Why don't more women ski?

eleeski

• Baller

Water Ski Magazine just came out with an article on women in water skiing. As a sport, water skiing seems perfectly suited to women. Skill and artistry is more important than raw testosterone fueled bashing of an opponent. Add in the family friendly aspects and it is perplexing why there aren't more women in the sport.

WSM noted some structural issues we have - lack of female drivers, judges and even competitors. How can we improve this to grow the sport?

Eric

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I have long been a proponent that we should all buy a subscription to WSM and send it straight to our local gynecologist waiting room office

• Baller
Take them to a waterski lake and get them away from all the wakeboard boats and lazy mindset of surfing. All it takes is people like you and I who have daughters and get them out there on skis with older girls as their roles models at the lake. My oldest (5) looks up to a 12 year old at our lake who is a ripper! Once they improve they will be hooked just like any boy or man. Once skiers, always skiers.... The whole family:)

They're intrinsically less obsessive?

I actually know more women who ski than I do men, but none of us enter tournaments. During my last river trip, I was the only male in a free skiing rotation with three females. They were having all of the fun while I was trying to work on BS like stack and handle control.

• Baller
I don't have a good answer. My sister never caught the bug even though she was at the lake when I was from the ages of 5-13 after that she stopped going. My daughter never caught it either even though she was raised around it and even skied an INT event or two when she was younger.

• Baller

@Porkfight that made me LOL.

On the original subject, I know plenty of women who ski recreationally or in things like alumni or fun tournaments. Lots get married, have kids, and hang up the ski. While I'm sure it's not 100% impossible, having young kids and maintaining the skiing lifestyle, traveling the world for tournaments, etc, has to be challenging.

• Baller

Because though there are exceptions, generally it can be a sausage fest??

My daughter loves to boat, and can wakeboard, and hopefully soon, ski. So I have hope. Going to get her and my wife both decent wetsuits so that they are more enticed to go into our cold water. So will be doing my part.

• Baller
I ski with many women, including my girlfriend, her #1 option for the weekend is to be on the boat and get some ski runs in, and she enjoys driving the boat. Maybe its an age thing? I'm around 50 (give or take) and have a few woman at or above that ski. Easier (for us all) once the kids are grown. Maybe not as many women at tournaments.....most of the women skiers I know are as @Porkfight said....they are just out having fun. I think they just like to enjoy it and take it easy, and not be as aggressive as the guys. Maybe smarter than us, avoiding the wipe-outs....?

• Baller
My wife loves to ski and is the only person I have pulled that smiles during her entire run. She loves the feel of a smooth turn in glass water but is not really interested in the course. Now if I could only get her to try a new ski....she is still on the ski that she got used in 1980!

• Supporting Member

At my home lake at the moment, all of the "regular" skiers over age 45 are men. And all the ones under 20 are women. (There are none between those ages, which is a different thing to be scared about.) I may be setting the "regular" line in a cheaty way just to make those statements true, but nevertheless I think it's mildly interesting.

My older daughter appears to have recently become an addict, but we'll see where that leads. She's definitely a course beginner right now. It's kind of hilarious because she has watched a lot of skiing so her body position outside the wakes looks like a veteran. But when she gets near the wakes, you remember she's only been skiing on one ski for 4 weeks!!

• Baller

Hard to generalize. My wife is a great driver and a very good athlete. She loves open water skiing, and tolerates course skiing. Doesn't like tournaments because (a) doesn't feel like she's good enough and (b) doesn't like the pressure of everyone watching. Of these, I think it is really (a) that bothers her. I say that because 10 years ago she was active in competitive Karate (she earned a 3rd degree black belt). She did traditional form, weapons form, musical form, and even sparred (which she hated because she's short, but felt she had to do to be a real martial artist). Anyway, she took home so many first places she quit taking the trophies, and ended up with multiple Grand Champion awards (beat all the women in every age group). So, I think if she felt like she was better at it she might compete more, but honestly I'm just glad she goes out, drives and skis when we are at home. It is great time together and very relaxing and fun.

I don't get why women don't like tournaments. Tournaments are as much a social event to meet and hang out with great people as a competition.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan I guess Matt doesn't count as a regular skier anymore because he only has about 12 sets in this year (6 slalom and 6 trick). I hate that other sports have gotten in the way but he still loves it.

There are a number of other girls skiing in the Northeast region but at the older level it is mostly men.

