Death of BallOfSpray

Horton

• Administrators
Thanks for caring guys. As I keep saying 99.999 of you guys are awesome. The point of this thread is to remind the .0001 to behave.

• Administrators
I'm not angry and don't want to make a big deal about it but lately the negativity has been directed towards elite skiers who put up amazing scores that are yet to be certified. The two or three times this has happened in the last couple of weeks I don't think the people that posted meant any malice but sometimes I wish people would take a moment to consider how their words are going to be taken.

• Administrators

As most of you have seen there is a bit of a political controversy being discussed at the moment. The portion of this conversation that is a debate about facts and policies is a good thing for the sport.

The portion of the conversation that is accusation, innuendo and sarcasm is far less constructive. I understand that there is a lot of passion by those involved but would like to remind everyone strive for facts and relevant discussion.

• Administrators
Seems like every day I read a post or two that is unnecessarily sarcastic or negative for no reason. The purpose of the site is to educate more than entertain. There was a day when some of the smartest guys in the sport exchanged ideas and offered coaching to lower level skiers. I see less of that every day.

• Baller
@Horton I can't help but feel as though this is directed at me. My intention was not to contribute toward any sort of negativity but simply point out a pattern I've seen and ask a question. There are so many threads that speak of making the sport more affordable and accessible to people of all incomes and abilities. There is also a lot of talk regarding how the latest and greatest is what you'll need if you want to succeed and sometimes it does bother me. So yes, part of my post may have come across with a touch of sarcasm but I do feel as though the question has merit.

• Administrators
@Justin_C your post might have been the "straw the broke the camel's back” but you were not really out of line. My issue is about the overall culture of the community.

• Baller

Horton: Your site is great. You moderate and facilitate it very well. Some people do facebook I do ballofspray. I look at it every day because it is the only site for three event skiing I have found that gives great information and insight into the waterskiing world that I love. You also keep the gossip crap in control and I love that you do not tolerate people being disrespectful to each other when they disagree on sensitive topics. I for one am very thankful you started and maintain ballofspary and hope it continues for years to come.

Thanks for all you do for the sport.

oldmanskier

• Administrators
@DynaSkiPete it is the flippant comments that I find irritating. Sincere and thoughtful criticism of products of advertisers and non-advertisers is always welcome. You are correct the advertisers do read this website.

• Baller_
To those manufacturers that support or view this site, as a user and avid skier / barefooter I use this site as a source of information on market products, both new and previous generation. I sift through the comments and do my own personal analysis / sifting as to relative importance and accuracy of what I read. This sport has pretty much lost its previous analytical analysis sources that were rolled out from a small test sample, read Waterski Mag & some others. I am very careful to read through the lines and do my best to purge the bias (either direction) out of the comment to gain as accurate feedback as I can. Multiple comments help increase the data set to paint a better picture, I may even set up a spreadsheet to get a clearer picture if it's a product I am considering buying.

• Administrators

It is with great frustration that I had to jettison two long time members in the last 24 hours. In both cases it was because of aggressive and unnecessarily confrontational posts and PMs. It is super frustrating because one of those guys is someone I have a lot respect for.

Nobody I know walks down to the dock in flagrantly insults the first person they see. I think some of you forget basic rules of civility when you get on the internet.  

One of the only rules around here is "just don't be a dick". 

• Like 3

• Baller

This site is not only a great source of entertainment for skiers, but also a wealth of knowledge all thanks to @Horton  Your site, your rules and happy to comply with those rules to be able to continue benefiting from the site.  Thanks Horton!

• Like 3

• Administrators

@markn

The point is to keep the site giving you what you're asking for.Almost all water skiing, mostly slalom and as little drama as possible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1