Preparing for ski school - arms/back

wtrskior

• Baller

Headed to ski school this fall a few times. First time I only have 3 days and want to ski every day, 2 sets.

I normally only ski about 5, maybe 6 sets a week during the season and I won't have skied for about a month by the time I go

What should I do to keep my arms and back from seizing up when I get to ski school? I've always found my arms are the hardest muscles to recover.

• Baller

Just done 16 days 24 sets. Fantastic Skiing, Phil Many Thanks Great Skiing with you.

Engage Core before skiing, 10 sit ups x3 + the plank and the cat

Stretch= Hamstrings, Touch Toes, Periformis.

Back= 9" Firm Ball (walmarts) Roll Back every morning, After every set, Before bed.

Arms= Deep water starts don't grip the handle, hook it like a rock climber ( save those fore arms

Hands= New Skin, Tape, Under Gloves, Pro Gear Gloves (not kevlar)

Body= Meds, Ibrofen, Advil, Solpadein Soluable,Tube of Salonpas (superb), plenty of crushed ice.

Aftercare= Deep Sports Massage on return to Home

• Administrators
I'm an old man so maybe I have different issues than the rest you guys but when I have to ski a lot it is endurance that kicks my ass. If I had to train for a number of days of skiing a lot of sets it might be just running ( because my swimming skills are terrible)

• Baller

Thanks for the tips guys keep them coming. I sk in Florida a few times every fall so I know the drill with respect to my hands. I have vice gloves that I haven't used in years, could not get used to them and they wear a blister in an unusual spot. I need some liners and tape for sure.

My biggest concern is my arms and back. Part of my problem is I tend to pull to much.

Pull ups, rows, squats are all on the list now.

@Horton. I am a cyclist and usually ride a fair bit through October when skiing dies down in the north pole. At last it gives me a bit of upper body.

When you do your pull-ups, try slow ecsentrics. 2 counts up, pause, 20 counts down. You won't be able to do the 20 counts down right away, but work up to it. You will only be able to do about 1-3 reps since time under tension is longer for each rep. This is great for the ligaments and tendons.

• Baller
We ski in the NW USA. I have same thoughts as above about the hands. I wear latex gloves under my ski gloves. It seems to defeat the hand-destruction (like calluses being ripped off) for me. For fitness, there isn't a "magic recipe" I would say. Just have confidence you have done your workouts however they are, and that you have had time to get that done, before you head down there. I don't think skiing itself allows enough conditioning time to be its own workout. I can tell you an account from an F-15 pilot I met. I was talking with him about waterskiing. How intense it is while you are doing it, but also, what to do to get ready for it. He told me that while he was a pilot, in his free time he was either running or lifting weights to get ready for the endurance or short-term maximum-exertion aspects of flying a very advanced airplane. He seemed to understand waterskiing. I also will be going to Florida in early summer, 2017. This winter I may try a different workout scheme (like Crossfit) instead of the normal gym. I plan to bring the best assortment of food I can and get as much sleep as possible while there.

• Baller

I like kevlar in colder water. Warm water I like amara; it's softer on your hands.

I really don't think it's just the warmth of the water in Florida, there has to be something with the mineral content Compared to up north that destroys hands. It would make sense with how different the soil and ground water composition is.