Fishing to became an Olympic Sport?

gregy

• Supporting Member

Wow, that could actually happen. Japanese are hugely into bass fishing. All throughout Tokyo you can see the ancient carp and the more-recently-introduced largemouth bass hanging out in a variety of aqueducts, ponds, etc. Some quite large.

If anyone gives a damn about waterskiing going into the Olympics someday (not sure I do), I think you should be in favor of this. Cracks open the door for a sport in which a motor assists the ... um ... "athlete."

• Baller
I mentioned something to that extent in another post. Can only name so many, personally zero, Olympic sports that are motor assisted unless you count the chair lifts in downhill. Having boats in the Olympics at all maybe doesn't open the door but at least unlocks it.

• Baller
Motors are allowed if they are not used in the actual competition. IE: there is a bicycle sport where a motorcycle pulls the bikes to speed and then drops out for the actual competition. Skydiving was (briefly) in the Olympics. The plane took them to altitude, but the competition was in free fall after exiting the plane. I've never seen anyone Bass fish while under power (well maybe if they got drunk enough).

• Supporting Member
Fishing with the gasoline engine on is illegal in most bass tournaments. (Or at least it was 25 years ago; probably still is.) However, I still think it's pretty fundamentally different than what exists currently in the Olypmics, because the competitor himself drives the boat. Finding fish is a big part of tournament success, and the so the competitor's use of the engine greatly influences the final outcome. (Unlike in waterskiing, btw.)

• Baller

If fishing gets in, then in the true spirit of the Olympics, the only boats allowed should be

dugout and birch bark canoes. And, bamboo fishing poles.

Water skiing has spent enough $$ sucking up to the IOC. Too bad, as our sport could

provide thrills similar to the Alpine Skiing events. Summer Olympics tend to be a good

bit ho-hum, although the bike road races in Rio were good Demo Derby at times.