Radar Senate or HO CX Superlite

wettek69

• Baller

Gidday guys

Just about to pull the trigger on a new ski, 69" Radar Senate Graphite or 69" HO CX Superlite. I've seen various other discussions which seem to favour the HO, but am curious to know if their "reduced drag etc" is really noticeable in real life. I am not a shortline slalomer, but like the ability to run the course occasionally, will be using it more on open water. 220lbs, 6'1", mainly ski around 32. Anyone got any experience on either ski and can advise if the advertising is true? I am sure the Senate is a great ski, but as I say, there seems to be a lot of good feedback on the HO. I was thinking of putting a set of plate mounted Radar Vector boots on the HO if I went with it, as I think their bindings are pretty good.

Thanks guys

• Baller

@wettek69 I can offer some experience here. Last year I was on a 67 inch Senate Graphite with Profile Bindings. Had some reasonable success. I weigh around 190 to 195. I decided to try a little bigger ski since I was in between the weight ranges. I upsized to a 69 inch Graphite Senate... same bindings. I felt like the 69 ran a little smoother for my weight than the 67 and was a little easier to get up on. Had more success this year... but a lot more reps too. I progressed from 28 mph to 32 mph. I had also bought a 69 inch CX superlite with xmax bindings at the beginning of the season also. I didn't try it until August. After only a few sets I started liking the CX better. I think it's a little narrower than the Senate. I felt that the 69 Senate was probably a little too much surface area when I progressed to 30 and 32 mph. On the CX I felt like the ski was a little smoother across the wakes and more responsive on the turns. So for me I felt like the CX superlite was a better ski. I did really like the xmax bindings too. I had had a couple times on the profiles where i didn't come out of the boot and it tweaked my ankle The xmax were comfy, very responsive and I ejected out of them with no issue. I will also say that I never went back and tried the Senate later in the season.... nor did I ever mix up the bindings.

Good luck with your choice. Both are great skis... as many on here will support!

• Baller

Thanks for the feedback. Been thinking about boots all day now! Probably stick with the XMax bòots if I go with the HO. Does the ski actually feel less "draggy" as HO advertise due to the speed skin bottom and reverse bevel at the back end? I've been on O'Brien all my life and am changing from an old Competitor and Synchro to the Radar or HO. I guess whichever way i go it will be a huge change.

@wettek69, I really like my cx sl. I have a 69". (6'2", 180 lbs). This summer I got more consistent 32 mph passes, and even about 4 or 5 34's. Skiing through the winter, I hope to improve more. Yes, I think the clean edge and texture technology does help reduce drag. Good luck.

• Baller
@wettek69 I guess it felt like it had a little less "drag"... however it could have also been improving technique (hopefully the latter). The profiles were comfy... particularly in colder water since they are closed toe. The xmax were just as comfy though. Both were equally responsive at my skill level. A friend of mine just bought a pair of vmax (step up from xmax) and said they're pretty comfy too. Everyone on here of course says demo stuff all the time. Unfortunately not an option where i live.... so I just bought two and tried them both.

• Baller

Gidday guys.

Unfortunately testing skis is not an option for me, so I'm going to have to choose wisely the 1st time. I will be using it in open water a lot more than the course, and as I say, the advertising really talks up the "lower drag" of the CX. Oh well, I guess if the hardest decision I have to make is what ski to buy, things must be good. I do tend to use my back foot too much, and a few people have commented that the CX is probably a better choice because of this. Your thoughts?

Thanks guys!

• Baller

@wettek69 This summer I was in front of same dilemma: Senate Li or CX Sl. Both have so good scores for skier of my level! Difficult to chose w/o test.

Made it simpler: l like dark laconic style of CX Sl more, thefefore orderet it :smile:

Do not regret, very nice & forgiving ski yet gives me a plenty of space for progress.

Although there is a chance Senate would be even better...

Just rely on your aesthetic sense, anyway you do not have another instrument in this situation.

• Baller

You cannot go wrong with either ski. Starting the 2016 season I was looking at the same options. After being a long time HO customer I went with the Senate Graphite just to try something different.

Either will be a big improvement over your current ski. I do feel you are making the right decision if you go with Radar boots, put them on a Sequence plate and you have more adjustment and the ability to use your bindings on just about any ski.

If you can't demo, read Horton's reviews and think about your skiing. Its probably the best way to choose with out riding them.

• Baller
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will be on open water most of the time, just hacking back and forth. The reason I am leaning towards the HO is basically because of the advertising (low drag bottom, sooooooooo much less effort etc) Call me a sucker, but jeez, they make it sound good. Hence asking if it does actually make a difference you can feel, or if it is just advertising.

• Baller

@wettek69 my friend Ray got a CX 69" Superlite this year. After riding it he said, he could not believe how easy it was to ride and was soooo much less physical effort than his old ski. He said it just glides across the water.

HO puts the speed skin (or whatever they call it) on their top of the line skis so I wouldn't think it was just marking hype.

• Baller
@Bill22 Thanks mate, that's exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to hear. I have no doubt that either ski will perform well, I am just really keen to get feedback on the claimed less effort. It would be nice not to be quite as knackered after a set, but maybe I just need to get fitter.