The Viking Thread

ErikBerghiller

Hi!

I want to start this thread for all of us waterski enthusiasts that gets prevented by cold weather, snow and frozen lakes for long periods. I want this to be a place for exchanging experiences and sharing tips for how to make it a little bit easier. Share your tips on what suits to wear, how to set up the ski for harder water. And the hardest one, how to motivate your friends and family to catch a cold while driving the boat for you ;)

So I start by sharing mine,

When the summer peaks the watertemperature normally varies between 18° (64°) to 22° (72°) which is okay for just a life jacket and shorts. In early spring and late fall it goes down to around 14° (57°), then I use a Oneill 2mm longlegged wetsuit. Last year I bought a Poseidon semi-dry 4-5 mm to use in even colder water, it do keep me warm but it also makes me stiff like a Michelin-man. And it’s a pain to change in the boat when a little wet and only wearing shorts underneath.

cfxn7xf18z5x.jpg

Now I have decided to buy a real drysuit instead, looking at the Oneill Boost and a 2mm neoprenesock for the rear foot. But I´m not sure how to do with the gloves… I have a pair of dry gloves, warm but no grip to the handle what so ever.

My best tip is to bring a Thermos with boiling water and a bucket, mix It with seawater so that you can take a warm footbath on the transom when you get up, and don't forget to bring hot coffee :)

So all of you skiers out there who don’t back down for a little cold weather or water that feels like skiing concrete, how do you do it best?

Snow on the hood 2016-11-03, Mullsjö Sweden Lake Stråken

ecu0ktvfpm8f.jpg

• Baller

It has been below zero for multiple nights here in Sun Valley, and now we have had snowpacolypse for a few days. I deal by going snow skiing. My first ski love, which has also pushed my waterski love. And skate and traditional nordic skiing. I love to bike too, but I do not do the fat bike thing. I believe in doing the activities most appropriate for the season. The cross training is good. Along with core work year around to support slalom skiing, snow skiing etc. Skate skiing and traditional nordic has plenty of core work built in. The only bummer is snow sliding and water sports are expensive, and I have to work, so I am missing the storm days this week. Oh well. Glad to be able to get out there as often as I can.

Living in proximity to these things is a good thing and makes all of the above better. Much better than when I lived in the city and had to drive to do anything. Makes that Rosewater place in Montana look pretty sweet. Snowskiing, tons of mountain biking, and a lot on a ski lake. I have good waterski options here, but nothing like living on a lake with a boat on the lift if you can pull it off. Don't want to have to re-start my law practice in my 50's though.

• Baller

@ErikBerghiller

We ski in cold weather.

My 2 cents of advice.

I use thin latex nurse gloves under my waterski gloves. They keep the wind out and keep the hands a bit dryer.

2 layers of 2mm neoprene socs fit barley my Radar bindings for maximum 10 minutes.

Dry suite is nice. Especially between runs.

I wear my west under the dry suite. Warmer and it is dry when I am done.

I have several wetsuits and a 1mm hoodshorty. I add the extra layer to stay warm enough.

We usually get some snow while skiing in November or in March. I can stand it but I don't like it.

Yes I have tried the mono ski.

Look for the annual monoski meetings.

You might be able to test one....

Peter from Stockholm

By monoski, do you mean an alpine board? If so, you'll find the simiarities much like wakeboarding and snowboarding. These main differences stem from being pulled behind a boat horizontal to gravity to leaning into it and being assisted by gravity down the mountain. It's fun, but don't think the two help one another.

As far as winter training, yeah, skiing, snowboarding, X Country Skiing, indoor soccer and hitting the gym (been weak on that though lately). Try to vary things makes me look forward to the coming season whatever it might be. Boat maintenance is another time occupier.

@burdhntr Yes something like this:

ux4o2g4iea1d.jpg

But i guess you are right, its not the same...it also looks quite deadly :)

@gsm_peter I will try the nurse gloves next time!

What drysuit do you use? I have been looking at the "Baseextreme" at skimarine.se but i have not decided yet.

Do you use neoprenesock in the front binding as well?

• Baller

I use the Base dry suite from Skimarin.

They use the top of line zipper in that suite.

I recomend their 2/3 mm semi dry also.

Top quality and great price.

I have dbl Profile boots.

Yes 2 or 3 mm socs on both feets.

2 is ok. I can only ski 10 minutes with 3mm.

Have you seen the old 70ths mono skis?

Single slalom ski with a centre platform for the boots...

I have one of those as well....

• Baller
@ErikBerghiller The suits looks good and warm. In an earlier post you said you will try wearing the 5mm neoprene shoe in your rear boot. Have you tried to see if it will fit into the boot yet? Do you have something else to wear on your foot for your front boot?

• Baller

We took advantage of the late freeze last year and skied on Xmas eve.

* Shower or cooler w/ hot water for feet and hands, both before and after skiing.

* Drysuit w/ vest underneath along w/ fleece.

* Diving hood.

* Plastic bag on both feet. Neoprene bootie for rear kicker.

* PRAY you don't miss your start when you're not used to a drysuit and freezing water.

6e8pp6d4e049.jpg

• Baller

The lake south that is warmer had too much silt from run off so we went north to the high lakes. It was a little viking out there! You could see the snow run off entering the lake. My daughter and I got in though. Though our wetsuits kept us warm, my feet got an ice cream headache at the launch while I was futzing in the water.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/BoatBoating/25304BDD-DB17-4C4F-8A10-925B68A894C9_zpstawcaie6.jpg~originalhttp://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/sunvalleylaw/BoatBoating/294FEB93-91AC-4EA8-BF01-CF9DA18E4E18_zps9ln6zn1n.jpg~original

• Baller
I'll say that's one really nice thing about the double Vapor binding setup. Feet stay relatively warm. We dump piping hot water into our boots on the platform right before jumping in. Same with gloves. It's pretty remarkable how warm your feet will stay for several minutes doing that. When you take your ski off and your feet hit the actual water temp, it's a bit shocking.

• Baller

My better half one upped the crew this past weekend. Water 56F, I skied in drysuit and the kids went for a tube ride. Ammy's been dying to try her new ski so she jumped in with only trunks and jacket. Didn't give up after a couple false starts so all in all she was in the water for a while.

Typically anything under 70F is chilly for her.

• Baller

vljq107k369h.jpg

9bgv147iz3qp.jpg

0dpkmg6zrvyv.jpg

zeodmkn1z4dy.jpg

New journal entry. Fathers' Day weekend, 2018. Pretty viking weather this trip. Skiing was good though! We got our runs in between squalls, and before the inclement weather set in long run. Hopefully, warmer ski days are coming. PS, I am the guy in the goofy sun hat.