1991 Sport Nautique

Ski_Dad

• Baller

I currently have a Bayliner with outboard - I free ski at 30 mph. The wake is not hard but it's medium high and wide. Would this Nautique Sport boat be a big improvement ? I realize it's not going to be like a newer boat but the price is nice and looks to be in good condition.

Friends boats I've skied behind so far in the last few years...

1994 Prostar 205

1999 Nautique Air

2004 Prostar 197

2011 Nautique 200

• Baller_
The 1991 will have wood stingers in it. That can be concerning even if it looks good. If you can find anything 1997 and above, you will never really feel the need to upgrade to a newer boat as those wakes go toe to toe with modern boats.

• Baller
At 30 mph even a pure slalom boat of that age isn't going to be a great wake, much less a cross over. My boat is an 18' sea ray bow rider....I have skied behind a number of friends ski boats that range from mid 90s to within just a couple years old, I wouldn't say you are really going to get a significantly better wake till you get into a ski boat post 2010. There are other reasons that a ski boat would be advantageous though. Tracking, speed control, power to name a couple.

• Baller_

The 94 Prostar 205 was based on the 92-94 190. The later 205 was based on the 95-97 190. I had the 2000 Prostar 205. Still a good wake and probably a little better in rougher water than the 94 205.

My real recommendation:

Get the 94 205. Don't use it in rough water. Buy a pontoon for cruising.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Don't buy a boat purely based on wake or the speed you ski. Buy the boat that fits your needs. Most any of the inboards boats will have a fine wake.

What are your skiing goals? Do you want to keep free skiing or are you looking to run a course and work up that ladder? Answering that will make the choices clearer.

It's hard for some of the purest's here to get out of the "I run on private water at 38 off" mentality. Not everyone needs Carbon Pro wakes.

• Baller
Dang, I got a dislike @BrennanKMN HA. I'm actually surprised i haven't gotten more dislike/disagres for my previous comment. But, he's in a similar situation that I am. I have had this 18' sea ray bow rider for a couple years now, and as I get better skiing I often contemplate whether I should try to squeeze out money for a ski boat. I would certainly like to, but how much would that cost me to get something that would really be THAT MUCH BETTER for me... Then, how well would it do some of the other things we do with the boat...like spending a weekend at the coast cruising the rougher waters of the intracoastal and even out into the Gulf of mexico. I know i look a little silly running the course in my little bow rider, but the money it would take to get something that actually has a BETTER wake would be considerable. I do ski behind a few friends ski boats ranging from mid 90s on up, and even the 2006-2008 nautiques I've been behind don't necessarily have BETTER wakes at 28-30mpg than my bow rider. The only time I have really experienced that much better of a ride than my bow rider is behind a pretty new ski boat, generally when taking lessons, and the experience is CONSIDERABLY better....but I'm not in a place to invest in a ski boat that new. So for now I'll stick with my SeaRay and get out to the ski schools as often as I can.

• Baller

Thanks guys.

I ski 2 days per week during the 6 month season up north. I'm drawn to the SN Sports, the Malibu Sunnsetters, MC Maristars and similar boats. I even considered a Centurion V Drive. Trying to keep the wife happy is the main goal. Space is a big deal too. If it was just me I would have something different but we don't just ski - I have teens and below and that means tubing sometimes. And at least 50% of the time I ski I have to deal with rollers. If they get too bad my wife will not pull me.

My budget is 15k and under - this boat I mentioned could be had for 1/2 that - I'm somewhat of a minimalist and don't like payments.

my main question is will the sport be a good improvement for me - I realize it won't be a SN 200.

I know I'm the odd ball on this site - but I probably won't be running the course very often. I am going to ski school in a few weeks though.

@Mitzysman - I have to disagree with all the comments that the Sport Nautique has a bad slalom wake. I run 35' off now and used to own a 93 open bow Sport Nautique and loved free skiing with that boat. I could free ski solid thru 39.5 off, boat spray and trough dipped to much to ski 41'. Great boat for the price. The newer 196 version is a better slalom boat, but for the price and just Rec level you cant go wrong with the Sport Nautique

• Baller_
@Beastmode the gentleman is talking about a 91, totally different boat then the 93. the 93 was the first year of composite stringers and floor for Correct Craft. keep it light it does ski well. the 91 has a bottom similar to the barefoot as it is a "V" bottom boat. the 93 Sport is an offshoot of the Ski Nautique and has a very similar wetted surface as the SN of the same generation.

• Baller
I would go for the SNOB or sports after 93. Plenty of room and rides better than an older Prostar. I am sure a V-drive would suit you just fine, but they definitely are not ski boats, but have the room you are looking for. SIA and onlyinboards is your friend. My advice, pay a little more and get the boat you will be happy with, don't settle for another boat just because it is cheaper. This will be better in the long run. There are some nice boats for great prices.

