How can we make waterski tournaments inviting and more fun?

Beastmode

I serve on the board for the Capital Area Waterski club in Austin Texas and we have been discussing how we can make Waterski Tournaments more fun to be at and for spectators to watch.

I think this is a great place to get feed back as most, but not all, Ballers are tournament skiers.

What are the pros and cons of tournament sites you have been to?

For myself the tournaments I liked the best were because of the social aspect. Everyone being super friendly, After-parties, or

a big group from the tournament going out to eat together after the tournament. As for the tournaments being more fun during the tournament that is a hard thing to answer.

Looking for suggestions and feedback

• Baller
Tournaments need to feel more like a day at the lake, a bunch of people hanging out, having a good time, and taking turns driving and hitting the water, maybe playing some tailgate games on shore. The most fun tournaments I've attended are collegiate tournaments where everyone is just having a good time hanging around with each other on the water.

• Baller

A volleyball court and a food truck are a great start. Maybe a local band in the afternoon. It would entertain the non-skiing spouses. In the Austin area, it shouldn't be hard to get a food truck to come out. Offer the exclusive rights, just to see if that helps. That is the only part that may be hard, in the beginning, until you can get enough turnout to make it worth their time.

I don't know how big your tournaments are,but ours would be a small lunch for a truck.

I really think varying the experience, through music, food, games (volleyball or something equally engaging) is the way to keep the fun going for all attending

• Baller
One of the biggest things that I feel is missing from most tournament's is an announcer. When friends show up to tournament's and I can't tell them who is skiing or the line length/speed it is very hard to explain the rest of the sport. Then from there you can expand it. I think it would be fun if every skier got to pick a song that played when it was their turn. Skier bio stuff is always fun too.

• Baller
If anyone went to Nationals to ski or watch them at Broadside last year, then that's the way an event should be no matter where you go. Great staff, fun, great people and vendors, and just an all round great event to be be at! Another thing I notice is that people are there to compete, I get it, but we can't forget to have fun while we are doing the sport we love. I think too many people lose sight when they do crappy and then are like a whiny little girl be around after that. Waterski events are a blast to be at!

• Baller_
When my son has been a spectator at some tournaments, he wants to do one thing: swim. And, for those locations that have a boathouse you can jump from into the water, even better. I've had trouble getting him to leave after it was over.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
We got to pick our music track at a bench press tourney once...it was cool but didn't make or break the whole deal. Nicely additive, though...As Hanz and Franz would say from SNL long ago...it was helpful to achieve the proper "pumpitude".

• Baller

@RazorRoss3 - While many collegiate skiers also serve as judges, most of the officials are adults who are volunteering their time, but not skiing at the event. Therefore, most of the skiers are not working the tournament. They have complete freedom to hang out and have fun between their ski rounds/events.

I have often wondered how we could bring that freedom to AWSA tournaments. One idea was a two day tournament with two teams of officials. On Day One, Team One officials do not ski but only work for the other skiers. On Day Two, Team Two officials (who skied on day one) work while the officials from day one get to just ski.

I have gone to tournaments where I was not scheduled to work, but found myself feeling guilty for just enjoying the day. That is just sad. Ski officials never get a "day off" tournament. Many work every tournament they attend. In some cases, I have even heard comments like, "everyone who skis should contribute by working/helping in some way." I kind of disagree. I think it would be better to plan ahead and solicit specific assignments so that other officials who attend can take the day off and just ski and socialize. Maybe the ideal goal is to work every 2 out of 3 events attended. If everyone pursued that goal, then those officials at their "3rd" event would no longer feel guilty for enjoying their ski-only/play-only day.

• Baller
@ToddL, the Midwest is a little different. When there are 200 skiers at the event you can usually get drivers, judges, and scorers. Your Cheif officials are usually volunteers but we usually had an officials ski at the end and based in my alumni volunteer exeprience those scores go down in the books for officials as tourney rounds.

• Baller

For spectators (and my own enjoyment) I am a fan of a good announcer (with a good PA system...). Would you go to a football/baseball/basketball (college level or greater) that didn't have an announcer? Second: Look real hard at format. For the average spectator (non-tournament skier) our standard format and rules are a little confusing and not exciting to watch. I really like head-to-head. HtH is the only time my wife will come watch me ski.

For a multi round tournament with spectators I have always thought a cumulative scoring system would be fun. Rather than best score out of 3 rounds, best cumulative score of 3 rounds. Re-seed each round with placing from previous round. The Nationals Final Rodeo uses this type of scoring format and they are rather successful at drawing spectators.

One big difference from my collegiate experience to non-collegiate experience is a central congregation area. Most of the recent tournaments i have been to before/after skiing skiers are either working the tournament or hanging out at their RV/Camper/Tent area. It's really hard to be social when your 1000' apart. Things like tailgate games, food trucks, concert, maybe seating, etc. I think could go a long way towards getting those not skiing/working at that time to socialize.

• Baller
Show skiing is a team sport (like collegiate skiing). The team practice, getting on the water, having coaching, access to equipment, and the ability to try and learn pretty much anything you want. I've never show skied but lets face it, a better introduction to towed water sports would be hard to come by outside of growing up on private water. I'm not surprised they are still growing.

