releaseable binding vs Radar Vapor binding

Jaypro

i love my radar boots, but im very disappointed concerning safety of the new vapor boots with boa laces. the old strada boots released very well but now it seems like the boa cables are "biting" into the liner tounge.

there are also some other issues.... maybe some radar guy will read this, heres my input:

- the liner is f... smelly even if you dry it.... some people have to carry there ski in the car. maybe there is some better material for the inlay (neoprene?)

- i dont want to be forced to take the liner always out because of the smell issue... (pick some holes in, like on tennis shoes?)

- the tounge of the liner should be "hardened" so the boa dont keeps them from releasing.

you already do it on the back of the liner

- the parts which holds the upper bungees are to sharp ... you killing the bungee

- there are two plastic parts inside the shells sidewalls, why you dont tuck these to the sidewalls? this would make inserting the liner way easier

• Baller

Here's the link: http://www.hosports.com/hardshell-boots-demo.php

Also, it was stated above, but the transition is a bit tricky. This is in part because there isn't a canting system in the hardshells, like ski boots do. SO... when you put one foot in front of the other, the shin leans a bit to the hip, and puts pressure on that side of the boot. I have rotated my rear foot out a little (yes it rotates my hips) and that helped with the transition.

• Baller

Also, it was stated above, but the transition is a bit tricky. This is in part because there isn't a canting system in the hardshells, like ski boots do. SO... when you put one foot in front of the other, the shin leans a bit to the hip, and puts pressure on that side of the boot. I have rotated my rear

• Baller

Also, it was stated above, but the transition is a bit tricky. This is in part because there isn't a canting system in the hardshells, like ski boots do. SO... when you put one foot in front of the other, the shin leans a bit to the hip, and puts pressure on that side of the boot. I have rotated my rear

• Baller

• Baller

• Baller

Also, it was stated above, but the transition is a bit tricky. This is in part because there isn't a canting system in the hardshells, like ski boots do. SO... when you put one foot in front of the other, the shin leans a bit to the hip, and puts pressure on that side of the boot. I have rotated my rear foot out a little (yes it rotates my hips) and that helped with the transition.

• Baller

• Baller

• Baller

• Baller

• Baller
@chris_b About that smell... last week we walked into our ski shack and it smelled like something between cat piss and a dead animal. We have wet, low spot in one corner of the building and thought it was starting to mold after all the recent rain we had (or a cat got in and died under the floor). My buddy started cutting away at the floor and panel in the corner to resolve the problem. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the damp boot liners hanging on the ski rack thinking that they might be the source of the smell. I moved them all out to the enclosed porch, but surprisingly the smell didn't migrate to the porch and the smell still lingered inside. So we assumed it was the wet spot and not the liners. When I got home that day I saw your comment. Hmmm... my buddy had just got those bindings this year and had just returned with his ski from the Buskey Cider Cup. When I got back to the shack I took a whiff of those bindings... BINGO! Take your liners out and smell the boots and tell me what you think.

• Baller

Smell is because organics from the foot - oils, sweat, skin particles etc..

Soak smelling stuff with 3% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and you will be surprised with result - after that will smell like new.

Also amount of white foam during soaking will show how much bad organics remain in the equipment.

Normally washing feet with the soap before skiing helps a LOT )))

Washing liner/boot with the soap after skiing also helps.

Skiing in thin synthetics sock (similar to professional hockey sock) helps as well - all organics from foot do not migrate to liner.

• Baller

I understand mechanics and logics of the MOB, looks pretty safe system.

The only thing I can't figure out is: when we place semi-hard boot on the MOB we need to replace upper laces with static ones. On bindings with stiff outer shell, like Carbitex for instance, IMO it changes the ankle flex a lot from manufacturers setings.

@ISP6ball anyway, theating smelling stuff with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide is universal remedy. And absolutely safe. And costs a bit less than nothing ))

Pour it inside outher shell and let it work for a few minutes.

• Baller

@OldboyII the reason for doing away with the bungee laces is to insure that your foot does not come out of the boot. If your foot comes partially out it reduces the force imparted to the release mechanism possibly causing it not to release properly. Also if you come partially out and then it releases you run the risk of loosing the boot and boot plate if your foot then comes completely out.

As for changing the flex of the cuff, I want the front to have the same exact flex every time, therefore I prefer something there that does not change. That's is why I prefer a buckle or hard laces on the cuff.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I understand the consistency of the hard lace, but I've been wondering the same as @OldboyII ..... more so since the manufacturer designs a soft boot flex with the bungee, loose enough to slip out in a fall, would it potentially change that flex in a negative way, going with a lace that the manufacturer of the boot didn't intend. I'm sure in some cases its possible we could actually be improving on it, as is well documented with the hard shell modifications....

I wonder as I debate what type of boot to eventually go to. I'm convinced that an MOB is where I want to be, but do I want something like the vapor, or would a hard shell be better.

• Baller
@ScottScott the Vapor boot is a great product that many skiers love. It was designed specifically for water skiing. All the hardshell boots are skate boots that were adapted to water ski use and may need further modification to best suit water ski use. Another new water ski boot that has not become as well known is the Connelly Sync. It is very comfortable and works great also. But boot choice is a personal preference issue based on many different things including comfort and fit.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I've been slowly collecting boots to try on the MOB plate. Have an Obrien boot in the mail, looking for a sync. Have an FM shell as well as some variety of older reflex boots to try also. Looking for a dual sport boot for trick and slalom on same plate. So far FM still front runner for me but Obrien for this weekend.