What % of your interest in USAWS / AWSA is based on competition

Horton

• Baller
The main motivating reason for me to join is so I can go do a comp at some point. But, other benefits do interest me. I am still trying to learn about any watersports/boating advocacy efforts in terms of retaining water access, etc. The insurance I suppose is ok, but I am fully insured as is. Not really a motivating reason. Other benis such as access to training/instruction and the advocacy to preserve access to the sport would be more important. In addition to fun comps.

• Baller

That's tough to answer.

1. For me, originally, the only reason to join was so I could compete.

2. I travel all over the country and, as long as I have my AWSA number, a lot of people let me ski as their guest. They and their site are covered through sanctioned practice. (This does not have to be insured through AWSA)

3. I'm working on starting a club, so we can extend that same courtesy, and also cover ourselves for practice, as well as one day hold an event (This, as well, does not have to be insured through AWSA)

I know there are other avenues for insurance, and some may be cheaper, but the ability to do it all through AWSA is, at minimum, appealing. I'm certain once I've delved deep enough into this club/lake deal, I'll have a better grasp on exactly what the pros and cons are, and the guys that have been doing this for years who's eyes are bleeding, reading this can say, I told you so!

• Baller
@WBLskier that is correct, and there are a few requirements to meet if it's sanctioned practice. I got hurt at Nationals a few years back and my out of pocket was zero. Buddy of mine got hurt during sanctioned practice last year and it seems the insurance will cover his out of pocket as well. Not bad supplemental coverage for $80/year. If you do this long enough you'll most likely get hurt at some point.

• Baller

Love the print magazine, plan my summer around the print Regional Guide and get satisfaction from the organization of the sport I enjoy.

The insurance is a pain as places try to make every practice "official" and limit who skis, who drives and what gets done. Sucks the fun and spontaneity out of a ski day.

But it's really all about the competition.

Eric

• Baller
Have to qualify that a bit in that insurance is important as far as coverage for tournaments. The very first club I was in, a long time ago on water far away, pretty much disbanded as we didn't have/couldn't get liability insurance. Public water but couldn't get access without insurance.

• Baller
@ski6jones , consider yourself lucky, over 28 years as a member I was lucky enough to have the supplemental insurance cover 1 injury for myself and my family (after a very extensive nightmare of paperwork). This is after incurring more injuries than I care to think about.

• Baller
So a question to the question @Jody_Seal asked. Isn't the secondary insurance provided at tournaments and sanctioned practice an adder on insurance USAWS/AWSA already has as the sanctioning body? I would think they would need liability insurance at least to protect against law suits originating through tournament activities, etc.

• Baller

The insurance is what drove me away from AWSA way back in 1986(?) when they first started requiring it as part of the membership. I was very put off by it, believing that the Association (an affinity group - there is something to @The_Krista 's idea!) had turned into a business that was intent on selling me insurance I didn't want. I relented and paid for a year in 1991 because I had this idea I was going to ski one tournament in each age division (although I never came back for Men 3 or 4). I had the desire to ski with old friends and compete again when I got to Men 5 a few years ago, so here I am. The cost of membership today compared to what it was back then without insurance is fairly close comparing 1986 to 2016 dollars, but it still irks me...

If insurance is required by the organization as a requirement for its existence, great, include the cost in everyone's membership as a natural component of what is required to sustain the organization. If USAWS wants to sell optional supplemental insurance that might benefit me, fine - just don't tell me I am required to buy insurance through the organization.

• Administrators
@JeffSurdej i think a lot of your questions are answered here. I believe AWSA is 95% about the tournament days. That is where the skiing happens, the social happens and where the competition happens. I don't think most of us care if we are members or not until that first tournament weekend of the year.

• Baller
@elr Hmmm, a dislike for that? I could see a disagree maybe, but a dislike? So come on dude, post your opinion! Why the dislike? Step up and join the conversation, all perspectives represented make the conversation stronger.

• Baller
There's benefits to the program if you do more than just compete. As someone mentioned above they are covered for practice sets and other things. I don't get any other insurance through them like boat liability but I still pay my fees and I'm not much of a competitor.