osuskiiershea

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

@osuskiiershea No No and again NO!

There are a lot of rumors floating around about the demise of the CarbonPro and they are not true. There are changes coming and they are all good. I know more but I do not think I am authorized to divulge. I can say the CarbonPro is here to stay.

• Baller
@osuskiiershea it was on their website a month ago, so this is something very recent. I had been looking into a new CB and even reached out to @Horton last month to ask him a question about them. I had never seen a back seat in a Carbon pro and even on their website, their pics didn't show a back bench...so i reached out to @horton to see if it was an option...and it does come with a back bench in case you are wondering. Anyways, Glad to hear they are keeping it around!

• Baller
Correct craft owns centurion and supreme now as understand it. Could be some alignment going on. It would make sense for correct craft to offer a more price friendly model through their already extensive dealer network. The carbon pro would fit this niche well I'd think

• Baller
At the risk of raising ire, ridicule and threats of bodily harm, CC could make a lot of people happy by building the 196 again and selling it as a CP. I'll put my helmet and body armor on in preparation for the assault.

• Administrators
@lpskier what is the typical retail for any 3 event boat? Seems like there are too many options and other factors for there to be a straight answer. The CarbonPro is for sure the economical choice when you compare equally equipped boats.

• Baller
They do sit low but the cushions are raised on a small base and fairly thick. Had some people in them a couple weeks ago for the first time, just taking a evening cruise, they both commented on how surprisingly comfortable they were and it was "cool" to be down so close to the water.

• Baller
Whatever the reality is, they need to understand this industry is small enough people find stuff out, and so no news or updates allows possibly false news to spread. The boat is not order-able for Centurion dealers last I knew, which seems to be another wrinkle in this whole thing, who sells and services Centrurion/Supreme? CC dealers don't necessarily want to take that on.

• Administrators

@unksskis there's a nugget of truth in your comments but I don't believe your understanding is 100% correct. I am under the impression that the future availability of the boat will be much improved. The plans forward are bright.

If it seems like I'm picking my words carefully - I am. I am not an official spokesperson for Centurion and want to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I state anything as fact.

• Baller
I thought they were crossing some aspects of Supreme and CP to create some synergies in parts and production and that they thought they could lower production cost and make a better boat at the same time. I could be blowing complete smoke out my you know where though ;)

• Baller
@LeonL I'm going to tweek your idea just a touch. Don't take the 196 and sell it as a CP. The CP is what it is and has made a good name for itself, leave it alone. Take the old 196 and sell it very bare bones - ZO, and just about nothing else, and sell it under the supreme name instead of the Centurion name. Don't even bother putting the hydrogate on it, but instead just mold the hook right in there just like the TSC1. @Than_Bogan would you buy?

• Baller

CC tried to sell the "stripped down ski machine" in 1993 (and maybe a few through 94), it must not have really taken off. It was called the SN "Standard". Smallest motor, 1:1 trans, all white exterior, no motorbox vinyl, no combing pads, optional/simple rear seat, etc.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/92744663_1thumb_550x410.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/92744663_3thumb_550x410.jpg

Personally I think the "sell the 196 as some other brand" idea is sacrilege– we've gotta stop bringing that up.

• Baller

I'm a CP owner and love my boat. My previous boat was a 196. The industry needs affordable new tugs just as the auto industry sells Hyundai Accents and Porsches.

People will buy new what they can afford and upgrade as they become more successful.

I'm hard pressed to imagine very many people on this site graduated college and went right out and purchased a lake lot in a private ski community,, built a $500K house, and then dropped a $75K ski boat in the water in front of it. If you were able too do that please remove the golden spoon from your mouth! :)

Point being progression is needed for the whole industry and if 3 event skiers and manufacturers don't start seeing that it will help keep the sport at it's current state. I know there are people that believe it's ok so they can protect their little self ski bubbles but I for one see it declining.

• Baller

@jhughes let me offer a different possible explanation as to why that stripped down 93 didn't sell well.

