron

Canton area (canal fulton) has Boosarosa

Stillwater out by berlin lake

@ScarletArrow is more likely to know the contacts his family is involved in tournaments in the area.

• Baller

The good news is that there are many quality lakes around NEO to ski. The bad news is that there are only a couple of clubs accepting members. I live in Cuy. Falls and it's 45 min for me to get to Glassy Waters. I did hear that Stillwater in Deerfield is thinking about opening their club back up. There are a couple of lakes with clubs to the west in North Olmstead and Wooster.

I can tell you that most lake owners are very hospitable, but you need to come to their tournament and/or contribute in some manner. Find a way to come to some of the tournaments in the area, participate in OWSA, ski in the Buckeye Buoy Tour and I promise you will make tons of new friends and have plenty of places to ski, not just in Akron but across the entire state.

I'm out at Glassy 3-4 times a week. We'll probably host a tournament or 2 next season. Looks like there might be a tournament on 9/9 at Bellalago which is only 5 min from Glassy (keep checking usawaterski.org for an update). Bootsarosa in Canal Fulton has 3-5 tournaments a year.

• Baller

@Mitzysman There is also a ski course on Chippewa Lake. Nice course... just not very usable any time other than early morning on weekends or mornings during the week. There is a "club" of people that supports it... but it's very cheap because they basically just have to buy turn balls and stuff.

My understanding of Bootsarosa is that it's not a club... just a private site (which is unfortunate because it's only 8 minutes from my house and looks like an incredible lake by the google photos).

Hi! I am a long time slalom skier looking for any others still in the "lost art" that want to get more sets in. I'm also thinking of training to enter some tournaments in OH next year. Currently mostly ski on public lakes, but also looking to try joining a private ski club to ski on some private lakes with courses. I have a 2003 MC Prostar 197 for use. Thanks! John