Trick Ear Protection???

BCM

• Baller

I ruptured an eardrum this weekend tricking. Weird fall, not too hard but hit my ear just right. I have been working on a wake back five front, ski partner kept telling me I was sliding it so I tried to get a little extra pop in the tournament this weekend, I didn't slide it... Went to urgent care (got antibiotics), seeing an ENT this week.

Does anyone use any type of ear protection/cover? If so what are you using? Part of me thinks this was a weird fall with a relatively low probability of occurrence, but at the same time, its incredibly annoying...

• Baller_
If you can afford it (really not that much $ and cheaper by FAR then permanent hearing loss), go see just about any local Audiologist (despenser of hearing aids). He/She should be able to custom mold "ear plugs" that can be neon bright in color and float if it falls out. They can also be fitted with a tether string that can be clipped to the shoulder area of a vest for slalom/jump. I recommend you do NOT use the home molding kits. They are not always successful and an Audiologist/ENT will be picking bits of un-cured ear mold bits out of your ear canal(s)..not a pleasant experience. Permanent hearing loss from multiple eardrum ruptures is going to happen. Simply not worth taking a cheap way out.

@Wish is right. I have a set (and wear hearing aids too but not when I ski). Just make sure they float or have a plastic band/string molded into them so you can tie them off to your vest. Another recommendation is have them made in dayglow green or orange or some other bright color. Having them fall out of your ears in a fall is unlikely too but it'll happen.

Also, with these molded ear plugs they are very, very comfortable. A bit tougher to hear coaching from the boat but that's what I live with all the time without the hearing aids.

• Baller

@Wish - I will ask about the plugs when I go in to get things checked out again next week.

@Skoot1123 - I spend a lot of time around chainsaws and tractors, but, never without proper eye and ear protection. Way too many people in my family who spent their lives around equipment who can't hear anymore...

I was kind of surprised, it wasn't a bad fall, just a little edge catch, but apparently the angle was just right to force the water into my ear...

• Baller_
Maybe I'm seeing that wrong but it looks like that Docs plugs are more a a funnel then a plug. Anything you buy on line, you MUST be certain and I mean MUST be certain that it is impact safe. Will it go further in the ear? Will it keep very high pressure water out. Order at your own risk. I have been in this business for 25 yrs. the ONLY plugs I would use are custom molded ones done by an experienced professional.

• Baller

Pro plugs are vented for impact so they don't create a column of pressurized air in the ear. They are specifically made for that purpose.

As a kid I had 3x sets of tubes in my ears so my eardrums are a scarred battleground. After a half dozen ski related ruptures I have had Proplugs hanging off the back of all my ski vests. They have saved me a million times.

• Baller

My experience (2 ruptures in 2 years) is that you just need to avoid the initial blow that comes with the fall. After the 2nd rupture I started wearing a neo headband. Probably close to 20 years without a rupture.

YMMV.

• Baller
I use docs pro plugs. Not a tricker but I've perforated my ear drum multiple times. Never while using the vented plugs though, just when I get lazy and stop wearing them. They work great, just thread the lease through the tag on you vest and they are always there.