whats the best digital caliper?

6balls

• Administrators
@6balls I own a number of pairs including the high dollar mitutoyo. I'm absolutely ready to go back to Mechanical dial because all of my digital give me errors periodically.

• Baller_

@6balls : a question with many answers, but what is your criteria for best? Accuracy, reliability, ease of use, value? Lots of options on the market.

Google 'top 10 dial calipers' and you can read a review posted on ezvid.com and note @Skoot1123 suggestion is #1, and same for digital caliper review by consumer essentials which ranks the iGaging #1 which is American made.

Also, you will find a #2 pencil to be a great tool when you start moving your fin...

• Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of mechanical calipers for fin tuning. Digital really doesn't add anything except the chance to fail if it gets too wet.

I do have an El Cheapo digital caliper for other projects, just because it's so quick to use. I think it's one of the Harbor Freight sub-brands like Pittsburgh or something? It's neither big enough nor accurate enough for fin tuning, though.

• Baller

So it looks like the topic of this thread might be getting modified a bit to just the best caliper? Is there an overall preference on this forum actually FOR analog and AGAINST digital?

Just like the OP, I also have bought fin whisperer but have not yet bought the calipers and would love some help and recommendations on choosing.

• Baller
To get a feel for the quality of the caliper you just bought (or want to get) you will need to slide the jaws apart a number (ie: 30) of times and get a feel of how smoothly the jaws slide apart. The smoother they are the better the quality of the instrument. The smoothness is an indication of how well the gears mesh/match. A quick method to learn how to take measurements is to practice taking measurements on a piece of paper (which is about 2-3 thousands thick: 0.002 - 0.003"). When you can smoothly slide the paper from between the caliper jaws each time you take a measurement, then you are beginning to get the proper "feel" of the caliper. Everyone will have a little different "feel" for their caliper - @SkiJay mentions this in his book - which is why you may obtain different fin data points from your friends. Practice makes. . . . . better.

• Baller

OK, friendly amendment...best caliper. I guess I don't care if digital. I've adjusted by thumbnail my whole life with limited understanding and (sorry) thought all the adjusting was kinda funny. Figured there's a lot more wrong with me than the ski.

Now thinking tune the ski to me...whatever me may be. Gosh what a knucklehead I've been.

Will look at the igaging digital and mitutoyo mechanical.

Thanks all.

• Baller

I have many calipers, the Mitutoyio 8" Coolant Proof to my opinion is the best, it can only fail when battery's life is ending or when using the wrong batteries. I have an Analog one but as I'm getting older I'm having a bad time seeing the readings.

If you are riding Goodes you need a Slot Caliper in order to put factory, share or compare, numbers.

• Baller
@6balls many years ago I purchased a ski thru Steve Schnitzer and he sent me a 8 inch digital caliper as part of a promo he had going. This caliper has always worked very well for me. I think it is a Neiko but not sure since there are no markings either on the case or the caliper, only "made in China". I would suggest that you buy a 9 or 10 inch caliper. You can then measure the "total distance from the tail"(distance from the leading edge of the fin to the rear of the ski). I use this measurement to more accurately move the fin fore and aft without changing anything else. The 8 inch caliper is not long enough for this measurement most of the time.

• Baller

@gmut good idea on 10'' caliper. It's clear from fin whispering that the LE measurement (front of fin from rear of ski--leading edge) is the main driver of tip sensitivity.

Having said that, one can measure DFT and FL, then add them to get LE. Granted each math step presents some chance of error...

• Baller
Calipers are normally sold in 4", 6", 8", and 12" or larger. I've never seen a 9" or 10" dial caliper before so the next step up from the 8" is the 12" and they are larger in every way which would take up more space in your toolbox. The 12" might also be a little harder to measure with unless you have good skills with the dial caliper because it is heaver. My 8" has always worked for measuring tail of ski to tip of fin. A 7.000" long fin plus .800" from tail is 7.800", less then 8".

• Baller
A 12" caliper is not only longer but is also larger in volume, when compared with an 8", depth measures the same and DFT might be within a 0.0001" but length deference might be significant. When you measure length with tips you press the caliper with your thumb against the ski and a 12" sits higher giving slightly different numbers. If you measure with jaws the difference increases.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 yes soon to be a dark lord. Maybe finally tuning a ski instead of only horsing it around will provide a buoy or two. Alternatively, I could just let you keep setting up skis and stealing them...that's been a decent strategy as well.