1. The NWZ hull sucks. It's no secret that I really don't like that hull. It is well known that the MC190 from 91-94 is still a cult classic to this day. The only people that find appeal in a stripped down ski boat are extreme hardcore ball chaser. What extreme hardcore ball chaser is going to put up with the big hard wakes of the NWZ when they could instead have an MC190 with what were, at the time, some of the best wakes that had ever been produced?

2. EFI. MC had it in 93 and standardized on it in 94. EFI meant power back in those days and again, hardcore slalom guys trying to ski on some tiny short setup little pond need/want power and a lot of it. Carbed boats back then really just didn't have great power.

3. MC had rid themselves of wood for a decade and CC was just finally in the process.

Summary: The main reason people didn't buy that CC was because from about 84 to about 95, MC was just mopping the floor with CC as far as slalom boats were concerned. Before you just call me a brand loyal honk, let me say that starting in 97, I think the tables turned and CC mopped the floor with MC from 97 until 2014 as far as the hardcore ball chaser is concerned.

I, personally, agree with @6balls that the reason they don't do it is because they don't want the Supreme 196 to cannibalize the sales of the 200. However, at the same time, it seems like they have already kind of done that with the CP so...?

• Baller
@escmanaze you lost me when you said the nwz hull "sucked" it is a great hull even to this day. Not as nice as the tsc or a 94 prostar but a great boat. In 93 the price difference might have been a few grand to a 5.8L and nobody wanted a 230hp 5L in their ski boat when the standard 260-280hp weren't over powered as is.

• Baller

@wtrskior Ha ha ha. Sure, let's call it an exaggeration for simplicity and emphasis. The point you seem to be helping me make, however, is that no serious slalom skier was going to put up with a 230hp 5L. Anybody who wasn't a serious slalom skier probably wanted the versatility of the 205 or the Sport or even the Echelon LX.

However, in our days now, it is well known, that a cheap (by today's standards) 5.7 in the 196 hull is plenty of power for the slalom purist on a budget.

• Baller

@skihard I get the argument in theory. A bargain entrant usually has no ability to compete with its upmarket siblings. If quality however may develop brand loyalty resulting in upmarket within brand next time.

Skiing is different. The 196 is still on par with the best in quality and skiability. Many buy a 200 not because they need the size, storage compartments, speakers or open bow theybuy cuz it's what is available. Many needing a basic great tracking tug with great wakes n quality build buy a 200 but may buy a 196 if significantly cheaper this taking sales n margin from the 200.

If a new 196 was tourney approved and lots cheaper than the 200, how many 200 buyers would have chosen differently esp the closed bow buyers?

The more interesting question is how many txi, prostar and CP buyers? That may provide an offset on lost 200 sales. Interesting to think about I may b full o baloney but interesting mental exercise.

Overall just a statement that the 196 was a really good hull.

• Baller

The reason why 196s (97-09) TSC boats continue to demand premium dollars compared to many other boats of those years is because it's still a hull that competes very well with current model boats (wakewise). That makes it a bargain boat for those of us looking for world class wakes and 1/4 of the cost of a new flagship ski boat.

I think until there is some massive innovation in hull design that alters ski wakes or someone comes out with a low cost low frills high performance ski boat, the 196 pricing isn't going down much below where it's at for a reasonably maintained boat.

OK by me, I love mine.

• Baller

The 196's are great boats, but they are 20 years old. The CP is designed to be an affordable (if not bargain) ski boat without compromises, and it will continue to be a good option for many for much less than SN or MC. We need choices....

Looks like Malibu is taking a two pronged approach with their new boats, pricing TBD.

I hope they do well, just happy to see new SKI boats being designed and produced.

• Baller
That is one beautiful boat. Anything different to talk about? I am bias as the promo person for the CP. It was a very successful tournament season for the skiers and the CP in the Phoenix area. Lots of PB's and a couple of site records. I have owned 5 MasterCrafts, all great boats. The CP is a slalom machine.