apex speed as line shortens

cadeltaskier

I am wondering do you experince more speed in the apex of the turn as you shorten the line? I've been just getting into running a more consistent 32off, and just prior to the apex... seems really fast, compared to 28. Some times faster than others. If that is the case, I don't know how I'll be able to get the ski to turn that fast I progress shorter. Any comments are welcome.

• Baller
@gregy -sounds like you may be trying to rush the turn by digging in with the tip or pushing the tail around. the shorter the rope the more patient you can be through the finish of the turn because when you *do* hook up you will accelerate faster and till get to the next ball with time to spare. mapple had a video posted on this site some time ago where he did a side by side comparison between 28 off and 38 off and the 38 turn took much longer to finish but he was still early to the next ball

• Baller

As you progress through shorter lines, that's what happens. The trick to shortening is doing "the work" behind the boat. From each turn, try to get stacked/aligned/great pulling position as quickly as possible. The better direction behind the boat and out to the bouy line and "up" on the boat, will put the ski in a more correct arc, allowing for it to slow down to the right speed to make a good turn

Speed can be your friend, in the right spot.

• Baller

If it feels noticeably faster, you are probably not getting the lean you need and then holding your lean too long.

Be more aggressive and try to think about lowering your upper body another 6" as you hit the first wake. In reality, the boat has more leverage on you than at 28, and will pull you up out your lean, so thinking lower just means you will maintain the same lean angle better as the rope shortens. Make sense?

• Supporting Member

The above advice is spot on. And actually from a physics standpoint, part of what has to happen to run very short lines is to avoid losing speed as you climb up high on the boat. That's kind of the next step: First you have to learn to generate enough angle and speed that you are approaching the ball with enough space, which (as noted above) will feel slower. But second you have to carry said speed with you, fighting the natural tendency to rapidly decelerate as you transition to going almost parallel to the boat. That's where all the talk of "staying connected" comes into play.

The bottom line is that most of the time when you feel too fast it's because you're too slow. That eventually results in feeling rushed.