What's your focus this year?

So_I_Ski

I've been a sports addict since I was a kid (now over 60) and I've participated in practically every sport you can think of, many of them competitively. What I find unique about waterskiing is that it might be the only sport I am aware of or have done myself where repetition alone will have no affect whatsoever improving your scores or results. In other words, in virtually every other sport, even if your technique is flawed, you can still progress albeit slowly, with enough repetition. But in waterskiing, progress is virtually impossible unless your technique changes or improves. If you haven't accomplished certain techniques that higher level skiers have for a given line length, you will simply never make that pass.

Now, you may or may not agree with that premise but my question is, with ski season approaching, what changes in technique do you believe will permit you to the make a full pass that you have never completed before and what line length is that?

• Administrators
A full line length is a lot for many of us. Not sure I am ever going to get out the gates at 39. To run more 38s and get farther at 39 I suspect that I need to reinvent my whole on side turn.

• Elite Skier
I need to be taller on my ski into and off the wakes. The amount of time I lose just to stand back up is making my 39off more down course than needed, and not allowing me to be in the right spot of the course at 41off. Clearly, I'd like to say that when I fix this I'll be running 41off, but I'll take a consistent 3 and easier 39off passes :smiley:

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

This is tough... But really good to put on paper. My first goal is to get my new ski and front binding dialed in. After that, I will focus on two main things: 1. keep working on my gates with the information learned from a Chirs Parrish clinic last year and 2. work on my positioning over the ski to be more centered. Too far back most of the time today.

• Baller
I was going to say I need to get taller in the preturn, but then I read the post from @Luzz about getting taller into and off the wakes. So, guess I need to be thinking earlier to get tall. Maybe thinking of it sooner, might happen by preturn. Hopefully, this helps me use more of the front half of the ski, since I paid for the whole 65.25 inches.

• Baller_

@kurt, I doubt you will have to ski 36. I'm probably the only one that will and, as you know, I am no competitive threat.

My goal is to improve my gate into 1 ball, so that I am not crushing into the ski on the turn and keep the speed up. A secondary goal is a better, snappier finish on my offside (2, 4) so that I have better cross-course angle. After watching the Terry Winter 41 video, that is so critical and his is very impressive.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators
@ToddL you are closer to a lifetime ban everyday. One of my goals for the year is to improve the quality of the content on this website and that may include weeding out people that write a lot of words but don't say anything.

• Baller

I embarrassingly figured out that one core fundamental of skiing is what you do between the balls vs making turns...and I clued in after last season was over so a long winter in Canadia has been painful.

Being somewhat athletic I am interested to take on the principles & technique good skiers use to execute between the balls.

Racing the boat to the ball as one of the adams put it was a light bulb thread for me too. -15@34 would be great and a stretch to -22 at any speed.