Ski Nautique 196 2005 what to check?

ErikBerghiller

Hi!

This Friday i was at a shop looking at a Ski Nautique 196 2005 with a Excalibur 330 engine that is for sale. Overall good condition, one owner boat (club) with just over 1000 hours on it, good maintainance log. I just wonder if there is anything to be extra cautious about, any weak links on the 2005 that I have to check before placing a bid?

w6tdkn822uma.jpg

Thanks!

• Baller
Once again a great question for @Jody_Seal. Get a computer report if you can to see how it was ran, 1000 hours is high, but if taken care of it will last you a long time. That trailer...... looks like a '80's trailer so might want to have everything checked on it. Or spend the $3K and have one made.

• Baller
We have a 2007 with similar hours. Rock solid boat. The only thing we have replaced are the transom seat pads. Dried and cracked. Also replaced the black sano pad on transom, gunwhales, and glove box, with Seadek. Much easier on the knees! If compression in the cylinders is close to one another, buy it and enjoy!

Trailers are 3k at COST any dealer will be charging you 4500 and up for a new one. Hours never scared me, as long as maintained. we see several with almost 2000 hours. A lot of of late night cruising etc. check the strut bearing, packing on rudder and driveshaft. How has it been winterized? All the freeze plugs original? Are there rust trails on the manifold from leaking risers? Could take it to a scale to see if the in floor foam is soaked. Is the steering cable original? It's nearing its life span at that age. Can't think of much else at this point. Looks like a sharp boat! Good luck and test drive it!

• Baller
Take a look at the paint on the engine to see if it is discolored from ever being overheated. Other than that should be a solid boat. 1,000 hours on a twelve year old boat is low, and shows steady, continuous use, which in my opinion is much better than a boat used once or twice a years and just setting the rest of the time. The trailer does look a little odd to me as well. +1 on getting a Diacom report run. This will tell you how it was used and if there are any trouble codes.

@34mph:Thanks but i think I start with trying to put it on my Challenger trailer and see if it fits better, its longer and its possible to adjust the angle on the beds. Have not decided if I should buy it or not yet... just checked in on the Challenger at my neighbours and i really love that boat! :) Its hard to get that feeling about this new one...maybe it is to new for me, some how boats from the -80s have more soul... <3 Sure they lean, consume lots of fuel and you have to maintain the crap out of them to keep them running but still...

@34mph:Thanks but i think I start with trying to put it on my Challenger trailer and see if it fits better, its longer and its possible to adjust the angle on the beds. Have not decided if I should buy it or not yet... just checked in on the Challenger at my neighbours and i really love that boat! :) Its hard to get that feeling about this new one...maybe it is to new for me, some how boats from the -80s have more soul... <3 Sure they lean, consume lots of fuel and you have to maintain the crap out of them to keep them running but still...

On thing that you will want to change out is the lanyard kill switch. I bought a 2005 a couple years ago and it would shut down all of a sudden and take a while to fire back up. Through help from the BOS community I learned this model year had problems with these switches deteriorating over time. Switched it out (very inexpensive and easy to do) and the boat has not hiccuped since.

On thing that you will want to change out is the lanyard kill switch. I bought a 2005 a couple years ago and it would shut down all of a sudden and take a while to fire back up. Through help from the BOS community I learned this model year had problems with these switches deteriorating over time. Switched it out (very inexpensive and easy to do) and the boat has not hiccuped since.

• Baller

Sweet ride - I have a 2006 196 and love it.

Ditto on other comments regarding getting a new trailer.

Consider it cheap insurance to protect your new baby - especially if the existing trailer doesn't have brakes.

When I bought my 2006 in 2010 it didn't have a trailer so I bought a new single axle performance trailer w/disc brakes and diamond plate side steps for $3500.

You might be able find a used trailer for less, but make sure it was designed specifically for your boat.

HTH's

Regarding the kill switch you CAN by pass it for free if you are in a pinch. 3500 for the trailer is a good deal for a brand new one. Our yard trailer for direct drives is a 96 Malibu trailer for a response. And it fits any tsc1-3 hull on it quite nice, if you buy used just test fit it.The brakes really depend on what you pull with. But you can replace them yourself pretty cheap. Nice looking boat, enjoy it !!