• Baller

A few years ago I was asking the same question, people were there just to get a ranking score . There was no competition at all so I made one on my own , a simple whoever scores the highest over their awsa average that day gets the trophy. I found the biggest one I could buy , it stays with the winner till the next tournament in West Michigan. I think we have 8 or 9 that are eligable tournaments to win it at.

The very first tournament we did a boys slalom skier won it , it hooked him good on slalom tournaments, not sure if he missed one since . He also placed 6th at nationals last year, coincidence I like to think not...

Here's @MISkier winning it a few years ago.

This year I ordered the smallest trophy you can buy that says "first loser " on it for the person that is second, it just adds a little bit of fun.

It is extremely hard to win the trophy when you ski that many tournaments in a year because your average is on your top 3 scores and to be eleigable to win you must have at least 3 scores.

The biggest thing I like is the social aspect of a tournament , after it is done we always have food and beverages and great conversation.

• Baller_

I'll agree with @kurt that the side competition adds a lot to the fun. During the tournament, there is a lot of talk on the dock about who is in the lead and what the next skier needs to do to win. People are more engaged with something on the line that everybody has a chance to win.

We are fortunate to have a great group to ski with. It's truly enjoyable to attend and each time it seems to end too soon.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
As a rip off of @Horton with the highly entertaining BOS tournaments, a good side competition might be at any given tournament so have a handicapped everyone against there average style competition, winner gets double their entry fee. Sure it's a small amount, at a class C it might only be a $50 pay out but it is also likely to go to a relatively new skier since they are the ones who can pull out a 6 or 7 buoy surprise on a good day. As said above, that little bit of side competition might keep people a little more engaged.

• Baller

@oldjeep I feel the same way.

This past summer I wanted to go to a few 'local' tournaments as a spectator, but the idea of a hour drive and killing a Saturday ruled it out for me.

I'd love to go and watch and possibly participate in more tournaments but I just don't have the time for it. It's really hard for me to justify it when I can go get in my weekend skiing Saturday AM and be home by 10 to get all the crap done around the house.

• Baller

I've put together two tournaments that skiers can qualify for extra skiing. People really like the incentive to ski more. This summer I intend on doing the following on June 23. 32-36 skiers get three rounds, skiers will be grouped by age in some cases and ability in others. Twelve skiers will advance to a runoff round to qualify for a four skier head to head finals. We play music and have an announcer on site.

@BrennanKMN Center City will be hosting the Midwest Regional Championships will at the end of July. It's a fantastic tournament for spectating. You'll see some of the best skiers in the region battling for a spot on the podium. Plus, Nate Smith and Dane Mechler will be there. It's worth an hour drive to see them ski!

@BrennanKMN with all due respect, based on your comments above I wouldn't put you in the "competitor" camp. Either you want to go to a tournament and compete (whether against other skiers or your score on the ranking list or whatever) or you don't. If you did, finding the time on Saturday becomes much less of an issue.

That said, your desire to ski and whether you enjoy it or not is completely separate from whether you really want to "go to a tournament". If there was a way to enter your practice score into the ranking list (see the Rankings vs. Ratings thread) then you might find more value to being a member of USAWS/AWSA. You might even catch that bug and want to try a tournament or two. Either way, you might be able to expand your participation.

Please don't take my comments as a knock on your or how you enjoy waterskiing. I fully respect that it works for you and that's how you maximize your enjoyment! I'm just suggesting a potentially way to involve others who are currently on the fringes or not involved because tournaments are your primary driver.

• Baller
I honestly don't know too much about the tournament scene. I ski a course as much as possible, but primarily ski open water on our local river. A fun tournament for me would be getting in practice sets in the morning, perhaps with some good ballers providing some coaching. Then do an afternoon tournament event, when I'm warmed up and back in the course groove. Basically a novice event. I think there are a lot of dudes like me, who have tournament boats, love to ski, are pretty good, but aren't on private water to get the reps we'd need to be competitive. People like me also aren't yet into fin whispering and tweaking every ZO setting until we drive ourselves crazy. We may get there someday, and a no-pressure novice tournament would be a good start. If a private Lake group hosted such an event, my family and I would be there in a heart beat. I'd even be happy to provide my own boat.

• Baller

@swc5150 that idea was also brought up by @buski. I think it is a brilliant idea. I hope it doesn't go unnoticed. I envision a tournament where you join Awsa and pay your sanction fee but instead of skiing 1 round for a score you go to a separate lake and get to ski 4 passes with a "coach" who is just a veteran at tournament. Could be technique or questions regarding how tournament's work. In return the coach and driver get credit as if they had worked the real tournament. Win win for everyone.

Most sites around here offer practice the Friday afternoon before tournaments. It's generally $10 for 4 passes. It is never really marketed except in the description of the tournament in the guide. The only people that know about it are already going to ski the tournament....

• Baller

@klindy I think you are dead on. I really don't have much competitive drive in water skiing outside of beating my own personal bests at the moment. All things I can do outside of a tournament.

I think you are right though. If I had my name on a list of skiers I am sure that'd be a pretty big drive to improve. Right now I have no idea where I stand and as a result I don't have much drive to constantly push that.

I am sure a big part of it too is that the 6 or so guys I ski with regularly no longer ski tournaments. I don't have anyone around me pushing me into it.

@swc5150 You nailed my exact feelings. Having an event with a warm up morning and a competitive afternoon would be awesome.