Where to ski in Wichita KS

aupatking

• Baller

I've been out here almost all of January and from what I've seen, everything that holds water on the west side of town, has a slalom course. I'll be out here on and off through May.

Is there anyone on here that can set me up with a ride, once the weather gets warm?

From the only place I've actually been to, so far, Mystic Waters, it's the nicest site I've ever seen, but I have seen at least 4 other sites with courses on the map.

• Baller

I looked at google earth once hearing that Nat's was at mystic...man lots of little puddles all over the place near there. Wondered what the skiing scene is like.

Geez look at that joint just south of 96 near the intersection of N55th. South end of it is two course set ups with turn around islands. There is just one gorgeous house on the peninsula and a big beach/boat house area cut out as well. Other part appears may still be active quarry. What a sweet place to live.

• Baller

We Tour-ed there in 1986--1989. First 3 on the downtown Arkansas River. 1986 event

was pretty much blown out by the constant South wind. Only one slalomer made a full

pass in the whole event. The head-on-head Finals was won with a score of one buoy.

Went upstream around a bend, and had great conditions for Tour Finals 1988. Next year,

the same location was hit with a 3+ mph incessant current. Site had to be moved over-

night to a nearby lake. Fun? times.

Will be interesting to see if the wind poses a problem at the 2017 Nationals. Per Google

Earth, the 2 lakes run East-West, so a South wind would be a crosswind. And, a cross-

tailwind for jumping, the way it's set up. Big turn island at the East end could be a problem

on long jumps (190+). About 128 meters ramp takeoff edge to turn island.

Mystic Lakes on Google Earth:

j4t0yet42zqu.jpg

• Baller

@aupatking

I'd be glad to pull you anytime.

My new response txi gets here mid march so anytime after that and the water warms up.

I'm a few miles south of Mystic but I'm a member at mystic.

It takes a lot of wind to make mystic unskiable. Most of the courses you see are individuals that don't compete. We have two sites here that hold tournaments and they bit ski incredible.

Matt

Hey everyone! My names Dillon Dunshee and I waterski for Arizona State University. I will be interning at Textron Aviation in Witchita over the summer. Would love to get some practice time on the water. Any information on lakes or anyone I could ski with would be awesome! My Number is (206) 595-8129, and again I greatly appreciate any info or help a collegiate skier can get!!

Cheers,

Dillon Dunshee