Best boot to replace the Approach Binding

ellenm

I've been on an HO Approach binding and it's getting old. I love the forward leaning position on it and want to find a replacement that is close. I tried the Reflex last year for at least 6 weeks and couldn't make it work. Any ideas on a good transitional boot?

• Baller

Concur - Double Approaches were the bomb on the Monza!

IMO try:

1.) Radar Vapors

2.) Radar Vector/Lyrics (most cost-effective)

3.) D3 T-factors.

Have tried all, they don't have the inherent dorsi-flexion as the Approaches but probably the next best thing with regard to ankle flexion and the easiest transition.

Demoing would be best if possible.

• Administrators
@AdamCord The difference is that Approach was basically unreleasable and the Radar (RS1, Strada, Vapor, etc) boots release as long as you are do not over tighten the top lace.

• Baller
@ellenm, I think the FM is a good transitional boot, and the one I used to switch from rubber or soft bindings to hard shell. My transition was Approach -> RS1 -> FM E-series (only front biding, I use a kicker). If you only use one cuff buckle and bungee cord, together with the thicker liner, you should not feel the ski as "nervous" as you probably felt it with the Reflex.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
@ellenm make sure whatever you go to you make sure new binding is in stock position for your ski NOT the position of your Approach! My experience was going from Approach the binding was a lot further back on the ski to where My FM e series ended up. i.e. FM's where almost 10mm further forward on the same ski

10 years on approach, last year I changed ski to V-type R (from Monza) but not the boots (not too much at once).

Yesterday I put on Radar Vapor's (double boots). 2 sets and skied immediately better at all runs ! Far more feel, angel and control.

For me perfect transition.......just take you time to perfectly match your current boot setup (took me 2 hours off fiddling, measuring, tape, etc.....). So I matched the Approach bindings setup as close as possible.

• Baller

@ellenm From customers coming in the shop.....seems like most have either moved on to D3 T-Factor boots or Radar Vapor boots....if we can help let us know.

Here are links:

http://www.perfski.com/d3-t-factor-boot223

http://www.perfski.com/radar-2017-left-carbitex-vapor-boot1

http://www.perfski.com/radar-2017-right-carbitex-vapor-boot14

Bill @ Performance.

I went with the HO hardshell and love it. Took me about 5 sets and am running my challenge pass (32 off) almost every set now. It pre-released early 2 or 3 days ago, so I tightened it just a bit (now between 3 and 4). It was originally set on 3. Almost tied my PB (4@35 off) 2 days ago, so I think it will work.

• Baller
I was in HO high wrap boots and then Animals for over 20 years. I really like their performance but decided to make a change and have a pair of Radar Carbitex boots being delivered any day now.