GPS location marking app?

WBLskier

• Baller
@WBLskier Most of the stuff that I have tried to use from a phone or tablet, have accuracies of about +/- 30 feet. I had the same idea to try and find bouys when the lake level goes up. Anyone that has a inexpensive solution please share it

• Baller
@dbutcher Great info. My problem is with the jump course 5,6& 700 foot balls & the grid bouys along with the trick course. At times, it feels like a few needles in a hay stack. I hate the spring when the lake is high and EVERYTHING is underwater.

• Baller
I have the Navionics app on my phone. They have a free version but I bought the full version for a few bucks. It has an option to save points to your map (fishing hole, rock, sub buoy). You can make the point private or public to all Navionics users. I have no idea how accurate the GPS locations are. It is not the most user friendly app but it is accurate with depth and tidal currents.

• Baller

I can't attest to an app that will work for that. I use memory map for nautical navigation, but it only works with areas that have been charted and you down load that map to your device. I believe they do have topical maps of broad US areas that may include your lake, and you can store all kinds of points etc....its not very user friendly either, but once you figure it out its pretty handy.

Smart phones in general can be very accurate, just need the right app to store. I use skydroid for golf and the accuracy is very good....at least for a hacker such as me.

• Baller
@ntx I am technology challenged so this is what I would do. When the last jumper of the season lands his last jump, make him/her tie a buoy on a long rope to the 5, 6, and 7. Same with grid buoys and trick course. The water is cold now, but it still might not be too late for this season. Do it from the platform, and you only get your hands in the water.

• Baller
I have an inexpensive ($100) Magellan GPS unit that we marked select bouts on, things like jump anchors, entry and exit gates, etc. The GPS takes a while to update (newer ones may be better) so it is a fall back when we can't spot a buoy, but boy is it accurate. Twice we have lost sub bouys on jump anchors and were able to send a diver down into 30+ feet of water with great accuracy to find them. It was $100 well spent.