Looking for 2015+ prostar with 6.2

paco

Anyone runs across a good winter time deal in the southeast, please let me know. Preferable low hours, no tower, and no wild colors. Options can be low also. Doesn't matter if it has rear or bow seating.

On a side note, if anyone has a 5.7 close by and would let us try it and convince us that a 6.2 is unnecessary, we'd love to take you up on that ;) it will be used on a short private lake.

Thanks!

• Baller
@paco - how short is the set up and is it at altitude, and are you pulling jumpers? We have a short set up and I run a 2015 5.7 with zero issue getting up to speed and settling in prior to the pull out. If you're ever down in Houston, let me know and I'll give you a ride

@Texas6 we're in north east Alabama, so no real altitude. It's an 1800' lake. The 2011 197 we used made it, but my buddy wants one that makes it easy. We've yet to try a 5.7, although it's mixed opinion whether it'll make it or not. Everyone seems to think a 6.2 will make it with ease.

@LLUSA price as low as possible! All kidding aside, it's my ski partner that will be doing the buying. I sold his 2011 for him, so now I've been nominated to find the replacement;)

@bennettsboatandski I'll forward your email to him, hopefully you do have something that'll work!

@Razorskier1 you're a turd! Being that bad boy out and let us try it!!!! The darn things are like a needle in a haystack!

@LeonL Rambo is now in the Malibu business. My buddy doors have a hookup with a promo guy in Mississippi he got his last boat from. That is something that's in the works now. Possibly a boat built for him and used throughout summer of 2017 and possibly being able to get it as early as august... Not a %100 on this yet though, but I think he'll have to make a decision soon so the boat can be ordered and built for spring.

• Baller
@LeonL Eddie hasn't had a promo boat in years, he got out about when I did 2012, there aren't any 2015/2016 promo MC boats in Alabama or Georgia, the only one in TN is Gregg Webb and it is a 6. Things have changed, not sure if Rambo's falling out with MC had anything to do with it or not, we stayed with Rambo.

@Dacon62 wow that is a nice boat with nice colors, but dang on the price! I think it would have to be low to mid 60's this time of year for him to jump on that. Probably have to add another 2k or so for shipping.

@LeonL skiers marine is right down the road from area 41. They carry mc now. Could that have been where it's from? I really don't know much about promo dealings, but I guess it could be from skiers?

At Cobles we only pull motors if we are doing testing for Ilmor, otherwise we run them from the factory until we sell them. I have a 2014 5.7L wth 2200 hours that Joel Howley skied almost every set behind this summer. The lake that most of the staff train on during the summer has an extremely short setup and we have had no issues using the 5.7L over the past three summers, even for 36. In my opinion the 5.7L is a great motor with plenty of get up even in a short setup situation.

At Cobles we only pull motors if we are doing testing for Ilmor, otherwise we run them from the factory until we sell them. I have a 2014 5.7L wth 2200 hours that Joel Howley skied almost every set behind this summer. The lake that most of the staff train on during the summer has an extremely short setup and we have had no issues using the 5.7L over the past three summers, even for 36. In my opinion the 5.7L is a great motor with plenty of get up even in a short setup situation.

@Chris Eller how long is the lake?

Also, did you have to change props or any other modifications to accommodate for a short lake? His lake is 1,800' with no turn around, so it's a drop on each end with a straight pull to the course.

Thing is that some folks like yourself say the 5.7 is plenty as it's quicker than the prostar 197 with same engine. Others say it won't be enough. Everyone says the 6.2 will do the job, provide a better pull, lighter, and possibly more fuel efficient..... This is the reasoning behind the search for a 6.2.

@paco our second lake is about 150' straight out from the dock then over a ninety degree right turn, then 200' feet to the pregates. We run the standard AWSA approved prop. I agree that the 6.2 is an absolutely amazing motor, just not sure I personally would spend the money if the boat is only for slalom. If you did need a little more juice I am sure you could get in touch with Eric at OJ and he could tweak a prop that would give you a little more out of the hole but not affect the slalom pull once up to speed. I have seen him do some amazing thing with just a prop tweak. Much cheaper option than a bigger motor.

@Horton I am usually in need of a few laughs when I get up in the morning waiting for the kids to get ready for school, no better place to start than BOS for that! Great place for us to all keep up with our world, keep up the good work.

• Baller

@paco there was a beauty 6.2l blue and white prostar on SIA. was posted yesterday. looks great and only 112 hours. should meet your specs. keep us posted

@Horton i did read the latest thread on long links...im tech challenged when it comes to that so out of respect no link!. i got it the first time ;) haha

• Baller
I'm also considering a '15+ PS. In '14, some were improving the steering/tracking by changing the steering cable connection point near the rudder. Was that fixed in subsequent years? Anything other things owners have found, that a prospective buyer should be aware of?

@markchilcutt I think that's the boat @MuskokaKy mentioned, right? Either way, it is a nice boat! Y'all keep em coming! It's winter time shopping, love having a bunch to choose from ;)

@swc5150 I think the main issue in 2014 was transmission gear ratio. From my understanding that transmission is still being used behind the 6.2, but was very sluggish out of the hole behind the 5.7. 2015 they went back to the 1.26:1 transmission for the 5.7 that had been used in previous years and all issues fixed. Again, that's just my understanding of the issues. Either way, from my perspective, a 2014 prostar is still a major upgrade over most boats;)

• Baller

@epnault

Thanks for the info. Late model pricing doesn't vary much from '14 to '16 from I'm seeing, so looks like a '15 would be the oldest I'd go with. Never thought we'd stray from CC, but the PS just has too many nice/handy features the 200 doesn't yet offer.