Handle Guards Aren't Just For Shortliners

SkiJay

• Baller

I once had a close look at my handle in a weird fall at -35 and have used a handle guard ever since. But I've always thought the risk of sticking my head through the handle was negligible until shortline. A couple of days ago I clipped a ball during a -28 pass and fell head over heels. I didn't think much of it—until I saw my pylon photo.

People talk about how they'd avoid sticking their heads through the handle by holding or tossing the handle in a safe manner. I wouldn't count on it. I didn't even know I was in danger until I saw this picture. I wasn't pushing any limits when this happened either; I was cruising my opener in calm conditions. And though my imitation of a lawn dart went unpunished this time, I still feel compelled to share this picture showing how far past the handle my head hit the water. The handle is at my left hip, and my head is closer to the boat than my hips. Apparently, it's possible to stick your head through a handle at -28, and probably even at longer line lengths.

The moral of this story is that handle protection isn't just for shortline skiers.

e9i0gk54aoy8.jpg

• Baller
I once crashed and ended up with the handle behind me, through my armpit, on the way through it hit the inside of my elbow so hard I thought it was shattered. Fortunately a week of rest and ice and it was ok but scared the living #$%& out of me. It was at 28 off and I pretty much run that in my sleep, today it's my opener. I've used handle guards since before then but don't see very many others with them, individual choice I guess.

• Baller
Can anyone recommend a 'handle protection' that currently is available [or will be in the spring]? If a stand alone product, what is the best way of attaching it to an existing handle? - cable ties usually leave a sharp protrusion even if clipped short. Would relatively thin bungee cord work? Thanks.

• Baller
Definitely not for shortline only, and falls happen so fast there is no way to "throw" the handle away from you. I only had my arm go through the triangle once many yrs ago on a -32 fall and it happened so fast I didn't realize what happened until swimming to shore. I was lucky, just a badly bruised forearm and wrist, but it makes you realize how quickly things could have gone much worse. Always ski w a guard now, even open water free skiing.

• Baller_
Comment on tossing the handle, I toss my barefoot handle off to the side when doing a barefoot slide drop, and got quite a surprise one time when it must have rebounded off the table edge and smacked me in the leg. Consciously tossing the handle is a good practice (in addition to a handle guard) but it may not end up where you expect it to.

• Baller_
@Texas6, I was thinking of doing that exact same thing. I asked Brenda if she would put the cross bar closer to the handle, but she said the location was not optional. So, If I do this, I may need a second small/narrow panel above the cross bar and just use the cross bar as the hinge between two panels. I wanted my guard to be within 2.5 inches of the handle for arm protection. I may still do this and order the cross bar with my next handle.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
@MISkier - yep, that's a good idea. I thought about that but also figured eliminating 50% of the space below the cross-bar by filling the triangle, was eliminating at least some of the problem. I've never had a crossbar get in my way, but there is certainly still room for my arm, albeit less room, and no room for my head.

• Baller_

If you are handy with tools make one. I made my first one from a plastic homer bucket.

Currently using FM's handle guard. Have had it on my handles now for over 5 years as do all of team Seal Handles. Stephen had the hardest time adjusting but in slalom I think it did give him better handle control.

made this guard by cutting out cardboard then my brother in law had it cut out using a cnc machine at the local college. Works great more than enough room for arm and it was easy putting in N or had a RADAR put in for my radar rope. Plastic was cheap and if you know somebody that has access to a cnc that should be cheap too only took 10 min to do.gvzwrt33e8hm.jpg

• Baller_

@Texas6, I have had no issue with zip ties.

Here is one I made out of some HDPE from Grainger. The zip ties are Ty-Rap brand with specific stainless steel tongues. They hold much better than the generic versions at Home Depot, etc.

b30zyuxohzuu.jpg

• Baller
Shouldn't be that much stress on those zip ties if the triangle is sized right, and positioned correctly. If the triangle is too small and it pulls the line inward when slack, then under stress it will pull on them.....tie off the rope and put tension on the handle as you size the triangle.

• Baller
We had an incident the weekend just gone at the Australian Junior Masters. I was driving the under 21's men's slalom with a skier rounding 6 ball @35off. I felt a sudden jerk on the rope and looked in the mirror to see him spinning flat in the air, above the water. Got back to him and jumped in to help him. He had been grabbed at the back of the head by the handle (it was bent) If that handle had got down to his neck I'd hate to think of the outcome. my opinion is we really need to mandate handle protectors in our sport. I have had one for about 4 years, (bought it through ball of spray @Brewski)

• Baller
Another vote of encouragement for @Brewski here. Mr. Wayne has stopped responding to all of his known email addresses for nearly two years now, and I've tried over a dozen times. Clearly he no longer cares. You can put me down for two the day you're ready @Brewski.

• Baller_
I bought probably my last TW handle guard from @SkiJay. This was after TW stopped answering emails and kept the $55 I paid for a guard I never received. For the moment, I am using that last guard and making my own. I would like to see some new options out there.