I've wondered the same - even more generalized about hobbies, but think about what is important to woman like hair and makeup. Those things are contrasting getting in H20. Here is an answer I got when I went searching - "If I cook, redecorate, put on makeup, or polish my nails, these things are just proper behavior -- normal maintenance expected of all women. If a male friend cooks, redecorates his apartment, plays a game, or paints models, these are hobbies that help make him a more well-rounded individual or help him unwind from his busy day of meaningful work. "My hobbies don't "count" because they're just things women are expected to do, not enriching, edifying, or relaxing like proper male hobbies.

• Administrators
I think for some of the female population the issue is strength. Compared to tennis or golf or horseback riding water skiing requires a lot more power.

• Baller

@Than_Bogan agree! And I think some of the comments and assumptions in the Waterski article are condescending and out of line.

I can list a LOT more ligher weight and fit guys that are top level slalom skiers than I can tall and muscular guys. While I certainly think strength matters, I think that it's relative to the person. Zero off punishes a heavier skier who rides deeper in the water.

I was part of an interesting discussion at the Queens Cup between a couple of the top women and top 34mph skier. The question was reframed to be "What would it take to get more women to ski at your level?" The answer immediately centered around finding and being able to set up a slalom ski appropriately. Most women are lighter and have smaller feet so the sweet spot/balance point is different from a larger male counterpart. That said, the high end slalom skis are made for them - largely likely because the market is prohibitively small.

There were 4 women who ski'd at the Queens Cup who have ski'd for a long time but this was there first tournament. Format? Encouragement from others? I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure they'll sign up again next year.

• Baller

I think that they are just really looking for something to write about. I am fairly sure that women's competition in waterskiing is roughly similar to other comparable sports. Our sport requiring possible trailering of boats (along with the need to change oil, impellers, etc.) might hinder the "average" woman as these are typically things that men do. Ditto for course work, etc.

Not trying to be sexist at all. Just saying that where mechanical stuff is involved, guys to more of it. Take the Skidawg family. They all bike and to Tri's, but in general he is the mechanic/pit crew working on the equipment.

BTW. I have 2 daughters and a wife that ski. My wife is a judge, scorer, and driver. I'm all for more women's participation.

• Administrators

My comments are about learning to run the course. I've watched my wife struggle and it is strength and willingness to commit to the wake this kept her from running 6 balls and kept her from really catching the bug.

I think that first 6 buoys is critical in building somebody's interest and I think men being more aggressive and stronger get through that easier.

Once you get over that hump and start running passes I have no idea why there's more men than women in the sport.

• Baller

Several people have mentioned women not having enough strength or power to ski the course or compete at a high level. I've never been accused of being a politically correct person but as the father of a girl this thinking is crap.

In my area (Austin) I've seen several junior girls easily run into 35 off. Heck I've seen Bailey Austin run into 39 at Aquaplex. I've also seen some of these girls take some vicious hits and falls in the slalom or jump path trying to scrape out of a problem. No lack of aggression there.

Every time I see one of these girls ski it just reminds me why if I'm a male why are some of these girls better than me? Maybe because I rely on my strength and I use my upper body too much with bad form?

In my opinion most of the time proper technique trumps brute strength.

Maybe females have other interests (not skiing) but strength isn't the issue.

• Baller

Darn it... I have to agree with @Horton's point. Getting the first 6 is the gateway to the addiction. For the first 6, strength has the advantage in its ability to overcome underdeveloped technique of the beginner and make those first 6 happen more quickly. For those less strong beginners who stick with it, and get their first 6, they will eventually pass by the brute force skier who has started chasing buoys vs. skill. @lakeaustinskier is right that skill trumps strength, but I'll add that it matters more for progression. And the top elite have both.

• Baller
I think that most women have failed to understand that if they ski, it is 15 minutes their husband MUST watch the children. When the kids were little, going to the lake was not an easy task, but my husband did his fair share of the work to make it happen. When my daughter was about 5 or 6, my husband told me I needed to start skiing tournaments and qualify for Regionals so that the kids would also want to ski in tournaments. That started the fun, and now we spend most of our free time at the lake as a family, all four of us competing in tournaments together.

