Will Nautique Follow The Design Trend

ozski

• Baller
The new Mastercraft was a significant change in design, like it or hate it Malibu has followed a similar path. Does anyone have any thoughts on what Nautique might do next? The 200 is a few years old now and although traditional and a sensational looking boat its going to date quickly against the other two (at least in the showroom). So are we about due to see a new shape from Nautique or a continuation of function over from?

• Baller
I suppose I didn't really answer the question, though. As for Nautique's next styling move on the 200's successor, my guess (and hope) is that it will be evolutionary vs. some clean-sheet, aggressive change in style. The 200 was a pretty big departure from what was out at the time and I think it has stood the test of time in looks and function. Think of how big a departure the 1990 SN was back then, and that hull then evolved for 20 years with several evolutionary iterations before the 200 came out.

• Baller

Oh man I sure hope not. With the recent release of the new Malibu (going from prettiest to, by far and away, the ugliest) Nautique now sits alone atop the "most beautiful boat" rankings - and it's not even close. If they follow the trend and go to some picklefork bow and stupid poke-out windshield, I will spend weeks and weeks crying, because we will officially live in a world where all ski boats are ugly.

Nevertheless, if I am to predict the likelihood, I actually have to put it up pretty high. Nautiques move from the old style to the new G style wakeboard boats was certainly not made on the basis of sex-appeal as the G boats are absolutely hideous compared to the old ones. Something tells me Nautique is not too far away from doing the exact same thing with the 200. So sad.

• Baller_
Just my .02 worth, it will depend on whether the customer base feels the new TXi & Prostar have made a step improvement over the 200, I got the impression (a lot from this site) that the Prostar was a reaction to the 200 and they are basically considered pretty even in performance. Feedback on the TXi would potentially drive that decision.

• Baller_

I think I'll just keep my 2009 Response LX with ZO. However, we are getting the new TXi as a club boat and I am interested in checking it out.

To answer the question, I think Nautique will probably wait for sales figures on the new TXi to see if there is any spike beyond brand loyalty or regular market share before adjusting their styling.

I'm not a fan of the pickle fork bow, but Malibu's version seems less dramatic to me and, therefore, tolerable.

c7fcowjz93qu.jpeg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Having been involved with the design and line implementation, introduction and real world use of new model ski boats over the years I can say that before the boat even get's off the drawing board trends, application and ideology is scrutinized by nearly every dept involved within the manufacturer's division. All items of the check list are addressed and thoroughly, thoughtfully assessed and signed off on by all involved.

What drives the boats to look and be what they are and direction is more so governed by big brother then anything else. Government regulations play a very large part in the development of today's ski boats. Fuel tanks, floatation, carbon discharge and overall environmental impact play a large part in the design of these boats. Today's designers and engineers are required to design around a power plant that is 20% overall larger then that of one 10 years ago because of the required catalytic exhaust and the fact that today's engines are not designed with the small tournament boat in mind . They have to design fuel delivery systems with anti blow back and surge devices along with vent filtration. Then there is the Floatation. Many have asked why not build a smaller18'-19' ski boat? one of the reasons is floatation requirements for sub 20 foot boats are far more intensive then that of a 20 foot plus, Another words in reality it cost more to produce a 19' inboard then that of a 20'1" inboard.

I have to hand it to all the designers as they have produced some pretty nice looking ski boats in the last few years given the restrictions they deal with.

However I still feel Nautique set the bar quite high with the introduction of the 200 in 2010. the other manufactures are trying to ascend and have put forth great effort to do so yet the 200 still is more refined and has the appearance of a very high end sports machine.

I don't see Nautique straying to far from the basic linage of design for the next ski boat. Correct Craft / Nautiques tournament ski boats have always had a distinct appearance and I don't see them going cookie cutter like the rest of the pack, yet they will provide styling and ski ability and performance that will continue their overall dominance in the tournament ski boat niche.

• Baller
Not starting a political battle, just a question... are there any regulations that have been imposed on the industry in the last 8 years, that are likely to be undone in the upcoming administration, that have the potential to alleviate some of the problems Jody speaks of? Perhaps even lower production costs, that may be passed on to the consumer, or at least slow/stop price increases?

• Administrators

@swc5150

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/fe497dd337d9af8479bb6398b9565d16/tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt.gif

@jordan

• Administrators

We made it all the way through the election cycle without any mention of US politics and you two triple Panda award winners had to ruin it.

LET ME BE CLEAR TO EVERYONE Non-WaterSki politics is a strongly forbidden topic here on BallOfSpray

• Baller
That has got to be the record, hands down, for Panda awards. I thought a triple was cumulative, never all at once. And for two guys to get simultaneous triples, what is the world coming to? Or are Pandas getting less expensive?

• Administrators

@LeonL the triple as always been a single award. You still have to really be a bone head to get a Panda.

As I said above....

Non-WaterSki politics is a strongly forbidden topic here on BallOfSpray

• Baller
I hope they stay away from the pickle fork "box bow" look. To me that is a very cheap, ugly look that reminds me of those cheap, awful tri-hull boats of the 70's. I think that the current 200 design is still state of the art and looks much better than the bow trend on the MC and MB. Most skiers I talk to that really like the others, really don't like their bows and feel that they are a "wally" look. I do greatly appreciate the fact that there are still several viable competitors that keep pushing each other to improve, as we are all the benefactors. The only thing I would change if it were up to me would be to make snap-in carpet available.

