How do you say "hit it"?

dchristman

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
My wife always though it was weird that my brother and I don't say anything- we just look and nod. I would never do that with anyone else, but we've skied together so much that we absolutely know that when the rope is tight and we get the nod, it's time to go. The only verbal commands are usually "stop" or "I've got to adjust my binding", which means...

• Baller
As a Regular Driver in GA, I hear all types of different phrases that mean "Go.". One of my favorites are those guys from TN that come to GA for a few tournaments each year. All they say is "Boat Driver.". I usually say "tighten up" or "I'm ready" and then when the line is tight I say quickly "Yep."

• Baller_
i tried "Give 'em hell, Tinkerbell" this morning at The Fall Slam at Peck's Pond in upstate NY and tied my season high tournament score. Not sure if the good score was related to the way I asked the boat to throttle up or my new shorts ... Could be either.

Lpskier

• Baller

I have started using "OK, in gear...and..... hit it" (like mentioned above) seems to work wonders for my sometimes "junior" boat crew.

and if you are my 10 year old daughter this summer - "ok, prepare to be schooled!" - to which my ski buddy just replied "oh, the apple didn't fall far"... what a proud parenting moment :smile:

• Baller

Since I was a kid it has always been:

1. Skier Announces: "I'm Ready" or "Let's do it"

2. Driver Confirms: "Alright" or "OK", then pulls the line tight and goes

Around here it also seems common for skiers to do something like this:

1. Skier Announces: "Ready"

2. Driver pulls out slack but never talks

3. Skier Announces: "Hit it"

4. Driver goes

If you're dealing with a more inexperienced skier the second method seems to work really well. They can get themselves balanced/prepared for the boat's pull and as soon as they are ready the driver can take-off before they lose their position.

However, there are some pretty good smartass comments here I'll need to start using. I now realize I haven't been anywhere near creative enough.

Hey. I think the main point is that both driver and skier are on the same page. Once the skier says something I always say 'here we go.Of course I'm straight and lined up & ready to go.I have heard a lot of skiers say a lot of things & I like the word 'gear' loudly and I like that word.

First pull up "prepare to be amazed" or "this is going to be stunning" or some equally smart-ass remark.

Wife drives ALOT, so the rest of the get-ups are " whenever YOUR ready honey"

Occasionally try, "Maybe I could run this if you drove topless" or "if I make this pass, do I get a * reward *? " * Edited *

I get a "yes" more often than I think I should, but I ALWAYS crash at 1 ball.

• Baller

Way back in my teens, (Early '80s) when my skiing consisted of a couple of times a year at my friends place or grandparents cottage, I skied with some hot shots who skied at a ski school, and when I said "hit it" they told me that no one used that in ski schools or clubs and the correct phrase was "go please"

Now though, all my drivers are so good, that the rope is tight when it's supposed to be, and pretty much any utterance gets me pulled up.