Public lake sites

Jack_Haase

• Baller

I think I am pretty lucky with the public water I have access to. It is not private water nice, but it is about as close as I think I could ever get around here.

Even if I had access to private water, unless it was closer to me or offered some other great advantage at the time (wind direction, sun, boat, etc) I'd probably stick with the public water.

There is something really awesome about turning some balls while a young family launches their boat and drives by slow to watch. I always hope I can inspire a future skier. It's a lot harder to do that on private water.

• Baller_

We have two courses on Deerpoint Lake here in bay county. The back course is east -west and is superb conditions wise most of the time though the course is currently way to easy.

Another up in Washington county sports very easy access though can be hit and mis on the weekends due to wake traffic.

Another is installed over on a salt water lake in west bay that gets some usage. If you like back water swamp scenery then Florida Has numerous amazing skiing public courses..

There is a push by our sanction body to urge private lake owners and private clubs to allow more accesses to the general skiing community. will se how that works out..

Unlike our southern neighbors, if you live in Canada, it is extremely unlikely that your course is on a private lake. Environmental restrictions make it very difficult to build a private lake and we have so many fresh water lakes that to any government agency, any application seems absurd.

Having said that, where I live in southern BC, Kelowna to be precise, we have two groups of avid course skiers. One group of about a dozen skiers has two courses set at each end of a small lake with restricted access close to the city . The other group that I belong to with about 14 skiers, prefers to drive two hours on weekends to a more remote chain of three lakes where we have installed two courses at each end of the first lake and two more at each end of the second lake. Not only is the setting pristine, there is almost no boat traffic and the gods are kind enough to provide glass water, the equal of any private lake on more than one of the courses 90% of the time. Barring a major storm, it's unheard of to get skunked over the span of an entire day.

"Amazing", simply doesn't do justice to where we ski. It was also Andy's sentiment when we had him up here to coach us about five years ago. So if you're a baller with the travel bug, let me know when you're planning to be in beautiful BC.

• Baller
@Jody_Seal I'm open to inclusion of the general skiing community. Always have been, however there are bills to pay, liability to be considered. I would suppose that the only way we could include everyone would be for them to become members and then they wouldn't be the "general skiing community" anymore. So, I guess I'm open to new members. With current dues paying members, I couldn't just allow freebies for any extended period.

Dawn patrol on our course on good old Lake Springfield can be pretty great. Of course, anytime after 10 a.m. and we get too many rollers. The lake has let shore owners install metal seawalls and the kick back is just awful - one boat going by perpendicular to the course and we are hosed. And we get to replace quite a few balls. But when its good its very good.

• Baller
My club course is on a public lake, but the course is completely surrounded by thick Lilly pads. The turn balls themselves are cut into the pads with just enough room for the skier to turn. The pads for the most part keep the rest of the public out of our course and the pads almost completely eliminate rollers from boat and jet ski traffic. It is awesome.

• Baller
All our course skiing is on public lakes. The one my brother inlaw is on has a nice setup. Turn at the far end is tight and in the lilly pads, other end is wide open with plenty of space to line up and wait your turn. The other course is on a big lake, running between a small island and shore. Decent when there is no other boat traffic.

• Baller

I hope that you guys with courses on public water know how lucky you are. Two years ago myself and four others put a course in a very nice cove on the river. We skied it that day and the next Saturday. Then two weeks later someone cut every buoy line. It was a ton of work and $ gone.

The anchors and sub buoys are still there but we set the subs so deep to account for the tide that they are almost impossible to find. Also there is no reason to rebuild it and have it destroyed again.

• Baller
@Bill22 lucky in more ways than one! I've gone through vandalism on public courses for one, and number two if I had access to a course on public water (close by) I wouldn't be into a private site for hundreds of thousands.

• Baller
@LeonL I know you gotta pay if you want to play. I know someone is maintaining those courses on public water. My point is, if five to ten guys/gals are all using and sharing the maintenance of an established public course that would be awesome.

• Baller
Here in the finger lakes of western new york, we have several sites and portable courses scattered about. We choose a spot based on the wind and local fishing tournament schedule. In all cases, the same formula works.... plan the night before, put in at dark, and ski at sunrise. We usually get a couple hours before packing up and gone. When you can't get to the private lakes, portables are a good option for public water. With a few regulars, you can set in about 20 minutes and pack in about 30 minutes.

• Baller
As I sit here in Northern New York 20 miles from the Canadian Border, I can think of 10 slalom courses within 25 miles of my house all on Public water. If I expand that distance to 75 miles I can think of 7 more! I'm sure there are more that I don't know about! A few years ago a few friends and I attempted to ski at as many of those locations as we could in 24 hours. It was a great time!

• Baller
I very, very rarely actually crash into the pads. But it does suck when it happens. Also, something in the water really inflames my allergies. The upside is, the pads suck up rollers like a black hole and keep most of the wallies out. The water stays flat even in pretty heavy winds and even when there is very heavy outer-lake traffic.

• Baller
@uwskier, I actually don't know. I am not aware of having to cut it back since I started skiing there, other than occasionally we will just drive the boat around the turn buoys if the pads start encroaching. I think the boat and ski traffic keeps it in check. There are three or four club members who live right next to the course on the lake, and I am not sure if they do anything to keep the path clear in the off season or not. The pads disappear in the winter and when they come back in the spring, they do not come up in the way of the boat path or turn buoys.

• Baller

Meant to post this one up, too. What a great view approaching the course at sunrise! Looks like if you fell in the wrong spot you just might fall off the end of the world.

svgnkiid2skc.jpg