Emergency Trolling Motor for Ski Boat?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

Is this a stupid idea?

I've just been stuck out on the water for the 4th time in 2 years and had to swim a boat about a mile back to dock. Luckily there were no other boats on the lake, no wind, and the water was glass. This made it much easier for me and my father to drag the boat back to the dock uninterrupted for a new PB of only 1.5 hours.

This is the first time it has happened in my boat, so now I must take action. I should note that I steadfastly refuse to learn lessons and therefore did not have any flippers or paddles in the boat. In fact, the paddles were safely back at the dock in the bed of the truck where they couldn't be lost in case I ever needed them. They also take up less space in the boat that way which leaves more room for dead weight.

So would a trolling motor be a good idea or should I just stick with paddles/flippers? As I've never used paddles/flippers for this purpose (though I have used skis which seem to work OK), as far as I know they could make the job 10 times easier and negate the need for the trolling motor.

• Baller

We have 2 sup paddles in the boat (and 2 inflatable sup). Been about 12 years since we had a boat die in the lake, me in the water with a jacket swimming and wife paddling with a waterski until someone on shore saw us and came out with a boat.

My .02 make sure you have an anchor if it is windy or your lake has a current you might not be able to swim/paddle it.

• Baller

@Broussard,

I've just had bad luck with several ski buddies 15-20 year old boat's (and now my own) and the lake we ski on isn't well trafficked in the early morning hours (for the most part this is a positive). There's no tow-service and very few people live on the lake. Unfortunately, no one we know there has ever answered their phone when we needed a tow, haha. Though I have towed one other person back to their dock when their engine died on the same lake, so I would have hoped karma would be on my side.

Seems like most people recommend just having the paddles; this is also the cheaper option. I did move the paddles into the boat last night while I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the boat, so the next time it happens (hopefully it doesn't) I will be ready. I also do have an anchor in the boat in-case it is windy.

To be honest, before it happened I had totally forgotten I had the paddles in the truck. They've been there for months so that I could put them in the boat when I went to trailer it from storage to the lake. However, generally my mindset when I get to the boat is, "quick, quick, let's get out on the water before the sun gets up and the wind picks up" so I never remembered.

• Baller

A secret trick more effective in small water - get all your rope out of the boat. One of you swim out with the end, then whoever's in the boat hauls it in while you plant your feet. If you cannot plant your feet you swim out and then let them haul while you try to swim away.

Works well since its hard to get much momentum when you paddle/pull - but if you get the boat moving in the water at a good clip its usually pulls pretty easy for a bit, then you can swim away unrestricted under less force. Aim for shallow water and then push the boat or pull with a long rope so you have a better angle on the rope like an anchor, you need to be able to lean away. Been there/done that..

Wear a life vest when pulling boats please.