• Baller

I remember not really liking the look of the 200 when it first came out. I really like it now. I remember reading about the MC before it was revealed and was sure I'd hate it. Now I think it's a nice looking boat. I guess for me I sometimes need some time to get used to a new design. Not really liking the looks of the new Malibu yet, but maybe I will after it's been out a while. All that said, I do like the looks of the 200 best of all the boats out right now, and they all ski great which is what matters most.

• Baller
My .02 - Nautique builds a nice looking boat (ski and wake), and then they let some half blind person design the stickers that go on them. If they really want to improve the appeal of what is by all accounts a nice boat then put some classy looking badging on it and forget the weird asymmetrical hash marks and bomber art.

• Baller
Just glad to see boat manufacturers continuing to innovate and invest in R&D of 3 events boats. R&D isn't cheap whether you are making paperclips or fiberglass molds. If Nautique, Mastercraft, Malibu, and Centurion are going to continue to try and improve/invest in what are already considered outstanding boats/hulls/technology, kudos to them!

• Baller
There have been rumors for the last couple of years about SN's next iteration. Now it's not likely until at least 2019, according to some in the know. I'm still a fan of the 196, but not wanting to offend anyone, in my opinion the 200 still holds an advantage in tracking over the others. I've driven all of them. CC can change the look, but it will be hard to improve on the tracking.

• Baller
I personally think that changing the hull is great if they want to improve the functionality of a boat and what it's purpose is. However, all of this flashy stuff that obviously drives the cost of the boat, or anything that is not needed for the serious skier should be deleted.....Or at least have the option. No normal person like myself, or anyone getting into the sport will ever be able to afford a new boat or a Nautique for that matter. So if they change the design good for them, maybe I can buy one 10-15 years from now when I can afford it. Love the new boats, but unreachable for me;( sorry for the rant, ski on boys and girls!

• Baller
@bigskieridaho don't be sorry for the rant. The price of new boats is outrageous, but they keep selling them. I guess I'm just out of touch with the level of disposable income now apparent in the world in general, not just in the water sports world.

• Baller

@6balls posting your message you sent to me! Thanks for the insight!

Howdy boys,

Totally agree on this cost of boat thing. My passion is skiing but I live in MN and get to use my boat late April if I'm lucky thru about end of September. I make a pretty good living (close to a 1%'er so I'm told) and there's NO WAY I can justify nor afford one of these new boats...I don't even buy new vehicles and I use those every day, year 'round.

If I can't do it at my income level...I just don't get it...who is buying these boats and how do they do it? Are they doing the 20 year financing and just taking depreciation and interest in the shorts?

DAVE

• Baller

Same here. I'm lucky enough, my wife and I have a decent combined household income, probably well above average which allows us to live on a lake and ski behind our own tug. But buying a new boat is so out of reach with today's prices. It's just ridiculous.

But we can brag about prices all day long, they still will go up and boats will still sale.

I don't get it either.

Seems like I will (have to) stick with my 2010 Response for quite a while.

• Baller_
It is a challenge for the manufacturers to provide the tugs we love at a 'low' price point. Expensive raw materials (although low oil prices will help and offset by the demise of the 'cheap' iron small block GM engine), difficulty in shipping the finished product long distances (not enough volume to get price breaks on trans-Pacific shipping), higher local (US) labor rates compared to global labor rates and providing basically a niche product. I do know some manufacturers are concerned with product pricing compared to other commercial goods.

• Baller

I used to say the same thing as you guys regarding boat prices and "affording" a new boat. "Who buys these things?", I'd say. Exactly like that. The reality is if you really want a new boat, you make it happen. You plan, you prioritize. Create your reality if that's what you really want. Define "afford" as literally not having 1 more dime to put toward a boat or you just getting out of your comfort zone. I just did it and no major buyer's remorse just yet. Life goes on, bills still get paid, and we're going to have some major fun next summer.

Practically speaking, two things: 1)Promo Program and 2)Amazing financing opportunities out there right now. RV/Boat loans will go out to 20 years and have rates under 5%. Go the longest term you can qualify for and pay it off early. No-brainer. Just tough to wrap your head around. If you really want a newer boat, contact a promo owner and have them order their boat how you want it. Pick it up in the fall. Do the same with a ski school for an even better deal. Who buys them brand brand new? Very rich people and companies. Who buys them off promo? Us smart folks who detrmine we can "afford" it and realize we only live once! Both keep the ski boat economy moving, and probably moreso the promo buyers since we are pulling new boats through the system annually. Hope that helps. Get serious and talk to some promo owners and then talk to some banks, then determine your definition of "afford".

• Baller_
In addition to what @jhughes posted, most people in newer model boats have been boat owners most of their lives. I bought my first Nautique back in 1981 and upgraded when needed. Started with the CC promo program in 2001 and upgraded yearly from there. I belong to a club now so no need to own one at this time.

• Baller_
@escmanaze, I wish I could take credit for that shot. It was a demo boat and the dealer's brother (a member of my old ski club) took that photo - at Lake Cumberland, I think. He had the boat for a while. I was the first official owner. But, thanks for the compliment.

• Baller_
@DaveD, maybe I'll do that someday. It's enough to jump off of the boat lift with my son at Billy's Puddle. I think that is only about 10-12 feet and it takes a few seconds to get ready to do that.