Winter Slalom Symposium

lpskier

• Baller_
Andy was organizing weekend clinics at his lake that included on water coaching with video,etc. and a classroom component. If a respected coach were to organize such a thing in the future, that included say an Olympic coach from another sport but that produced gold medalists, that talked about topics like mental preparation, physical preparation and strategies for success, would you be interested and would you pay in the range of $1000 for the weekend plus transportation and housing and meals?

Lpskier

• Baller_

It would include three days of skiing. Andy used to charge $100 a set so using his rate as a example it would include $600 of skiing. Pep talker has to be flown in and put up for the weekend.

Just seeing if there's an interest before I put any time into it.

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier,

I went through that style of camp back in the late '90s. They had Olympic trainers, nutritionists, sports psychologists, etc, along with event specific coaching.

As a teenager who ate fast food all day and had never done any mental prep of any sort, it was a real eye opener and one of the best overall things I've done for my skiing.

• Baller_

@Orlando76 It would be a combination of on water coaching (2 or 3 sets per day) and off water class room lecture/discussion. I have talked to an Olympic coach who is willing to come. I have a strength and conditioning coach as well. I like the nitric isn't angle but haven't thought about it. I have a coach in mind but it could be multiple ski coaches. I'm gaging interest first before going down the road of organization.

Brooks just took the brand manager position with Radar, filling Chris Sullivan's shoes, emptied by a move to Master Craft.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier -- I think the concept is cool. I would have loved to have come down for one of Andy's long weekend deals but couldn't make it work with kids still at home. Now they are gone, and my schedule is more flexible. I think the strength/conditioning stuff is really important for us old guys.

• Baller

I would love to do something like this when my shoulders are healthy. I'm very interested in developing a strength & conditions program that will allow my shoulders to recover stronger than before and help me limit future injuries - especially to my back.

How many skiers do you think you'd need to make this symposium viable?

• Baller
@ipskier, the mental game is important, don't get me wrong. That said, I just like to be on the water, not saying the class room stuff wouldn't be good for me but for my money I'd rather spend more time on the water because it's fun. I also don't really get tired so the endurance side isn't a problem.

• Baller

I think the mental part is a great angle, but there is a limit to the $ premium I'd pay for a non-waterskier. A more affordable, ski-centric approach might be getting Dave Benzel to come out for a talk (Dave was a top ski coach in the 80s and more importantly, the most invested leader in our sport when it came to sports psychology - then or now, arguably).

I don't know as much about Mike Ferraro, but he's another ski-oriented "champion-builder" I'd be interested in hearing from (unless I've got my history/rumors wrong, Matt Rini was Ferraro's coaching protegé).