• Baller

@MrJones makes a solid point with a tendency for people to slip in "gender roles". Many people around my lake will ask for advise on boats, skiing, etc. Whatever boat may fit the family, I always tell the guys, the day you buy the boat, have your wife drive it off the trailer. Start the habit of women doing the driving,basic maintenance, etc. They will be more likely to take other women skiing (without the meathead guys around), they will pull more kids (hopefully not tubing) and not to mention they will pull you.

@Horton also makes a good point for their progression in skiing. My wife ran her first full 6 a month ago. She went OTF yesterday coming into 6. Instead of talking about aches and pains (even after two barefoot faceplants earlier in the day), or complaining that this is hard, etc, she was pissed she didn't run the pass. I have watched this glorious addiction infect her in the last month..... Next step- tournament.

• Baller
eh, I was basically head coach at Iowa while I was on the team and men and women alike struggled with the course from a combination power, form, and fear of wakes issue. None of those are gender specific, anyone who was an athlete before learning to ski likely has most of the strength they need already, anyone who wasn't is going to struggle until they build it. I don't think there are any good reasons why the competitive side of the sport outside of college isn't more diverse. What I can say is finding access after college can be extremely difficult so that is the leading reason the college diversity and frankly sport growth isn't trickling into the rest of the sport.

• Baller

I think a lot of it comes down to access. Of the 5 girls on my collegiate team. (Graduated in 09) Only one is still skiing buoys and the rest occasionally ski recreationally.

It's a similar story for them as it is for most post collegiate skiers. Access is not realistic for most people who are making 50k a year out of college so they drop out of the sport and lose the bug. It's an unfortunate reality of the sport.

It's not a gender problem, it's an access problem.

• Baller

I can honestly say that Suzi Graham inspired me to run my first 28 off. First pro event I ever went to was a Coors Light stop in OKC. We went up and watched the qualifying on Friday, then skied at our lake on Saturday. After watching her ski I determined I was a wimp and needed to get after it. Ran my first 28 that day.

• Baller

The college women once graduated are virtually all the female skiers in San Diego. Definitely trickling down.

After coaching college kids for years, there is no gender advantage either way. Nor for the 8 year old kids bouncing through their long line passes.

And slalom is NOT the only part of the sport. Female trickers and jumpers learn quickly and steadily.

@MrJones Kirk wrote the article because he's seen the value of women in fielding a college team. Since virtually his entire team, men and women, started from zero experience (UCLA has gpa requirements that don't select for athletes - too much homework and not enough time at the lake), he saw how gender made no difference in the development of the skiers. Made him wonder. And going from college with huge female participation to AWSA where few women ski highlighted the scarcity of women. The article was difficult to write and balance the great things about the current system with a real need to include more women.

I, however, started this thread to stir things up. @Horton probably won't ban me for that because it has generated views...

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski and I just last night witnessed one such San Diego-area college grad rip a beautiful -22 at 34. Strength didn't have anywhere near the effect on her pass that her determination did. And she did this after taking a full-body slam into the wakes during an earlier pass. The OTHER San Diego-area college woman we were with whipped out a dozen trick passes, hand and toe, amidst a classic @eleeski coaching frenzy. Both met their current spouses through collegiate water skiing. Both couples are very active in the local skiing community.

Granted, a small sample size and totally anecdotal, but...there it is.

• Baller

Hummmmmm.......IMHO......most women who havent grown up skiing do not seem to have the passion.... there are only a few select women like myself.....im usually the first one in the water in APRIL.........cold? If your cold..the sport is not for you..

If there is a chance to get in the water...im there...

The hardest part for me this season is finding a driver..

"Do you Men encourage women to ski even if they can't catch all six buoys?"

@Texas6

• Baller
@Shell, I encourage everyone to ski. I intentionally advocate for the sport as much as I can. I give the children in my neighborhood free lessons several days a week and it's something I enjoy doing. Of the four or five kids I worked with this summer, I taught two neighborhood girls (13 and 11), and they were two of my favorite kids to work with. Both went from not getting up to running all 6 at 15 off before school started. They are hooked and its created a bit of a neighborhood youth rivalry to see who progresses fastest. My two sons help with the lessons

• Baller

Thats AWESOME....I also taught my 3yr old niece to ski on a trainer...and my 16yr old son slaloms ....how great is that to have a neighborhood rivalry....i want to join in the fun...right up my alley...great job!! @Texas6

Also...only some are competitive....and as a 48yr old woman....im still as competative as hell...lol

Maybe it was from me having brothers..lol..