How do you transport your ski ?

RideTheWater

Hey ballers

I will fly to turkey next week and have the possibility to ski for free when I'm there. But apperantly I'm a little afraid to take my ski with me because I know how rough the workers at the airport are. So how do you transport your gear when flying to make sure it doesn't get damaged ?

I was thinking about buying a sportube series 3 because it seems to be quite safe ... an experience with it ?

• Baller

I think you'll find a lot of sportube fans will respond...

but in support of all things DIY and frugal, I've bought $2-3 worth of pipe insulation, put sections along my ski edge, put a cardboard structure over my fin/tail, stuffed it in my ski bag and taken a couple of transatlantic flights without issue.

That said, my ski is getting older, is only worth a few hundred $, and I wouldn't have been heartbroken if it had been damaged and given me an excuse to buy something newer and shinier.

• Baller

I've had my sportube 3 for 6 or 7 years. I only use it a few times a year but no issues. There were posts on here about making it easier for the TSA to open and close such as using a C clamp on the bottom part and hooki by a caribeaner on a bungee to it as for some reason the tsa can have difficulty with the pin sport tube provides... ask me how I know..

know a lot of skiers that use softbags without issue. If they have wheels they are easier to lug around compared to the tube and tsa has an easier time with them.

When I get to my rental car one of the nice things about the tube is you can take it apart, slide the peices together and put some items inside so it doesn't really take up much space.

• Administrators
I use a sportube but have lost a ski anyway. Airlines can can suck. Mapple once told me that he thought a soft case like a Masterline bag got better treatment by the airlines.

• Baller

I used to use Sportstube, but went back to the soft roller bag, issues I had with the sports tube, Awkward to pack, if the TSA had it apart it would be returned not packed correctly some stuff missing and not put back together properly, the other problem I had was transporting it around you cannot stand it up, it would slide to the floor, with all the above never had a ski damaged.

I find the soft bag easier to pack ,more stuff like clothes as well as ski gear, means I can travel with hand luggage (ruck sack) over sized baggage can sometimes appear before normal baggage, in saying that October 2015 my ski got broken by baggage handling people, travelled since no problems.

I recommend that what ever bag you choose, never let them put it into the conveyer system, insist that you take it to the oversized baggage facility, I believe that when in the conveyer system the bag gets jammed, either a heavy case or build up of cases force the ski through damaging it, or the staff grab hold of it and force it around a bend in the conveyer system.

Just one tip for the soft bag, place the underside of the ski on the top ( bag handle side ) so effectively the ski is upside down when you carry the bag, this allows movement of the ski if something is placed on it and less chance of it being placed on something sharp, always put ski in skibag as well as the roller bag.

What ever you choose good luck, no bag is perfect, especially if the TSA get hold of it.

• Baller
Soft Goode bag inside sport tube. Best of both worlds. I use a radar strada and just put it in the bag on its side pack use the master line rope caddies to extend the Velcro holders then towels vest etc around it and always have my firkin on the tail. Makes it easy for TSA to put it back together.