• Baller

@jhughes @6balls - My Wife says I can up my budget - so I think I will zero in on a Sunnsetter. I really like the look and room, etc. What models have the Diamond hull ? I'm guessing the SV23 wake hull is not as good right ? Is 97 or 98 OK or do I need the 99 and above ? How can I spot the diamond hull ?

@oldjeep I think I would tow from the rear most times - I know its not ideal but when I have 5-7 on board i think that is the best option. Although I do agree the v-drives have a nice layout! Haven't ruled those out but I have only skied behind one of them and the wake was worse than my Bayliner - but I know the VTX is supposed to a good one - but way out of my budget.

@skibrain - on my bayliner I have tried full, 5 off and 15 off - 15 off is the best - i want to try 22 off this coming year but I need a different rope. The wake doesn't flatten out any more past 32 mph (I know it's weird) - my friend said the same thing - he said 32 was better than 34 behind my boat

• Baller

@Mitzysman I assume you have played with the trim. On my I/O I trim all the way down for up to 30 mph for best ski wake, above that I trim up a little as it gets bogged down. I know outboards that seem to trim farther down than mine....it works best trimmed up a little.

I usually do ski at 15 off, but my wake definitely gets better at 22 off, haven't tried shorter. I can't remember the last time I skied anything longer than 15off, as Im sure most everyone on here (if even that.) Get a decent sectioned rope and go ahead and take off the 15' section.

MasterLine 5 section rope

• Baller
Hi Mark, the carbon pro would be too small for us with no open bow. I would reluctantly spend up to 25k but would rather spend 10-20. I'm a minimalist to certain degree - don't have any car payments or boat payments right now and i find it hard to pull the trigger... but my wife keeps saying my boys won't be with me forever - 15, 13, and 9. Dream boat would be a new 20' Dyna-Ski with a 200 Outboard.

• Baller
If you really want to stay in budget, you can get a good, dependable $10-20k ski/wakeboard boat if you shop right and are patient. I think EFI is nice to have, and $15 to $20K should get you into a reasonable hour boat with EFI and with a good interior from the late 90s to early 2000s if you look hard and are willing to travel a bit.

• Baller

I don't know if it fits the bill for your seating requirements, but I remember when I was shopping for my 196 two years ago that there were a few 206s I ran across under 20K. I think that boat was released in MY 04 so it'll be newer, which is nice to keep the wrenching down to a minimum.

Just thought I'd throw out another option for you...

• Baller

@Fast351 that 206 is definitely another option I'm looking at. Do they do any better than others on open water ? I wish I could get out at 6 am (i do once in a while at a distant lake) but our closest lake opens at 10 AM and closes at 7 PM and I ski most times there- kinda sucks. Getting the impression that all ski boats are going to beat me up.

I'm a 15 or 22 off skier at 30 mph right now - have young boys that ski around 26

PS - i did find a nice 2003 Sunsetter that I'm going to check out at the end of the month when they pull it out of storage

I'm a 15 or 22 off skier at 30 mph right now

• Baller

@6balls - i like those Sangers too - don't see much of them out east. But I'll look around. Another option I've seen is the 90's Hydrodyne direct drives - the seem to have medium v too. I know alot of them were wood but I ran into a 97 model that is composite. It looks different from the Grand Sports i've seen - almost looks like another brand - https://fortwayne.craigslist.org/boa/5944900888.html

@Rivvy - Thanks for the offer - I might consider it if I can't find anything up here. I'm suppose to look at a 2003 SS LXI in about 3 weeks when a guy 2 hours from me gets it out of storage. Similar price but no tower. It has a LS1 corvette engine in it - certainly don't need that much power - don't know if that engine is a plus or a minus.

• Baller
@wish agree given the motor and all composite. Sangers will have wood stringers...if cared for no biggie but if not can be a biggie. I have a couple of boats, one is an old Centurion with wood stringers, floor, seat bases...solid as a rock but been babied.

• Baller

@Mitzysman....just to clarify a couple of questions you had in an earlier post:

The original SV23 hull only became named the SV23 Wake Hull when wakeboarding became so popular. It's still a very capable skiing hull in direct drive configuration. That would be found on the Echelon and Response boats up to 1997, as well as the Sunsetter LX starting in 1995. In 1998 the Response and the Echelons produced that year got the diamond version of the SV23 hull...at least my 98 Echelon has it, though literature will say it's not the diamond hull on the Echelon that year. The Sunsetter LXI you would be interested was produced only through 1999-2004. I've skied two of those boats in the slalom course and it's simply amazing how well they ski for such a big boat.

Here is a pic of the diamond hull from my 98 Echelon. It's basically just the sharp, downward turn of the outside chine. The non-diamond hull is pretty much rounded right there.

eaiibw46fdth.jpg